I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:59:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CrossCountry HST divided at Lawrence Hill. 31st October 2016  (Read 9199 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2016, 14:31:41 »

1S51, the 1224 Exeter St Davids - Dundee, a CrossCountry 2+7 HST (High Speed Train) set, has divided just north of Lawrence Hill station. The front power car has split from the rest of the train.

The Up Filton line is currently (1430) blocked while GWR (Great Western Railway) fitters from St Phillips Marsh attend the scene.  Once fitters confirm the train is safe to move the front power car will go forward to Bristol Parkway, while the remaining train will return to Bristol TM(resolve).

A very unusual occurrence. I wonder if the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will be informed.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 16:15:37 »

Screen print attached from Facebook southwest railways group

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 16:23:08 »

Will split tickets be valid, or compulsory Huh

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 19:38:46 »

An industry wide check on all HST (High Speed Train) couplers has been put in place this evening.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 19:55:07 »

I'd heard XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) were planning to divide and reform some sets to create more capacity, but didn't expect it this soon.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:09:23 »

A very unusual occurrence. I wonder if the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will be informed.

Unusual, or unprecedented? There was the potential for disaster, even if the outcome was mere inconvenience, so I suppose the RAIB will need to be told. If no-one knows whether they should be told or not, I would imagine the default position is to give them a call.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:17:59 »

I understand as soon as the brake lines separated it would apply emergency brakes throughout. Lucky nobody in that vestibule at the split, but guess that's unlikely between a power car and coach.
Reports elsewhere the lead carriage was recently back from its C4 work/exam.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:38:43 »

Lucky nobody in that vestibule at the split, but guess that's unlikely between a power car and coach.

On XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) sets there is public access to the vestibules at both ends.  At the standard class end there is the bike store while at the first class end you have the usual sliding door leading out to the vestibule.

It is slightly different on GWR (Great Western Railway) sets.  The TM(resolve)'s office is at the standard class end, but you can access the vestibule at the first class end - and there is a toilet there too.

If the brakes suddenly came on and you are in the vestibule, you could be thrown forward - doesn't bear thinking about.
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:21:25 »

Unusual, or unprecedented? There was the potential for disaster, even if the outcome was mere inconvenience, so I suppose the RAIB will need to be told. If no-one knows whether they should be told or not, I would imagine the default position is to give them a call.

I understand as soon as the brake lines separated it would apply emergency brakes throughout. Lucky nobody in that vestibule at the split, but guess that's unlikely between a power car and coach.
Reports elsewhere the lead carriage was recently back from its C4 work/exam.

Lucky nobody in that vestibule at the split, but guess that's unlikely between a power car and coach.

On XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) sets there is public access to the vestibules at both ends.  At the standard class end there is the bike store while at the first class end you have the usual sliding door leading out to the vestibule.

It is slightly different on GWR (Great Western Railway) sets.  The TM(resolve)'s office is at the standard class end, but you can access the vestibule at the first class end - and there is a toilet there too.

If the brakes suddenly came on and you are in the vestibule, you could be thrown forward - doesn't bear thinking about.

It's unusual...this is not the first time this has happened to a HST (High Speed Train) (or other T&RS) albeit with altered circumstances. Wink

No potential for disaster...as correctly stated - as soon as the brake pipe hoses are parted the brakes will apply - that is the design. Cool

There are locked inward opening gangway end doors so nobody is getting 'thrown' out of the vestibule Hollywod style. Roll Eyes

The RAIB will always be informed & they will advise what actions they require ie. Move nothing/Recover but quarantine/No further action required etc.  Grin

Cant comment further on the rest but you only have to look at the conditon of the bogies and coupler on the coaches in the picture and the powercar to start to work things out.  Lips sealed
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 13:16:12 »

I assume there was a robust pull-apart test after coupling up initially - not infallible I know.

Comforting to see that the twist-lock couplers on the air lines parted as per design rather than ripping the hoses from their mountings.  It was a question I asked of my EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) trained trainer when I was learning our air-braked stock.  I have to say that the space to work is somewhat tighter in there compared to one vacuum hose and one steam heating pipe.

The electric socket looks a bit traumatised though.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 16:11:50 »

I assume there was a robust pull-apart test after coupling up initially - not infallible I know.

It had travelled as a minimum Leeds- Exeter- where it separated, since any depot test.

The buckeye pin reportedly failed on the power car. All HST (High Speed Train) power cars for all TOCs (Train Operating Company) were subject to inspection last night.

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 19:12:17 »

The solo power car has now just made it's way to St Philips Marsh.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O40723/2016/11/01/advanced
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 21:04:00 »

Family and I travelled on the 0928 Derby to Birmingham (HST (High Speed Train)) on Sunday.  Was this the same set?
It would have added an extra frisson to the journey had we known what was to happen the next day!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 21:41:30 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s version of the incident (published two hours ago):

CrossCountry train 'splits in two' near Bristol Temple Meads

The 13:30 BST CrossCountry train split in two on Monday shortly after leaving Bristol temple Meads railway station

A train carrying more than 200 passengers "split in two" shortly after departing from a station, it has emerged.

The CrossCountry service was leaving Bristol Temple Meads when the front car separated from the rest of the carriages, the operator said.

It reportedly came to rest 14ft (4m) away.

A CrossCountry spokesman said 209 people were taken off the train, which was moved back into the station.

He said Monday's 13:30 service to Glasgow was travelling at "low speed" and the "onboard safety systems stopped the train immediately".

"At this stage there is nothing to suggest a similar problem is likely to occur on any other train of this type," he said.

An investigation has been launched.

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 22:05:29 »

Well reported BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page).

1330 BST after the end of BST...

A picture of a Voyager.

Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: