Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:27:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon Bus Station to be non smoking area from 31 Oct 16  (Read 6133 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2016, 18:41:54 »

From YouTube

https://youtu.be/qvloo1s3B1o
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 23:05:14 »

Well, that seems to have stubbed out this particular topic.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 23:53:52 »

Now, what exact legislation are Swindon Borough Council using to enforce this?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 06:14:03 »

As I understand it the Health Act 2006 gives landowners the power to ban smoking on land they own.

Thus hospitals can make smoking illegal in their buildings and grounds and the railways on platforms whether enclosed or not.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:04:11 »

As I understand it the Health Act 2006 gives landowners the power to ban smoking on land they own.

Thus hospitals can make smoking illegal in their buildings and grounds and the railways on platforms whether enclosed or not.

Not that act - the Health Act 2006 declared all public places and places of employment smoke-free, provided they are enclosed or substantially enclosed. The list can be altered, but only by an "appropriate national authority". Individual owners, proprietors, and even local authorities are not given any powers to designate places, but they may have some by virtue of other statutes or common law, or perhaps by delegation.

What is "substantially enclosed", and who does the enforcing (local authorities), was in The Smoke-free (Premises and Enforcement) Regulations 2006:
2.—(1) For the purposes of section 2 of the Act, premises are enclosed if they—

(a)have a ceiling or roof; and

(b)except for doors, windows and passageways, are wholly enclosed either permanently or temporarily.

(2) For the purposes of section 2 of the Act, premises are substantially enclosed if they have a ceiling or roof but there is—

(a)an opening in the walls; or

(b)an aggregate area of openings in the walls,

which is less than half of the area of the walls, including other structures that serve the purpose of walls and constitute the perimeter of the premises.

(3) In determining the area of an opening or an aggregate area of openings for the purposes of paragraph (2), no account is to be taken of openings in which there are doors, windows or other fittings that can be opened or shut.

(4) In this regulation “roof” includes any fixed or moveable structure or device which is capable of covering all or part of the premises as a roof, including, for example, a canvas awning.

On those grounds Swindon Bus Station isn't covered - but it can be added by one of those appropriate national authorities. They must be defined somewhere, probably another regulation, but I can't find it.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 13:05:28 »

I don't see why a landowner would need a statutory power to ban smoking on their land.  It just would not be a criminal offence.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:50:46 »

Not before time. If I lived closer, I would volunteer to hand out advice leaflets for those wanting to quit, and buckets of water to deal with anyone who thinks that compliance with the policy is voluntary.

Yes, I did smoke until 12 May 1991. Since I quit, I have more money to spend*.

*On drink

Now, please!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 13:18:02 »

*On drink

A man after my own heart.  There are none so righteous as the converted!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 13:30:46 »

*On drink

A man after my own heart.  There are none so righteous as the converted!

And none so irritating as the righteous converted  Roll Eyes
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 14:14:22 »

Now that Slough bus station has been flattened surely Swindon bus station has taken over as one of the grimmest constructions in the country?

I used to spend a day or two every month working in Swindon and heading back to the railway station I always used to smile at the sign that said "Bus station (Buses)".......did the locals really need to be advised as to what they could find there?  Grin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 14:21:44 by TaplowGreen » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 08:25:48 »

I don't see why a landowner would need a statutory power to ban smoking on their land.  It just would not be a criminal offence.

This. Is correct. Unable to enforce.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:40 »

Swindon Bus Station is on Council owned land. They may well be able to enforce Fixed Penalties under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, which is criminal law.

Notices stating that smoking is an offence (in a defined area) similar to those for littering and dog fouling, should suffice. 

I don't agree that a Council should have such a power to enforce in areas that are open or substantially open, but they probably could criminally enforce if they wanted to.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 10:34:32 »

Agree in so far that dropping butts is enforceable of course, but smoking in the open air, even within defined privately-owned area has never been successfully enforced (yet). Removal of said person is always possible of course.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:20:59 »

A good move IMO (in my opinion) regardless of whether it's legally enforceable or not. I'd note that in some countries all railway stations and bus stops are non-smoking by law, and I think in Canada (maybe only certain provinces) that extends to parks.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:23:54 »

I'd note that in some countries all railway stations and bus stops are non-smoking by law

Inside stations & under enclosed bus stops it is here too. NR» (Network Rail - home page) are trying to ban outside some station entrances in completely open areas. Doubtful as to whether that is enforceable except to eject said smoker from the land in question
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: