Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:25:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 October 2016 - 19:03 Paddington to Penzance terminated at Reading  (Read 67670 times)
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2016, 16:57:02 »

It seems that the options for an additional service, bearing in mind rolling stock or pathways is totally out of the
question for a Friday evening.
 I seem to remember in the mid 1970's travelling on a Paddington - Penzance service. It was not a Sleeper Service,
as it was all seated accommodation. Left Paddington about 2300, arriving Penzance about 0800. No buffet, but a wheeled trolley with a tea-pot. Might have been pre-HST (High Speed Train) days as it was Loco and coaches. Perhaps some of our
mature members could help out with the details.
Point being that if GWR (Great Western Railway) are sincere in their efforts to alleviate over crowding, would not a service be feasible.
Even to the extent of chartering Loco's/Coaches, they have used similar arrangements before.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 18:48:16 »

... I seem to remember in the mid 1970's travelling on a Paddington - Penzance service. It was not a Sleeper Service, as it was all seated accommodation. Left Paddington about 2300, arriving Penzance about 0800. No buffet, but a wheeled trolley with a tea-pot. ...

I'm not sure about the 1970s, but I do remember using a "Nightrider" service in the 1980s. That was from Falkirk Grahamston to Peterborough, return on Sunday to Falkirk High (probably due to engineering work) and a walk down the hill to Grahamston.

These trains were all old (though not very old) first class open saloons, so as to give you some prospect of a bit of half-sleep anyway. They were promoted as a cheap option, and not just cheaper than a sleeper, rather than extra capacity. And they did run some rather odd routes.

As I recall it, night trains had almost died out by then and the "Nightrider" branding was an attempt to bring them back and perhaps to pick up some passengers from the long-distance coach market.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 19:28:54 by stuving » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2016, 18:58:58 »

To inform myself (and the discussion) I took a look at the down main departures on a Friday evening. 

18:22 Hereford
18:25 Heathrow
18:30 Weston-super-Mare
18:35 Plymouth
18:40 Heathrow
18:45 Swansea
18:47 Cheltenham Spa
18:50 Oxford
18:55 Heathrow
19:00 Bristol
19:03 Penzance
19:05 Henley on Thames
19:10 Heathrow
19:12 Bristol
19:15 Swansea
19:18 Oxford
19:22 Hereford
19:25 Heathrow
19:30 Weston-super-Mare
19:40 Heathrow

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 19:26:00 »

I seem to remember the service from Pad to Plymouth I used it in 1974 on my first Railrover trip .
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 19:38:47 »

It seems that the options for an additional service, bearing in mind rolling stock or pathways is totally out of the
question for a Friday evening.
 I seem to remember in the mid 1970's travelling on a Paddington - Penzance service. It was not a Sleeper Service,
as it was all seated accommodation. Left Paddington about 2300, arriving Penzance about 0800. No buffet, but a wheeled trolley with a tea-pot. Might have been pre-HST (High Speed Train) days as it was Loco and coaches. Perhaps some of our
mature members could help out with the details.
Point being that if GWR (Great Western Railway) are sincere in their efforts to alleviate over crowding, would not a service be feasible.
Even to the extent of chartering Loco's/Coaches, they have used similar arrangements before.

Even into the late 80's an additional Friday Only 23XX Pad to Penzance relief (seating only) operated as the Night Riveria couldn't cope with demand.
1903 should be Advance tickets in very limited no's to Plymouth & Cornwall only , also an easement on Friday 1803 for Super Off Peak ticket holders perhaps ?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 20:52:27 »

To inform myself (and the discussion) I took a look at the down main departures on a Friday evening.

No spare spaces there as you can see, unless you move some of the Heathrow's forward a couple of minutes so that the odd five minute gaps become three minutes.  In practice that gives even less chance to recover from delays and whilst three minute departures might work, when you factor in arrivals as well it becomes virtually impossible to path everything efficiently.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 20:54:15 »

Are those all the trains that Paddington can send out?

It is astonishing after all these very expensive station upgrades only Reading has added significant capacity.

If Paddington cannot deliver more trains, then it has to deliver longer trains on these popular routes, why not 14/15 carriage trains that only stop at fixed stations and split in tow along the route.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 21:03:54 »

It is astonishing after all these very expensive station upgrades only Reading has added significant capacity.

If Paddington cannot deliver more trains, then it has to deliver longer trains on these popular routes, why not 14/15 carriage trains that only stop at fixed stations and split in tow along the route.

What about headways between each train ?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 21:12:09 »

It's only the trains that use the main lines.  As phile states, the limiting factor is now the headways needed.  IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will provide some improvement with 9/10 carriage trains.

My hope is that a small number of HST (High Speed Train)'s are retained for peak days and special events, of which there are numerous throughout the year.  They could even be leased to other operators when available. Though I suspect I will probably be disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 21:39:25 by John R » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 21:17:24 »

Well thats about a 3.5 minute headway continuous for a single hour.  Thats pretty good going for the Down Main thats signalled for a three minute headway and allows for absolute minimum perturbation.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 21:33:41 »

My hope is that a small number of HST (High Speed Train)'s are retained for peak days and special events, of which there are numerous throughout the year.  They could even be leased to other operators when available. Though I suspect I will probably be disappointed.

I agree with your hope - the challenge will be keeping staff with the traction knowledge and ensuring servicing can still be carried out.  That's even before someone pays for retention toilets and plug doors.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 21:37:48 »

Are most passengers for Cornwall from Paddington or further west? Could a Cornwall service turn round at
Reading instead of Paddington?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 21:39:11 »

Overcrowding on certain West of England down services has been an issue for as long as I can remember but, anecdotally, seems to be getting worse. I can't believe GWR (Great Western Railway) don't know which trains are concerned. It is a problem that requires a quick fix, even if only for a relatively short period until the new trains arrive, and I am convinced that 'passengers with reservations only' services, with appropriate boarding controls at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), is the way forward.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 21:52:58 »

Overcrowding on certain West of England down services has been an issue for as long as I can remember but, anecdotally, seems to be getting worse. I can't believe GWR (Great Western Railway) don't know which trains are concerned. It is a problem that requires a quick fix, even if only for a relatively short period until the new trains arrive, and I am convinced that 'passengers with reservations only' services, with appropriate boarding controls at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), is the way forward.

But by having a "reservation only train" means those without reservations are going to pile onto the next service meaning you'll be back to square one.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2016, 07:54:49 »

But by having a "reservation only train" means those without reservations are going to pile onto the next service meaning you'll be back to square one.

I don't think you would be, because it's the last Cornish service of the day & one of the main problems with the 1903 (in particular) is that it picks up a lot of commuter traffic to Reading/Newbury - take that out of the equation and those commuting passengers would spread out amongst other local and HST (High Speed Train) services before/after the 1903.

Alternatively for a quicker (instant if there is the will) fix just manage the boarding and don't let Reading passengers board the 1903 - is that beyond the wit/capability of the ticket gates/staff?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: