I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:08:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Heathrow Express in-flight advertising  (Read 14369 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 08:09:35 »

They don't need to take off again.

Most of the "heavy" jets arriving at Kemble do meet their end there, but some also come for storage and do make it out again.

No problem to get a light 747 off that approx. 1,900m runway.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:05 »

The "No stops, no traffic," etc, clearly compare to going by road.

As for trying to buy a ticket, imagine how difficult it would be if you didn't speak – or read – (much) English. Obviously this applies to all transport terminals at all international airports. There might be a case for multilingual ticket machines at Heathrow, Gatwick, etc, as well as (favouring) employing staff with other languages there.

But I misread the thread title and thought this was going to be about advertising on the HEx. I hate those on-board screens and videos!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 10:27:54 »

As for trying to buy a ticket, imagine how difficult it would be if you didn't speak – or read – (much) English.

Yes ... in my "day job" we receive a lot of international guests and from talking with them I'm very much aware of how difficult the transport system can be for them.  There is a strong case at airport stations and perhaps at other popular international-traffic stations (Stratford-upon-Avon, Bicester Village, Bath Spa ...) for additional assistance and / or multilingual signage; at other places the case is less strong, and (reduction ad absurdum) having signage in 10 languages at Dilton Marsh would be counterproductive.   Staff are usually helpful, but sometimes they're hard to find or absent, and on occasions they'll give advise that's plain wrong and moves passengers on to someone else's area.

The impartial retailing rules do not apply to Heathrow Express sales outlets. They only apply to DfT» (Department for Transport - about)/Transport Scotland awarded rail franchises/concessions, and to the lead operator at National Rail stations.

So, for example, GWR (Great Western Railway) at Paddington have to be impartial. HEx don't.

I'm tempted to describe the Heathrow situation, where there is no obligation to provide impartial ticketing at the UK (United Kingdom)'s prime international arrival point, as a scandal. In my view, there should be a prominent outlet offering ticketing to all stations on the Great Britain network for arriving passengers at best price for immediate travel, just as there is at every other staffed station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 11:41:18 »

I'm tempted to describe the Heathrow situation, where there is no obligation to provide impartial ticketing at the UK (United Kingdom)'s prime international arrival point, as a scandal. In my view, there should be a prominent outlet offering ticketing to all stations on the Great Britain network for arriving passengers at best price for immediate travel, just as there is at every other staffed station.

How touchingly naive! Airports have much higher priorities than that - and not just because they are privately owned. There's a lot of regional airports that exists primarily as status symbols.

Of course this public service stuff has a value to them as PR (Public Relations), but all airports are commercial to some extent and want to separate passengers from as much of their money as possible. That only really works well on departure, and for arrivals the traditional thinking was to steer everyone into a taxi. Eventually the airports just couldn't resist getting into that market, which is being squeezed between slower traffic and passengers in a hurry. So they provide trains, but at premium prices.

So a lot of effort goes into helping London taxis. I think it's still true that local taxis have no rank at Heathrow, despite those local destinations (especially going outwards) being ones for which a taxi is ideal. You have to book a car in advance. I thought that was a particular British perversity, until I found almost the same was true at Madrid. Uber may, or may not, provide a better option; I gather there is still a bit of a battle going on with the airport as well as the cabbies.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 12:10:50 »

Of course this public service stuff has a value to them as PR (Public Relations), but all airports are commercial to some extent and want to separate passengers from as much of their money as possible.

How touchingly cynical.

I didn't suggest that the ticketing 'scandal' could easily be sorted ...I'm not that naive  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 13:17:46 »

having signage in 10 languages at Dilton Marsh would be counterproductive.   
I think there's a good case for at least two: Wiltshire and Railwayese!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 23:03:57 »

... having signage in 10 languages at Dilton Marsh would be counterproductive.

... and physically impossible - there's not enough space for it.  Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 23:12:40 »

Of course this public service stuff has a value to them as PR (Public Relations), but all airports are commercial to some extent and want to separate passengers from as much of their money as possible. That only really works well on departure, and for arrivals the traditional thinking was to steer everyone into a taxi. Eventually the airports just couldn't resist getting into that market, which is being squeezed between slower traffic and passengers in a hurry. So they provide trains, but at premium prices.

So a lot of effort goes into helping London taxis. I think it's still true that local taxis have no rank at Heathrow, despite those local destinations (especially going outwards) being ones for which a taxi is ideal. You have to book a car in advance. I thought that was a particular British perversity, until I found almost the same was true at Madrid. Uber may, or may not, provide a better option; I gather there is still a bit of a battle going on with the airport as well as the cabbies.

My understanding is that it's the same at Bristol Airport: there is no public 'taxi rank', but vehicles are provided by a private hire firm.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 12:43:50 »

My understanding is that it's the same at Bristol Airport: there is no public 'taxi rank', but vehicles are provided by a private hire firm.  Tongue

Aberdeen is the same - the airport puts the main rank out to tender and one firm will buy access to the entire rank. Of course, pre-booked cars can collect people from the pick up points, but for 'walk up' fares, you only have the choice of a single company.

Interestingly, Bridgend station is the similar - the drivers/company pay NR» (Network Rail - home page)/ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) (I'm not sure which) for access to the 3 spaces directly outside the station doors, whereas there is a council taxi rank no more than 10m away on a public road where you can get much cheaper taxis...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 11:02:15 »

Bicester Village does have multi-language signage.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: