09:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 04:00:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: XC December 2017 timetable consultation  (Read 26079 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 10:32:11 »

An opportunity for GWR (Great Western Railway) to use the path by introducing a new service from 21017, perhaps starting back at Westbury.

Could utilise rolling stock from the Thames Valley cascade.

Oh, wait a minute...

I didn't think the cascade had been delayed that much  Shocked

Ahh. I of course meant 2017. But the government definitions of 'paused' and 'deferred'...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 11:43:38 »

Though it's a complete waste sending a voyager to and from Guildford every day for a handful of passengers...
It does maintain a significant chunk of route knowledge for regular diversions, because it runs directly from/to Eastleigh depot via Fareham and Havant.   If they still have to regularly practice that for the few weeks it happens every year, it may still need to run through empty?

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 11:47:02 »

Good point, Paul.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 13:48:58 »

The Bath starter has only been in the timetable since 2010. Introduced solely as an ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) raid and not to provide improved journey oportunities. I guess the finances of this have been marginal.

It was introduced shortly after XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) appointed a new production director, who lived in.... Bath! Nice through journey to Birmingham and the office! Has been for the chop for a few timetable changes now being a once a day in one direction only service.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 17:46:28 »

Richard Gibson, Director of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) communications spent the morning at Railfuture's conference listed elsewhere. Other than highlight the consultation, there were no questions public as he wasn't speaking
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 17:49:48 »

So the director of communications wasn't speaking...?  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 18:55:35 »

The way they have paragraphed it is a bit misleading in places eg:
[Note: A new service would be provided departing Reading at 06:52, arriving into Southampton at 07:44 and Bournemouth at 08:14.The removal of calls at Guildford would affect the following services:
■ 06:02 Guildford to ......

This would suggest that the removal of the Guildford stop makes way for this new 06:52 service. Incorrect, the 06:52 is simply the 08:45 from Bournemouth doing an additional early trip, with the former 06:02 from Guildford starting at Reading instead. As Paul has suggested this could still run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) via Guildford, and/or possibly run as a double unit from Eastleigh to Reading forming both the 06:45 & 06:52. Bit disappointing the 18:08 arrival from Newcastle cant then continue on southwards or do something more useful than running ECS to Eastleigh.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 12:27:03 »

This would suggest that the removal of the Guildford stop makes way for this new 06:52 service. Incorrect, the 06:52 is simply the 08:45 from Bournemouth doing an additional early trip, with the former 06:02 from Guildford starting at Reading instead. As Paul has suggested this could still run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) via Guildford, and/or possibly run as a double unit from Eastleigh to Reading forming both the 06:45 & 06:52. Bit disappointing the 18:08 arrival from Newcastle cant then continue on southwards or do something more useful than running ECS to Eastleigh.
I was equally puzzled by this, because on the face of it the withdrawal of the Guildford calls doesn't directly provide for anything else to happen.  The morning change doesn't allow for much else, other than perhaps another very early Winchester to Reading off-pattern service - for which there may be very little demand, and of course the train crew other than the driver might be an issue.

Extending the 1808 arrival through to Southampton (or even Eastleigh) via Basingstoke and Winchester would have an obvious benefit in maintaining the 2 hourly pattern of Southampton extensions similar to the rest of the day, but the problem may well be line capacity at that time between Basingstoke and Southampton.   For a couple of timetables before it was diverted to form the early evening Guildford terminating service, it did run to Eastleigh in service, and before that you may recall it ran to Southampton via Andover and Romsey which delayed it so much very few used it - staff used to recommend changing at Basingstoke.    But all in all the current plans suggest a unit spare for about 6 hours - it could even run a Reading to Southampton and back to Reading, then empty to depot and all in the usual timings.

Originally the southbound Guildford extension was much later at night (and presumably had even less passengers), I think the empty unit didn't get back to Eastleigh until after midnight.

Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 12:47:45 »

The Bath starter has only been in the timetable since 2010. Introduced solely as an ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) raid and not to provide improved journey oportunities. I guess the finances of this have been marginal.

It may not have been introduced to provide improved journey opportunities (how cynical of you to suggest that it wasn't introduced to provide an improvement though!  Cheesy ) but it does provide an earlier arrival by nearly half an hour into Bristol, and no less than two hours earlier into Plymouth.   It seems ironic to me that at a time the people of Plymouth are campaigning for earlier arrivals, CrossCountry are proposing to make the first arrival possible there from Bath Spa (big place - 6 million rail journeys a year and in the South West) 2 hours later; I still don't see what my alternative that they say is available in their consultation document actually is (I use this service sometimes). Travel down the night before and stay in a hotel?  Drive?

I guess a salient point is that this isn't a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) route, they tried (for whatever reason) an early morning service, but now want to drop it (for whatever reason).  If there is a demand for an earlier first service between Bath and Bristol then it's really the responsibility of GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide it.  Actually having the service enables there to be clear evidence to demonstrate over the next year whether or not such a service is justified by looking at passenger numbers.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 21:17:46 »

The numbers they have for Paignton services are laughable. The 1007 has routinely been busy/full and standing for as long as I've used it (about a decade) rain or shine, February, August or November

It's the first off-peak fast service to Exeter and Bristol for us - it's virtually impossible for it not to be busy!

88 my left wossname!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 21:28:15 »

The numbers they have for Paignton services are laughable. The 1007 has routinely been busy/full and standing for as long as I've used it (about a decade) rain or shine, February, August or November
How many are travelling beyond Exeter though?  The consultation suggests that anyone travelling from Paignton who still wishes to travel on this train to destinatioins beyond Exeter can use a GWR (Great Western Railway) metro service and change at Exeter.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 21:45:20 »

It dumps half at Exeter, and reloads with similar numbers in my experience.

The Metro is slow, reliable and gets delayed by high speed services getting delayed on the Banks - hence why people jump on one of the very few high speed services available to us without changing. The Paddington services are also stoppers so.... XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) get the lions share of Bristol bound pax.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 22:03:07 »

I travelled on the evening service they are saying has an average of 12 passengers. my coach alone was 80+% seats full. I don't believe the rest was empty.
Its easy to manipulate stats to look how you want them. Do the head counts on a Tuesday and Wednesday in winter and its probably empty in the evenings. Do them on a Friday In summer and its full.
The service I used saw no ticket check, I was travelling on a return portion so would have gone unacknowledged with no ticket purchased just before travel, as I imagine most passengers are on an evening.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 06:16:05 »

Operationally, occasional daytime off-cycle services are a darned nuisance.  Extending a train from Plymouth to Newquay or Penzance, or from Exeter to Paignton, Reading to Guildford or Bristol to Bath or Cardiff means that during the day there's no train left at Plymouth / Exeter / Reading / Bristol to form a clock-face return working, then a bit later when the extension has been run and returned there are two.   

At the tail end (or head) of the day, it may be a bit different and there could be useful depot facilities at the end of the line (Penzance) ... with continuity of journey late in the day attracting passengers, the train filling in gaps in a fading evening local service.  First think in the morning, when there's no incoming train to worry about, a though train to distant places will attract long distance peak fares, and be operationally convenient.

Finally, if you have a capacity issue in your "core" territory, cutting out the daytime occasional extensions releases the train(s) involved for use through the core at times the capacity is needed / included in statistics, so you can announce a further timetable enhancement story of more seats through XXX without the need for and more physical seats on your stock.

This may read a bit anti-XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), but should they be providing the gap-fillers with these occasional trains, or should such be run locally?  As they're mostly non-peak service concerned, this is perhaps a question for the writers of the SLCs (Service Level Commitment) at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

Note - to take into account too, the huge loss of traffic between "X" and "Z" if people have to change at "Y" on the way - I have seen 40% to 46% quoted.   And it follows that where the same stock is routinely used from X to Y and from Y to Z, consideration should be given to running through services, even where it means different TOCs (Train Operating Company) working together.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 12:20:57 »

Finally, if you have a capacity issue in your "core" territory, cutting out the daytime occasional extensions releases the train(s) involved for use through the core at times the capacity is needed / included in statistics, so you can announce a further timetable enhancement story of more seats through XXX without the need for and more physical seats on your stock.

I've said as much in the past regarding the GWR (Great Western Railway) Brighton services.    One of the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) consultation points a few years ago suggested that using a longer DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) (3 vice 2 car) would help with peak capacity into and out of Brighton, so I wrote to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and suggested that using a 4 or 8 car Southern EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) all the way to and from Southampton would be even more use...

Regarding the evening Guildford extension that currently runs to Eastleigh depot fairly early, and looks as if it might run to a depot (assumed to still be Eastleigh) a bit earlier next December, at least there is still a northbound train from Reading in the normal pattern half an hour later which would be the last northbound from Southampton (to York) through Reading at about 1840.   So that unit going off to Guildford doesn't actually cause a gap in the northbound service.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: