I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:50:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly named train to mark re-opening of Severn Tunnel - Y Cymro - 'The Welshman'  (Read 14966 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: October 21, 2016, 22:15:53 »

From the Great Western Railway press release:

Newly named 500 seat train to mark re-opening of Seven Tunnel - Y Cymro - The Welshman - to start this Monday

Great Western Railway is to launch The Welshman this Monday, one of 59 daily train services between Cardiff and London Paddington, to mark the re-opening of the Severn Tunnel.

Taking the number of direct daily services from Cardiff to London Paddington back to 29 a day, the 0728 service from Swansea will be named Y Cymro – The Welshman.

It joins three other named week day services between London Paddington and South Wales: The Red Dragon; St David and The Capitals United.

Helping to provide over 30,000 seats a day between south Wales and London Paddington, the service will take 2 hours and 07 minutes from Cardiff – just seven minutes more than the minimum check-in time advised by airports.

The service calls at Cardiff at 0825 before making its way towards London for arrival into Paddington at 1032.

The tunnel is to re-open on Saturday 22 October, after its six-week closure for Network Rail electrification works.

GWR (Great Western Railway) Managing Director Mark Hopwood said: “With a large number of passengers travelling by train between Cardiff and London Paddington, it is clear that rail remains the most convenient way to travel. And this Saturday journeys will be quicker again, taking a little over two hours after the six-week closure of Severn Tunnel; and at the same lead in Advance Single Fare price of just £18.00.

“I appreciate how disruptive this work may have been for some and I would like to thank them for your patience during the last six weeks. The vital work will modernise the railway between South Wales and London which, once complete, will enable us to deliver more frequent services, more seats, and to reduce journey times."

During the work Network Rail installed overhead lines to power GWR’s new Intercity Express Trains (IETs (Intercity Express Train)).

The new IETs will begin to enter service on selected routes from next summer, with Network Rail expected to complete electrification of the line between London Paddington to Cardiff by 2019. Once complete South Wales customers will experience quicker journey times, up to 21 minutes between Swansea and London Paddington, and more seats – up to a 25% increase in seats per train compared to existing High Speed Trains.

Alongside Y Cymro, The Welshman, there are 58 trains a day operating between Cardiff and London Paddington, each providing over 500 seats.

Some 32 train services a day operated during the Severn Tunnel work

Advance single tickets are available from £18.00 from Cardiff Central to London Paddington, without the need to pay extra for reservations or for more than one bag.

Named trains to/from Wales

The Capital United

·         0558 Swansea to London Paddington (Monday to Friday)
·         1645 London Paddington to Swansea (Monday to Friday)

The Capitals United Operates between London Paddington, Cardiff Central and Swansea. The name was originally used between 1956 and 1963 by British Railways and has been reintroduced by GWR to highlight the continuing importance of the rail link between the capitals of England and Wales

The Red Dragon

·         0730 Carmarthen to London Paddington (Monday to Friday)
·         1715 London Paddington to Carmarthen (Monday to Friday)

The Red Dragon runs between London Paddington and Carmarthen, and is named after the mythical Red Dragon (known in Welsh as Y Ddraig Goch) that appears on the Welsh national flag. Although the flag was only granted official status in 1959, it is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use, although the origins are now lost in history and myth.

The St David

·         0745 London Paddington to Swansea (Monday to Friday)
·         1128 Swansea to London Paddington (Monday to Friday)

The St David operates between Swansea and London Paddington and is named after the patron saint of Wales (in Welsh, Dewi Sant). St David was born sometime between 462 and 512 and was officially recognised as the patron saint of Wales in 1120.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 23:24:25 »

Erm, so when did the 7.28 SWA» (Swansea - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) ever stop long term?

I call marketing bullsh1t!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 23:52:00 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) clearly on the offensive to the threat from the air route to/from London City.  Massive problems at the airport this evening though with an evacuation, 26 people needing emergency treatment and two people hospitalised.  GWR accepting paper and electronic boarding passes this evening.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 17:39:35 »

Interesting that they were accepting airline boarding passes on the trains - this and the mention of the flight times in the above press release suggest to me that FGW (First Great Western) are more concerned about the LCY flights than I and others on here had previously thought.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 14:39:26 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) clearly on the offensive to the threat from the air route to/from London City.  Massive problems at the airport this evening though with an evacuation, 26 people needing emergency treatment and two people hospitalised.  GWR accepting paper and electronic boarding passes this evening.

I have been very critical of GWR in the past, but surely you are not suggesting that GWR are spaying noxious substances at LCY!!

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 19:07:29 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:09:14 »

A couple of pictures of 43187 on a wet Monday in Swindon

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:52:40 »

Thanks for the photos.  The Welsh dragon can be stylised many ways, but I notice that the artwork on the side of the HST (High Speed Train) is essentially identical to the logo of the Welsh Government with a different curl of the tail added.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:07:38 »

Interesting that they were accepting airline boarding passes on the trains - this and the mention of the flight times in the above press release suggest to me that FGW (First Great Western) are more concerned about the LCY flights than I and others on here had previously thought.

Possibly, though perhaps they're just doing the sensible thing of reasserting their market dominance as quickly as possible now that normal journey times have resumed, and beginning the build up towards the introduction of the new trains and reduced journey times in a couple of years.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 22:05:17 »

the artwork on the side of the HST (High Speed Train) is essentially identical to the logo of the Welsh Government with a different curl of the tail added.
I was thinking it looked the same as the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) logo, but I think the front leg pointing forward on the GWR (Great Western Railway) one looks longer and the front leg with foot on the ground shorter. I also think they weren't planning ahead when they came up with the livery, adding the dragon has created a bit of a cluttered area at the front with the GWR logo and a big blank space behind. I suppose if they had placed the GWR logo differently to begin with it probably would have looked odd without the dragon.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 22:09:19 »

The thing I noticed was the state of the raised GWR (Great Western Railway) lettering.  When it was launched great play was made of the fact they would be regularly polished to keep them pristine.  It doesn't really show in the photos but they could do with some brasso!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 22:18:26 »

Is it the intention that the Y Cymro power car(s) will always form the 0728 from Swansea? Doesn't that make it rather restrictive for GWR (Great Western Railway)? They already have the challenge of keeping the green sets together. I'd have thought it must make the maintenance schedule something of a nightmare.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 22:27:37 »

I doubt it will be tomorrow as it is ending today at Laira depot in Plymouth having run down there on the infamous 19:03 from Paddington.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 22:35:40 »

Better get some masking tape quickly and change Cymro to Kernow  Grin
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 14:59:57 »

Is it the intention that the Y Cymro power car(s) will always form the 0728 from Swansea? Doesn't that make it rather restrictive for GWR (Great Western Railway)? They already have the challenge of keeping the green sets together. I'd have thought it must make the maintenance schedule something of a nightmare.

No.  It won't work it every day, it will cycle round like the rest.   The significance is in the name asnone of the other named ones work the trains every day.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: