Delayed
05:00 Reading to Redhill
05:30 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 05:13:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrification Works in the Bath Spa area - Easter 2017  (Read 2645 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2016, 19:53:41 »

I attended a meeting last week where some of the detail of the blockade at Bath next April was outlined.  Although the work is confined to the Bath area it will an impact on services on the TransWilts.

Posting here because some of the details have yet to be given to local councillors and the like and also the delay announced in the electrification programme may involve more changes, although I understand the blockade will be going ahead.

Work will be carried out between 8th and 23rd April.

There will be no trains through Bath on 8th/9th April, 14th/17th April (Easter Weekend) and 22nd/23rd April.

Due to the listed nature of the station the overhead will be suspended from single columns erected through the centre of the station.  The two tracks will then be slewed to run adjacent to the columns and the platforms built out to meet the tracks.  In doing so the levels will be altered to reduce the current step down from trains and iron out some of the curve.

To achieve this between Monday 10th and Thursday 14th only the current London bound platform will be open for trains in both directions.  The following week (Tuesday 18th to Friday 21st) the down platform will be open for all trains.

The plan is to run three trains an hour in each direction serving Bristol, London, Westbury/Weymouth, Gloucester and South Wales.  There may be extras on Maundy Thursday.

Rail Replacement Buses will operate to Bristol, Chippenham, Trowbridge, Westbury and Frome.  A direct bus will run between Bristol and Castle Cary and services from Bradford-on Avon to stations in the Avon Valley.  There are some concerns that planned roadworks at Temple Gate in Bristol might affect the rail replacement buses heading for Temple Meads.

The usual Cardiff to Portsmouth services will be replaced by a Swindon to Portsmouth service.  This will run hourly with, as a general rule, alternate ones calling at Melksham.

Car parking at the station will be restricted throughout April with workers' compounds being set up at the rear of the station.  Arrangements are being made for car park season ticket holders to park at the Southgate Car Park.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 20:10:38 »

Given today's announcement, I would have thought that there will be a very negative reaction from the travelling public if this work goes ahead. Though I for one hope it does, as it would demonstrate a commitment to finish the route through to Bristol.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 22:16:27 »

Given today's announcement, I would have thought that there will be a very negative reaction from the travelling public if this work goes ahead. Though I for one hope it does, as it would demonstrate a commitment to finish the route through to Bristol.
BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West reported tonight that Network Rail has confirmed that it will be going ahead.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 10:22:01 »

Had confirmation this morning from the project team itself that the work will indeed be going ahead.  The trackworks are needed to allow the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) to run through Bath whether on diesel or electric power.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 00:40:57 »

Yes, that makes sense:

Due to the listed nature of the station the overhead will be suspended from single columns erected through the centre of the station.  The two tracks will then be slewed to run adjacent to the columns and the platforms built out to meet the tracks.  In doing so the levels will be altered to reduce the current step down from trains and iron out some of the curve.

What Brunel would have thought about any such 'ironing out of his curves' is sadly academic now.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 06:04:12 »

What Brunel would have thought about any such 'ironing out of his curves' is sadly academic now.  Roll Eyes

Sadly it is academic as he passed away in 1859.  If both tracks end up in the centre ... he might have thought:

a) "Do we need something to keep the customers dry in that gap between canopy and train?"

b) "What a pity we'll remove the possibility of a middle platform with a single track and a turn back towards Bristol - we'll have to extend the new services to a bay at Chippenham"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:38 »

I will see if I can get an answer to question a at the next meeting.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:22:47 »

a) "Do we need something to keep the customers dry in that gap between canopy and train?"

Attended another meeting last night and the answer is "no".  It is thought that, except at the very busiest of times, people will be able to wait under the existing canopies and only venture out when the train arrives.

It also seems the Cardiff-Portsmouth trains will only be diverted to run from Swindon on the weekends of the 7th/8th April, Good Friday to Easter Monday, and 21st/22nd April.  At other times they will run through Bath using whichever platform is open.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 14:15:23 »

Sadly it is academic as he passed away in 1859.  If both tracks end up in the centre ... he might have thought:

b) "What a pity we'll remove the possibility of a middle platform with a single track and a turn back towards Bristol - we'll have to extend the new services to a bay at Chippenham"

On point b) I think the idea for a service turning back for Bristol at Bath is part of the Bristol Metro scheme and as I understand it the turning back services would wait in the siding at Bathampton junction.

But your point about Chippenham is well made, that station has substantial flows into Bath and Bristol and yet only a 2tph service to those stations.  Whilst 2tph is fine for a longer distance service (ie to London) for a short, busy commuter flow it could do with being improved.  Bath-Bristol is much better served (and due to get better still) and there is an argument (essentially based on the idea of spreading wealth outwards from the cities) that the Chippenham-Bath service frequency should be comparable.   A turnback at Chippenham might help, although there is of course the countering argument that such a turn back should be used for transwiltshire services and also that that the turnback ought to be at Swindon, Didcot, Oxford (as it was previously) or Reading.   
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 14:25:05 »

Tim your mention of Chippenham reminded me of something else that was mentioned last night I hadn't heard before.

Once the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are in and there are four trains an hour between Bristol and London the proposal is one of the extras will run via Hullavington (which we knew) the other will call at Bath Spa and Chippenham and then fast to London. That was news to me.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 16:02:34 »

If so, will that reduce the journey time by more than the small reductions expected from Bath/Chippenham or is it to counteract the IET (Intercity Express Train) diesel effect?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 16:06:04 »

It was said last night that Hitachi are running tests to get some data on what the diesel engines can provide.

Clearly they cannot run any tests through Bath until the gauge clearance work has been completed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 16:23:47 »

Tim your mention of Chippenham reminded me of something else that was mentioned last night I hadn't heard before.

Once the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are in and there are four trains an hour between Bristol and London the proposal is one of the extras will run via Hullavington (which we knew) the other will call at Bath Spa and Chippenham and then fast to London. That was news to me.

Eh?   Kinda gives a problem for Chippenham - Swindon traffic - reduces it to hourly.   I can see that being popular.   But a good help in getting TransWilts up to hourly ;-)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 16:33:15 »

And presumably the same reduction in service between Bath and Swindon?  Which is not resolved with an enhanced TransWilts service!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 17:56:37 »

Eh?   Kinda gives a problem for Chippenham - Swindon traffic - reduces it to hourly.

I'm confused? The extra service via Bath is only in peak times and will run fast from Chippenham, in addition to the 2tph that will normally operate on that route.

The other 'fast' service during the peak is first stop Bristol Parkway before continuing on to Cardiff, with none of the (extra) IEPs operating between Bristol Parkway and Bristol TM(resolve) during the peak hours.

Swindon - Chippenham - Bath will still have 2tph, all throughout the day, (with a 3rd between Chippenham and Bath in the peaks)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: