16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
11:52 London Paddington to Hereford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 12:50:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[129] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[52] Signage - not making it easy ...
[11] IETs at Melksham
[10] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Park Price Rises Dec16  (Read 7244 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: November 11, 2016, 15:47:26 »

From an email from Mark Hopwood

Since 2011 we have been working with our partner APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) to maintain the good condition of our car parks without increasing charges. This means we have been able to hold prices for five years. This is no longer feasible and there will be changes from 11 December, when the winter timetable comes into effect.  The average daily increase is 0.19p.

Details for each station are on the parking information page of our website  https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/travel-connections/car-parking and will shortly be displayed on signage in our car parks and we will be issuing a media release. We have also written to annual season ticket holders, offering them the opportunity to renew their season parking permit at the current rates regardless of the season tickets expiry date.   

Making these changes will mean we can support a series of car park investments such as upgrading our pay and display machines and our payment card systems, additional automatic number plate recognition and a car park extension programme which will add an extra 2,100 spaces to car parks across our network. 

It is never easy to ask customers to pay more, however, it is important that we maintain and improve our car parks and I thought it important that you should know about the increases and the reasoning behind the changes.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 16:08:32 »

I like the average increase quote when my local station is increasing by nearly 10% and will be the third most expensive on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network Angry Sad
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 17:23:09 »

0.19p per day works out at around a penny for the week, so perfectly reasonable if correct. Sadly I suspect it's not correct.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 17:24:23 »

My local station car park has been free  for around 3 months! Photo taken every time I park and no penalty charges. Received

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 17:25:13 »

0.19p per day works out at around a penny for the week, so perfectly reasonable if correct. Sadly I suspect it's not correct.

I suspect is meant to be £0.19

John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 17:27:24 »

Indeed I suspect you are right...
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:29:49 »

The point I was making in my post above is that 'average' price rises are always misleading and are are just used to try to 'dumb down' the bad news element of such announcements Roll Eyes Tongue
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 10:13:21 »

The point I was making in my post above is that 'average' price rises are always misleading and are are just used to try to 'dumb down' the bad news element of such announcements Roll Eyes Tongue

Looks like Swindon have stayed the same.  One issue about parking charges though is that if the council or other providers in the area put their charges up then station parking sometimes has to rise or it ceases to provide parking for rail travellers.  That is unless they use the system they have at Parkway or Oxford (reminder to GWR (Great Western Railway) about need for this in Swindon).

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 11:07:14 »

Looks like Swindon have stayed the same. 

If you follow the link in the first post, Swindon has gone down. It suggests the 'by phone' tariff (i.e. APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) Connect) for Swindon West Main (2165) is £7.70. It's currently £7.90.

Am I missing something?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 11:23:21 »

I'm amazed the prices have been held for five years.  I thought parking charges was one area all the TOCs (Train Operating Company) were keen to rip off passengers the most as they're unregulated.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 23:58:41 »

Merry Christmas to you too Mr Hopwood.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:50 »

Looks like Swindon have stayed the same. 

If you follow the link in the first post, Swindon has gone down. It suggests the 'by phone' tariff (i.e. APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) Connect) for Swindon West Main (2165) is £7.70. It's currently £7.90.

Am I missing something?

I don't know i only use the West Car Park as a) it is cheaper; b) the main car park is usually full most of the times I get there; and c) its easier to use the one that is the default on my phone!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 08:56:07 »

I'm amazed the prices have been held for five years.  I thought parking charges was one area all the TOCs (Train Operating Company) were keen to rip off passengers the most as they're unregulated.
They rose quite quickly in the first few years of APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area). Some of the car parks had some security investment in them but by no means all.

By comparison parking at Didcot in 1993 was £1.10 per day weekdays and de facto free at the weekend as no one was employed to collect at the entrance.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 09:23:10 »

OK - I've solved the mystery and uncovered something slightly sneaky:

The prices shown at https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/travel-connections/car-parking are the current rates, not the new ones.

The reason I thought there was a discrepancy on the APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) Connect price is because they charge 10p per SMS they send to you (you can opt out of the service but it automatically opts you in when you join) and I don't recall it being blindinly obvious that the service is chargeable. So the daily 'Connect' rate at 2165 (Swindon Main) is £7.70 plus two lots of 10p = £7.90.

Caveat emptor. But if it caught me out, I bet there are others who are unaware of that little add-on.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 09:24:59 »

OK - I've solved the mystery and uncovered something slightly sneaky:

The prices shown at https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/travel-connections/car-parking are the current rates, not the new ones.

The reason I thought there was a discrepancy on the APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) Connect price is because they charge 10p per SMS they send to you (you can opt out of the service but it automatically opts you in when you join) and I don't recall it being blindinly obvious that the service is chargeable. So the daily 'Connect' rate at 2165 (Swindon Main) is £7.70 plus two lots of 10p = £7.90.

Caveat emptor. But if it caught me out, I bet there are others who are unaware of that little add-on.

And from memory you can only opt out on your online account. No option to do so on the telephone system.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: