Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:15:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington Meet The Manager - 1st December 2016  (Read 143254 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2018, 10:48:01 »

I don't think MH would lower himself to take on the role of a ticket examiner if only to try and improve his public image.
I think it's more that it's not every MD's style to be like that. Doesn't make them a bad MD if being so public isn't something they either don't enjoy or just not a strong point.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2018, 11:39:56 »

I wouldn't want the job of any of the MDs that we're talking about - MH, AM, and JF - and I really doubt I could do the job a fifth as well as they do.  But, yes, their main job is managing and directing (goes with the title!) and that's where they are required to excel. Whether and how their way of working and character filters across the teams they run and though to interaction with the customers who interact with that team isn't necessarily the most-sought, most-required attribute of the job, even though it's the attribute which we as customers see.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2018, 15:30:39 »

I wouldn't want the job of any of the MDs that we're talking about - MH, AM, and JF - and I really doubt I could do the job a fifth as well as they do.  But, yes, their main job is managing and directing (goes with the title!) and that's where they are required to excel. Whether and how their way of working and character filters across the teams they run and though to interaction with the customers who interact with that team isn't necessarily the most-sought, most-required attribute of the job, even though it's the attribute which we as customers see.

The "main job" of an MD is to provide Leadership, as distinct from management. He is also accountable for the company's performance - judging by the current level at GWR (Great Western Railway), suggesting he does it "well" is a highly subjective judgement.

My MD isn't a huge fan of dealing with the public, but he respects them as his customers so he makes the effort to engage with them from time to time - it goes with the pay grade, and they respect him in turn because he makes the effort. It also gives him the sort of insight into perception of his Company that a thousand Board reports never could. Why join a public facing organisation if you never want to face the public?

An MD will generally set the tone for organisational culture as well and this permeates throughout the company -perhaps it's legitimate to suggest that, given his reluctance to leave his office and meet his customers, there might be a connection between that and a "filtering across his teams" with the outcome being the appallingly low levels of customer service which his Company provides......?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2018, 15:50:46 »

I used to love watching "Back to the shopfloor" on BBC2 years ago - the top management went back to the ground level to understand the impacts their decisions etc had. It was always interesting seeing how they had no idea about certain things, because it was filtered at every level of management and by the time it got to them at the top, everything was perfect and everyone was happy.

Having MH work as a customer service rep at any of the major GWR (Great Western Railway) stations for a couple of days would soon bring a sense of reality to him. Either that or watch an episode of Paddington 24/7 :-)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2018, 17:50:06 »

He was involved with customer services early in his career.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2018, 18:16:37 »

I don;t often defend FGW (First Great Western) but in large companies it can be hard to see the problems without getting bogged down in the detail.

I've seen my two page reports on a project I've been involved in slimmed down to 1 line for an exec member. I never know at which point do I use my one chance to see them (and it generally will only be one) to explain that technically it was 'delivered on time and hit savings targets' but has created complicated workflows and loads of additional costs and effort elsewhere. To a certain extent this is where the MD has to surround him/herself with a senior management team who don't only think about how things reflect on them rather but on  other staff/customers or the organisation.

From the dizzy heights of lower, middle management I am a big fan of the back to floor type exercises and may have occasionally made sure certain staff are on shift to express their opinions.

I'd imagine for MH he knows the performance indicators are bad but as there's a rational behind them (trains/training/network rail) it can be hard to see the intangible impact on passengers. It may be its a very top down lead organisation which makes delivering change difficult.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2019, 18:26:00 »

…….as over 6 months has gone by, I thought I'd drop GWR (Great Western Railway) a line and ask for the details of the next "Meet the Manager" session at Paddington...……….had to chase them for a reply and when it came...….guess what?

"No date has been arranged yet"

Ah well, ask again in 6 months I guess?  Roll Eyes
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2019, 18:32:18 »

It’s a model that has worked well for GWR (Great Western Railway) for 4 years so I don’t see them upgrading to ‘keen to hear your views’ anytime soon.

Contemptuous.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: