Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:46:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1749 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill  (Read 11098 times)
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:20:02 »

A comment from Andrew1939 from West Oxon on another thread ("how has the improved timetable improved Hanborough rail services?") reminded me there was a question I wanted to ask here as I have not been able to get a straight answer from GWR (Great Western Railway).

Is there any reason why the 1749 from Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill does not call at Hanborough? Given Hanborough is now the third busiest intermediate station on the Cotswold Line, it does seem an anomaly in the timetable. Is it simply a hangover from the days when Hanborough was little more than one of the halts or are there timetabling issues that are preventing a stop?

(And totally unrelated, is it just my perception or have the morning peak services along the Cotswold Line been particularly bad this autumn?)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:18:11 »

I think there is a train on the UP that means this 1749 needs to reach the doubled section ASAP?

Yes, the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) is seeking answers to performance issues.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:10:36 »

I think there is a train on the UP that means this 1749 needs to reach the doubled section ASAP?

That was my initial thought but looking at the timetable, it runs after the 1728 Worcester Foregate Street - Paddington has cleared the single track (calls at Hanborough 1844) and the next up train doesn't hit the single section until 1943.

Yes, the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) is seeking answers to performance issues.

The 0710 Moreton-in-Marsh to Paddington has been especially poor, either cancelled or started from Oxford seven times in the last 20 days, resulting in the two coach halts train taking quite a hit (though to be fair to GWR (Great Western Railway) the 0528 Hereford to Paddington is often running so late as to pick up a fair chunk of those waiting for the 0710!)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 16:04:33 »

The 1749's a curious one - it effectively replaced the old 1718 Thames service from Paddington (in the days when today's 1722 was the 1712 GWT, and the 1822 Cathedrals Express was the 1827 GWT). I'd always assumed that Hanborough was left out because Shipton had been added in, but that's pure supposition.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 16:43:10 »

Yes, I think it's historical reasons more than anything.  Certainly no problem with the pathing of it, and let's face it a stop there would be far more beneficial than the Shipton stop.  Perhaps an email to suggest it to the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) or direct to GWR (Great Western Railway)?  Certainly Hanborough's growth shows no sign of slowing from my observations, despite the opening of Oxford Parkway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 16:52:06 »

The CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) want to keep the Shipton stop. And it is that stop that causes conflicts at the Shrub Hill end of the route and access to the up line there if uts late. Hanborough swap would actually extend dwell time by a minute or two longer than Shipton. Also Shipton stops are fewer, and losing one may not get it back on another
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 17:07:02 »

Yes it would be difficult to have both stops at Hanborough and Shipton as it needs to be through Norton Junction before it gets in the 19:44 Great Malvern to Paddington, which it quite regularly delays now.  Mind you that train does have a lot of spare time en-route to Oxford.  As usual, the restrictions from Evesham to Norton Juntion and in the general Worcester area itself are the main stumbling block.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 17:33:42 »

And Worcestershire Parkway will add, not reduce, to potential delays with this train (and others)
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 18:24:19 »

This wasn't something I'd paid much attention to until my partner started commuting to/from Reading. And I do appreciate the issues with the single track at the other end of the line (in particular the knock on effect if the 1322 Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street is running late).

But the reality is Hanborough is now one of the busiest stations on the line (and I'll be interested to see if it overtakes Evesham when the next estimates of station usage figures are released). Accepting the arguments for keeping the Shipton stop, this service does stop at three other stations that are less heavily used than Hanborough...  (and perhaps I should duck at this point!)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 19:02:29 »

I'm not sure that much can be achieved until we know the effexts of W/Parkway on these services. Political pressure to stop every train there is likely, and over & above Hanborough eushes
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 09:58:59 »

...Hanborough is now one of the busiest stations on the line (and I'll be interested to see if it overtakes Evesham when the next estimates of station usage figures are released).

Latest estimates of station usage confirm Hanborough is now the second busiest intermediate station on the Cotswold Line with 271,496 entries and exits.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 10:36:40 »

...Hanborough is now one of the busiest stations on the line (and I'll be interested to see if it overtakes Evesham when the next estimates of station usage figures are released).

Latest estimates of station usage confirm Hanborough is now the second busiest intermediate station on the Cotswold Line with 271,496 entries and exits.

You've got figures to be released today there, Charles_uk.  I've not seen them on the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) site yet - have you a URL?

The figure you've quoted is up from 243,568 - a rise of 11.5%

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:25 »

http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-stats/station-usage-estimates

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:20 »

My ***** browser had cached the old page.   Shift-refresh and I have them, thanks!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 13:31:59 »

Thought I'd just exhume this old thread as I notice from the new January 2018 timetable that this service (now 17:52 from Paddington) will now be stopping at Hanborough.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: