Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:40:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tickets between Bath Spa and "London International CIV"  (Read 6187 times)
mfpa

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2016, 21:46:27 »

I'm going to France at the end ofJune/beginning of July and currently looking into relative prices and journey times (and booking dates for decent prices) for rail and coach.

Looking for current ticket prices between Bath Spa and "London International CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers)" on http://raileasy.co.uk I find:-
RETURN FARE : [EVR] Euro High Saver Return ( £77.20 )
OUTBOUND FARE : [EVS] Euro High Saver Single ( £46.40 )
OUTBOUND FARE : [EOS] Euro Std Single ( £95.50 )
All valid via any permitted route.

On BRFares.com there are additional options, including:-
EURO HIGH SAVER CIV EVR £64.80 , Route: WARMSTER-SALSBRY
EURO APEX CIV EAR £19.20, Route: AP SALISBURY

Both of these say the fare is set by South West Trains but (as far as I can see) BRFares.com doesn't say they are restricted to SWT (South West Trains) services. Could they be used on a GWR (Great Western Railway) service between Bath and Salisbury, changing at Salisbury to continue into London? Or would it have to be SWT all the way?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 00:02:18 »

The first one's (EURO HIGH SAVER CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) EVR £64.80 , Route: WARMSTER-SALSBRY)  restriction is merely the route you must take. That is, using services that call at or pass through Warminster and Salisbury. Any operator's services that do so can be used. GWR (Great Western Railway) from Bath to Salisbury, then SWT (South West Trains) to London Waterloo is absolutely fine.

The second one is routed AP SALISBURY. That is an Advance Purchase fare for which you must use booked trains. It is likely only to be available on the three SWT services a day between Bath and London Waterloo.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 00:15:06 »

Both of these say the fare is set by South West Trains but (as far as I can see) BRFares.com doesn't say they are restricted to SWT (South West Trains) services. Could they be used on a GWR (Great Western Railway) service between Bath and Salisbury, changing at Salisbury to continue into London? Or would it have to be SWT all the way?

"Via Warminster and Salisbury'" tickets to London TERMINALS are valid / accepted on services irrespective of operator, and I know of no reason why that shouldn't be the case for CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) tickets as well.  I have used London Terminal tickets changing from SWT to GWR at Salisbury, no problem except a very long wait at the change.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
mfpa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 00:52:45 »

It is likely only to be available on the three SWT (South West Trains) services a day between Bath and London Waterloo.

That's a shame. It dramatically cuts down the number of trains for which it could be booked, and probably tips the balance to coach.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:37:50 »

Also, you don't say you are travelling onward by Eurostar. I think you need to produce a Eurostar ticket in order to be able to buy a CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) ticket? Just checking this is the case?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:50:28 »

Also, you don't say you are travelling onward by Eurostar. I think you need to produce a Eurostar ticket in order to be able to buy a CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) ticket? Just checking this is the case?

Also applies (still, I think) if you're using "Dutch Flyer" from Liverpool Street - though you won't be doing that if your destination is France!

The second one is routed AP SALISBURY. That is an Advance Purchase fare for which you must use booked trains. It is likely only to be available on the three SWT (South West Trains) services a day between Bath and London Waterloo.

Agreed this is likely.  Not even sure how / where the tickets would be offered for sale?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
mfpa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 15:23:44 »

What I've read says you should have to show a ticket or booking confirmation for Eurostar (or a London to Europe journey by train/ship) to both buy and use a CIV ticket, and that the CIV ticket is only valid on trains within 24 hours of the international journey.

If I manage to book £58 return tickets, the Eurostar to Lille looks like a reasonable option. Coach fares seem to be half to three-quarters that, but the coach takes a lot longer and is less comfortable. If Eurostar tickets are dearer, I'll have to wait and get coach tickets.

For the Bath-London bit if we end up not using Eurostar, there is always Megatrain on the SWT (South West Trains) journeys to Waterloo. Or a National Express coach.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 20:59:21 »

If I manage to book £58 return tickets, the Eurostar to Lille looks like a reasonable option. Coach fares seem to be half to three-quarters that, but the coach takes a lot longer and is less comfortable. If Eurostar tickets are dearer, I'll have to wait and get coach tickets.
I have a French colleague who regularly travels back to Paris.  She tells me that Ouibus (owned by SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways)) is actually a good option if you can pick up a low fare.  They usually take the Euro Tunnel Le Shuttle train, so you can remain on the coach for the entire journey, rather than having to roam around a ferry with the other coach operators.  You also get free wi-fi in both countries and power sockets at every seat.
mfpa

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 12:21:23 »

I have a French colleague who regularly travels back to Paris.  She tells me that Ouibus (owned by SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways)) is actually a good option if you can pick up a low fare. 
I'm glad to hear that. I have been looking at Ouibus and Flixbus; they have similar prices but Ouibus's schedule suits my plans better.

They usually take the Euro Tunnel Le Shuttle train, so you can remain on the coach for the entire journey, rather than having to roam around a ferry with the other coach operators.  You also get free wi-fi in both countries and power sockets at every seat.
And their website even reminds travellers from the UK (United Kingdom) that a plug adaptor will be needed.
mfpa

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 15:34:44 »

In the end we used a National Express coach from Bath to London (£5 each, booked 6 months in advance, booking fee and some other charge were added making the total £14 for both). Ouibus from London to Lille (£17 each, booked as soon as the date became available to book - 12 weeks in advance). Train from Lille to Arras (tickets bought just before getting on the train, about 11 euros each). National Express had changed the coach time from 1815 to 1900, but not bothered to notify us. (All the emails they had sent me were advertising material only. After we got home, I logged in and viewed my online booking: it still says 1815 departure.)

Coming home we got the train from Arras to Lille (8 euros each for the TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse), but they also offered 11.50 euros each if we waited an extra 90 minutes and got a local train). Eurostar to London (£41.50 each, booked 179 days in advance). Tube from St Pancras to Paddington (£2.40 each with an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Card). Train from Paddington to bath (£33.10 Super Off-Peak single).

Bath-London-Lille by coach cost £24 each and took about 12 hours.
Lille-London-Bath by train and tube cost £77 each and took about 51/2 hours (including the Eurostar check-in).

The coach travel was a lot more relaxed, with a much easier transfer in London plus less-intrusive security and passport control procedures.

The Eurostar journey was very comfortable and relaxing  while actually seated on the train but the security procedures beforehand are a faff, and there is a lot of carrying your luggage up and down escalators and along corridors that you don't get with the coach alternative. Also boarding the Eurostar was quite a scrum, totally un-necessary as everybody has allocated seats and the train arrived seven minutes before it was due to depart.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: