I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:08:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Paralympian tells of train toilet 'humiliation' - 8 Dec 2016  (Read 5381 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 04, 2017, 23:20:02 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Paralympian tells of train toilet 'humiliation'

A Paralympian says she ended up wetting herself on a rail journey because the disabled toilet was out of order.

Anne Wafula-Strike, of Harlow, told how the disabled loo on a three-hour CrossCountry service from Nuneaton to Stansted last month was out of action.

She said train staff knew of her plight but by the time they reached a station with a disabled toilet it was too late.

CrossCountry said the train involved was only in use because cow strikes had left two other trains out of action.

The 47-year-old Kenyan-born wheelchair racer is a board member of UK (United Kingdom) Athletics and has an MBE for services to disability sport.

On the day of the incident - 8 December - she was returning home from a "very positive UK Athletics board meeting".

"They put me on the train and there was a wheelchair assistant there with a ramp," said Mrs Wafula-Strike, who said she was not warned in advance the train's disabled toilet was out of order.

"After half an hour I felt I needed to use the rest room and to my amazement the toilet was boarded up with a sign saying it was out of order. I waited for the ticket master to come and she was very sympathetic and said she would get me off at the next stop so I could use the toilet there and then they would put me back on. But at that particular station there was nobody on the platform to help me. The next possible platform was Peterborough. Between me asking for help and getting to Peterborough I just had to do it, I ended up wetting myself. My dignity was taken away, I was humiliated."

Mrs Wafula-Strike is to be offered complimentary travel tickets

Her MP (Member of Parliament), the Conservative Robert Halfon, wrote to CrossCountry saying Mrs Wafula-Strike's experience was a "totally unacceptable set of events for the 21st Century".

In his response, the managing director of CrossCountry Andy Cooper said Mrs Wafula-Strike's train had a door defect which had been due to be fixed. "We would not normally have pressed the train into service but in recent months two of our fleet of Class 170 trains have hit cows which had managed to stray on to the line," Mr Cooper said. "Both trains were so badly damaged that they have required major repairs and been out of service."

He said Mrs Wafula-Strike would be offered complimentary first class travel tickets by way of an apology.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 23:33:15 »

Bearing in mind the operator has apologised and acknowledged they fell short of the service they should have provided, and not wishing to trivialise too much what occurred...

These cow strikes mentioned in the article...

I wasn't aware that bovines had organised themselves. What action had Ermintrude and her cowleagues taken that disrupted trains? What union was this?

CWU» (Communication Workers Union - website). Cowmunication Workers Union?
MU (Multiple Unit). Moosicians Union?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:05 »

There is capability of putting a suitable message about (disabled) toilet availability on the scrolling CIS (Customer Information System). I wonder whether it was there, and/or she missed seeing it.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:45:23 »

I wasn't aware that bovines had organised themselves. What action had Ermintrude and her cowleagues taken that disrupted trains?

Refusing to sound their horns?
or perhaps a dirty protest?
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:53:21 »

There is capability of putting a suitable message about (disabled) toilet availability on the scrolling CIS (Customer Information System). I wonder whether it was there, and/or she missed seeing it.

I have never seen any message about toilet availability on any train screens, whether inside the trains or on platforms.

Access to toilets is actually, IMV, a serious issue for many people (not just the disabled) and is one that TOCs (Train Operating Company) don't appear to take seriously. I have traveled on many GWR (Great Western Railway) services where all the toilets have been out of order, or where due to overcrowding, access to any toilet is impossible for more than a reasonable length of time.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:57:26 »

You need to travel about more then because the scrolling CIS (Customer Information System) definitely can. I've seen XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains listed - which way round, no catering, etc etc
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:06:00 »

You need to travel about more then because the scrolling CIS (Customer Information System) definitely can. I've seen XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains listed - which way round, no catering, etc etc

Most of my traveling is on GWR (Great Western Railway) services from GWR stations. CIS systems within those trains seem to be being introduced in the last few months (previously I hadn't seen any here locally) but haven't yet seen any mention on them of toilet availability. My local station has no screen on any platform, but when I have used those that do (mainly Bath Spa and Temple Meads) I've never seen any mention of toilet availability on the trains. And yes, I have looked!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:07:50 »

Well, they are capable.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:54:55 »

I've seen a scrolling message at Bath about "disabled toilet missing" for an HST (High Speed Train).  It was at least a couple of years ago
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 14:25:23 »

I've seen screen messages about lack of disabled spaces and toilets at GWR (Great Western Railway) stations. These messages are often backed up by the public address system.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 19:51:06 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 18:31:22 »

Yep, me too.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 05:52:31 »

I've seen a scrolling message at Bath about "disabled toilet missing" for an HST (High Speed Train).  It was at least a couple of years ago

I saw this several times when I was travelling daily. 4am starts these days mean the car is needed

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 16:31:09 »

This was taken from the CIS (Customer Information System) at Oxford today and states 'No Std Wheelchair space' on the Hereford  - Paddington train.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 19:31:20 »

One would hope that under those circumstances a wheelchair user would be offered the seat in first if it is available (and accessible given short platforms). 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 22:05:12 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Paralympian Anne Wafula-Strike wins train toilet payout

A Paralympian has been compensated after wetting herself on a train when the disabled toilet was not working.

Anne Wafula-Strike, 48, was on a three-hour CrossCountry train from Nuneaton to Stansted in December with an out-of-order accessible loo.

The wheelchair racer, from Harlow, said train staff knew she needed to use the toilet but when they reached a station it was too late.

CrossCountry has apologised and made a confidential payment.

A CrossCountry spokesman said since what happened on 8 December, a "thorough review" had been undertaken.

He added: "While we have apologised for the events that day, a lot of good has also resulted from this, with the whole rail industry looking at ways to make Britain's railways a more accessible environment, alongside the Department for Transport's ongoing consultation on an Accessibility Action Plan."

The deadline for the Accessibility Action Plan's consultation ends on Wednesday.

Kenya-born Mrs Wafula-Strike, who is a board member of UK (United Kingdom) Athletics and has an MBE for services to disability sport, has said disabled travellers need the "support of the Government to hold transport companies to account".

Mrs Wafula-Strike had been returning from a UK Athletics board meeting when she needed to use the toilet and asked the ticket master if they could let her off at the next stop after seeing the out-of-order sign.

However, Mrs Wafula-Strike said there was nobody to help her at that station and on the way to the following station she "ended up wetting" herself, which was "humiliating".

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: