Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:49:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearly 100 fare dodgers fined just under £60,000 in latest blitz  (Read 3510 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 01, 2016, 00:24:32 »

From the Torquay Herald Express:

Nearly 100 fare dodgers fined just under £60,000 in latest blitz

Fare dodging

Ninety eight fare dodgers have been fined nearly £60,000 in the latest fare dodging blitz.

All of them were convicted in their absence after they failed to appear on either November 21 or 24 at Torquay Magistrates' Court.

They were taken to court by First Great Western (now Great Western Railway) for the fare dodging offences which took place around South Devon and had to pay combined fines of £59,181.08.

The 98 were convicted under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889.

A GWR (Great Western Railway) spokesman said: “Fare evasion costs the rail industry about £240 million a year. To make sure that customers who pay for rail travel are not unfairly subsidising those who choose to avoid paying passengers are required to purchase a ticket prior to boarding a service from station ticket offices or from the available ticket vending machines."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 22:09:50 »

Were these 98 fined because they were fare evaders or because they were fare evaders AND didn't turn up at court? I assume there were many more that were caught and DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) go to court.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 22:53:31 »

Maybe those 98 were all stuck on that Class 180, trying to get from "around South Devon" to Torquay Magistrate's Court ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:12 »

No wonder XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) don't want to go there anymore  Roll Eyes
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 20:59:47 »

It's like shooting a fish in a barrel sometimes.
No matter how many of these articles go to press, there are always more people queuing up for the court.

I don't really get how many people claim they don't know that they must buy a ticket with all the publicity about.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
mfpa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 21:02:07 »

I don't really get how many people claim they don't know that they must buy a ticket with all the publicity about.

Quite simple. The result of the almost-daily experience of seeing people buy tickets from the guard on the train means the "must" gets downgraded in your mind to a "should".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 22:17:25 »

Quite simple. The result of the almost-daily experience of seeing people buy tickets from the guard on the train means the "must" gets downgraded in your mind to a "should".

If it were possible to purchase a full range of tickets at any station in the few minutes before the train arrives, using any payment method, and be sure you're buying the right ticket(s), it would be so much easier for people to understand "must".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:03 »

I find it surprising that 98 people decided not to show (i.e. plead guilty or not guilty by post).  Would 98 people charged with a non-railway offence, facing a similar fine, not show up?  Unlikely.

I also wonder how many of that 98 could have explained any mitigating circumstances, had they turned up in person.  Especially since the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 (as opposed to the byelaws) requires the prosecution to prove intent.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:27 »

Probabky repeat offenders who have been picked up & let off with explanations if the correct procedure before finally being charged. Seems pretty clear of intent once thats happened
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: