Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:41:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Tram overturns in Croydon - 7 killed, 51 injured - 9 Nov 2016  (Read 56387 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 16:28:50 »

Daily mail reporting survivors are saying the driver had fell asleep.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 16:39:08 »

Offcial email:

RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) is investigating a fatal accident that occurred near to Sandilands Junction on the London Tramlink system. At around 06:10 hrs on Wednesday 9 November 2016, a tram derailed on the approach to the junction, and turned onto its side. The accident resulted in a number of fatalities and serious injuries (confirmed numbers will be included as an update in due course).

The tram was operating an ‘inbound’ service from New Addington to Wimbledon via Croydon town centre. Sandilands Junction is the point where inbound trams from the Beckenham Junction/Elmers End and New Addington routes converge, shortly before they arrive at Sandilands tram stop (to the east of Croydon town centre). Trams approaching from the New Addington direction have to negotiate a sharp, left-hand curve with a speed limit of 20 km/h (12 mph) before reaching the junction. The derailment occurred on the curve and initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at a significantly higher speed than is permitted.

We are currently collecting evidence needed to identify factors relevant to the cause of the accident and its consequences.

Our investigation is independent of any investigation by the tramway industry, the British Transport Police or by the Office of Rail and Road.

We will publish our findings, including any safety recommendations, at the conclusion of our investigation; these will be available on our website.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 16:41:46 »

I assume that modern trams have automatic systems to prevent overspeeds?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 16:46:06 »

If people were standing, that would presumably make injuries more severe – unfortunately to the point of fatality.

5 dead, 50 injured?.....there are only around 25 seats per tram....so yes, there would have been.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 16:56:26 »

I assume that modern trams have automatic systems to prevent overspeeds?

One would assume so, but I expect we'll learn a lot more about such systems over coming weeks and months is it's pertinent to this accident - I wouldn't know (for example) whether such systems are location specific or merely speed regulators across the whole tram network.  Nor would I know about override and acknowledge button systems.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 16:59:48 »

A remarkably quick initial statement from the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch). That rather suggests they've gathered a wealth of conclusive evidence already.

Pertinent from that statement:

...initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at significantly higher speed than is permitted

I'm reminded of the serious derailment in Spain a couple years ago. Very quickly, thanks to data and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), was it established that excess speed was a factor.

Why is the next question.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 17:00:04 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) are quick off the mark.

Investigation into a fatal accident involving a tram near Sandilands Junction, Croydon, 9 November 2016

RAIB is investigating a fatal accident that occurred near to Sandilands Junction on the London Tramlink system. At around 06:10 hrs on Wednesday 9 November 2016, a tram derailed on the approach to the junction, and turned onto its side. The accident resulted in a number of fatalities and serious injuries (confirmed numbers will be included as an update in due course).

The tram was operating an ‘inbound’ service from New Addington to Wimbledon via Croydon town centre. Sandilands Junction is the point where inbound trams from the Beckenham Junction/Elmers End and New Addington routes converge, shortly before they arrive at Sandilands tram stop (to the east of Croydon town centre). Trams approaching from the New Addington direction have to negotiate a sharp, left-hand curve with a speed limit of 20 km/h (12 mph) before reaching the junction. The derailment occurred on the curve and initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at a significantly higher speed than is permitted.

We are currently collecting evidence needed to identify factors relevant to the cause of the accident and its consequences.

Anyone concerned about friends or family who may have been involved in the tram derailment can call the BTP (British Transport Police) Casualty Bureau - 0800 056 0154

There a photo of said tram in the article
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fatal-tram-accident-in-croydon
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 17:03:39 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) have reported speed limit over curve is 16 mph (25 kmh). I seem to remember Tramlink speedos are in kph.

See above - the BBC are wrong - it is 20kph/12mph
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 17:10:05 »

Updated info in the referenced BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report

Trams are not fitted with any safety protection systems that apply the brakes automatically if they are going too fast, according to the Office of Rail and Road.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2016, 18:05:42 »

Updated info in the referenced BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report

Trams are not fitted with any safety protection systems that apply the brakes automatically if they are going too fast, according to the Office of Rail and Road.

Hopefully they will be in the future.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2016, 18:09:25 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) now reporting the death toll has risen to seven.

Probably for another day but it took a while for the story to reach the news bulletins due to the wall to wall coverage of the American Presidential election.  It was evident pretty early on how serious it was yet the first mention on the BBC was at 12 noon - six hours after it happened.  Personally I question that news judgement.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2016, 18:16:21 »

Sky News were little better. A brief report at 1115. Nothing in the 1130 and 1200 summaries.

Latest statement from the BTP (British Transport Police):

http://media.btp.police.uk/r/13403/updated_statement_on_tram_derailment_-_croydon

Updated statement on tram derailment - Croydon

British Transport Police officers are continuing to work at the scene of a major incident in Croydon.

Emergency services were called to a tram derailment near Sandilands tram stop at 6.13am this morning.

At least seven people are now confirmed as having died as a result of the incident.

Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock said: “This is a tragic incident and our hearts and thoughts go out to all those affected.

“When officers arrived on scene this morning shortly after 6am, they were met with a complex and challenging situation.

“Together with our partners from the other emergency services and with support from London resilience agencies, they have worked through the day, and will continue to work throughout the night, at the scene.

“After liaison with the Coroner, we can confirm that at least seven people have lost their lives as a result of this incident.

“Our officers will continue to work tirelessly throughout the evening to formally identify them and provide care and support for their families.

“Identifying those who have died can be a complex and lengthy process and we want to ensure we get this right.

“We expect to be at the scene for at least the next 24 hours, continuing searches and carrying out forensic examinations in support of the investigation into the circumstances, and in order to provide a report for the Coroner.

“Tomorrow, we will assess how and when it is appropriate to recover the tram and remove it from the tracks.

“I want to thank everyone who assisted at the scene, and behind the scenes, in Croydon today.

“In the coming days, we will continue to work alongside the Rail Accident Investigation Branch to establish the circumstances of how this happened.

“At this stage it is too early to speculate on a single factor being the cause of this incident.”

A 42-year-old man from Beckenham has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and is currently in police custody.

Edited to fix quote - bobm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 18:26:44 by bobm » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2016, 19:34:12 »

The latest BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report fills in one gap in the story,which I had wondered about  - the tram was going towards Wimbledon, so it was going up the left-hand curve towards the junction. To get where it ended up, it had slid a long way on its side, which I think explains the high casualty count. And yes, it was going too fast.

That comes from the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)'s initial announcement:
RAIB is investigating a fatal accident that occurred near to Sandilands Junction on the London Tramlink system. At around 06:10 hrs on Wednesday 9 November 2016, a tram derailed on the approach to the junction, and turned onto its side. The accident resulted in a number of fatalities and serious injuries (confirmed numbers will be included as an update in due course).

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2016, 21:58:28 »

Pages 12 and 13 of the London Evening Standard.  Shocking given it's a London paper and the number of fatalities.  Would the coverage have been any more comprehensive had it been a tube or national rail train I wonder, or we're all eyes obsessed with the USA?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 22:15:43 »

the first mention on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) was at 12 noon - six hours after it happened.  Personally I question that news judgement.

I heard about it on BBC R4 on the Today programme, but it had minimal information and was the 'other' story in the news bulletin as far as I can remember and was not referred to again in the time I was listening. I had to go online to find out more. It was in the 9am bulletin as again with no embellishment. It was mentioned on Venessa Feltz BBC London programme (I went looking for a source of more info) but only in the travel report.

I completely concur with the questioning of the news judgement.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: