Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 22:49:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • TransWilts Santa Train: December 04, 2016
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4th December 2016 - TransWilts Santa Train  (Read 10749 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:31:22 »

Santa will be on the trains that leave MELKSHAM at 13:45 and 17:45 on Sunday, 4th December 2016.

Tickets on sale at the Melksham Tourist Information Centre; pre booking essential.  £10 adult, £5 child ... a round trip of just over an hour.  Price included present (for children), mined pie, seasonal drink.

See http//twcrp.info/santa

"Elves" to help / assist welcome - let me know. If you want to come and see Santa as a family / customer rather than helper let me know too if you can't get to the TIC (Tourist Information Centre).

Thanks to GWR (Great Western Railway) for arranging for an extra carriage on these services.  Three years ago, when the trains were carrying fresh air, we could simply take over a carriage. Now we need an extra one, and we have to limit numbers too due to the short platform at Melksham and train capacity once the regular customer base is accommodated.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:42:41 »

...  Price included present (for children), mined pie, seasonal drink.

Does the price include a trip to the famous Melksham pie mines as well?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:56:57 »

...  Price included present (for children), mined pie, seasonal drink.

Does the price include a trip to the famous Melksham pie mines as well?

The pies are mined from the premises of a local supplier, who would be happy to welcome visitors free of charge in the anticipation of them being tempted to make purchases from him!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 22:18:13 »

Ah, so it's an open cast mine, rather than an underground one, then.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:54:13 »

We still have a couple of dozen tickets for the 13:45 ... if anyone can't make the Melksham TIC (Tourist Information Centre) but wishes to bring a group along, please let me know by message or email by Wednesday and I can arrange "tickets on departure".

Also on the lookout for one or two more helpers ...

* Evening on 2nd December from 18:30 - present wrapping at Well House Manor

* From 13:00 on 4th December - station marshall at Melksham; also someone to help load and accompany presents from Melksham at around 12:45 via Swindon, and to greet Santa when he joins the train at Chippenham at 13:35

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:45:39 »

All sold out ... and just the right number of helpers yesterday!

These days, taking and public sharing of individual pictures with Santa (other than your own!) isn't something you can automatically do ... so some special moments aren't captured above.   Suffice to say great time had by all - and it's a huge team effort.    Here's my "mop up" email:

A massive “Thank you” to everyone who helped - on the day, or in the run up with designing publicity, adding carriages, wrapping presents and selling tickets for this year’s Santa Trip from Melksham.   

Nearly 50 adults and 40 children travelled by train at about 2 O’Clock on Sunday from Melksham via Trowbridge to Westbury and back, arriving into Melksham at about 3 p.m.  Santa chatted with all the children and their parent / guardians, and gave presents out to all the children, ably helped by Marianne and John as his elves. Peter donated a choice of red or white wine for the cults, and Eddy and Rolf distributed minced pies to all, and soft drinks to the children (and to adults who preferred soft drinks to wine).  Jonathan and Paul from the British Transport Police met everyone in our party, and had goodie bags for all the children too - all together making it a really great trip that was enjoyed by all.    And a big “thank you” to the train crew too, who put up with our party and all the noise and mess added on to their scheduled train.

There are many people involved in running the Santa Trip outside the hour or so that the train’s running.   A big “thank you” to James Wilcox of GWR (Great Western Railway) for arranging the extra carriage, and (James) please pass on our thanks. to the team at St Phillp’s Marsh who found the carriage, and to your Westbury crew who staffed both of the round  trips from Westbury.  A big “thank you” to Lisa for designing and printing the adverts and tickets.  To the Toy Shop in Melksham for suggesting and managing the presents that Santa gave out. To Peter for sourcing and delivering ‘glasses’, trays and wine, and to the BTP (British Transport Police) for finding all those goody bags and coming along.  To Terri, Pauline and their team at the Tourist Information Centre for their answering of queries and ticket sales. Thank you to John, Marianne, Rolf and Eddy for helping wrap last week, for organising parking and crowd safety - and an extra thank you to Eddy for staying on the train when it left Melksham to tidy our carriage up before handing it back to GWR.   Finally - big thank you to Melksham Town and Without councils, and to Wiltshire Council, for their ongoing support without which trips like this wouldn’t be possible.

The biggest "Thank You" of all is to Santa.  Although this is his busiest time of year, he somehow always manages to make time for the Melksham Rail User Group which organises the trip.   Many people don’t realise it, but without Santa (who also chairs the TransWIlts Community Interest Company in his rest-of-year guise as Paul Johnson)  we wouldn’t have had our current train service at all - the work he’s put in, and very effectively,  has been key to the provision of the current trail service of 8 trains each way per day, and to the success of that trial such that it continues as a permanent service  - which makes a huge difference in the lives of many people. I estimate over 20,000 different people now use the train to from or through Melksham every year, where "before Paul" the figure would have struggled to exceed 1000.

I had the opportunity to speak with many of the people who came along yesterday, and everyone had a really good time.   It was the very first train ride for some of the children, and the first time that some of the adults had caught there train from Melksham; some, indeed, hadn’t realised where the station was until they came along … and I’m sure we’ll see most of them again - if not before Christmas, then in the New Year.   Trains run every day until Christmas Eve, then restart on 27th December.    There WILL be new timetables in due course … but the big news is that the service carries on with no more than a minute or two changed here and there, and your trial period timetable is good right through the winter and up to next May.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 14:29:28 »

I smiled when I saw on our internal systems that a 10-15 minute delay was expected on the train, but that it was important to run the train and minimise that delay because Father Christmas was on it!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 00:28:45 »

Congratulations to grahame, Great Western Railway, British Transport Police, Melksham Rail User Group, TransWilts Community Rail Partnership and everyone else who was involved in producing such a very successful local railway event!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: