Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:46:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New GWR Electrostars - so so ....  (Read 10765 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:21 »

But the class 345's are for Crossrail - GWR (Great Western Railway) won't be operating them and they also won't get any further west than Reading, so they are probably perfectly fit for purpose as a high capacity outer-suburban commuter train rather than the 387's which are intended for longer distance services, hence the different interior arrangements.
No toilets, outer-suburban?  Shocked In my opinion, having no toilets (and/or metro-sliding doors, like the class 150 and class 376) instantly classifies a train as strictly inner-suburban. It is the 387s (plug doors, but wide ones away from the vehicle ends, and toilets) that are outer-suburban in my view (not been on one myself though, so the seating might not be up to the standards I would consider suitable for outer-suburban work).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:51 »

The seating is inner suburban too, with lots of standing space. Have a google for pics on the web!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 12:41:38 »

But the class 345's are for Crossrail - GWR (Great Western Railway) won't be operating them and they also won't get any further west than Reading, so they are probably perfectly fit for purpose as a high capacity outer-suburban commuter train rather than the 387's which are intended for longer distance services, hence the different interior arrangements.
No toilets, outer-suburban?  Shocked In my opinion, having no toilets (and/or metro-sliding doors, like the class 150 and class 376) instantly classifies a train as strictly inner-suburban. It is the 387s (plug doors, but wide ones away from the vehicle ends, and toilets) that are outer-suburban in my view (not been on one myself though, so the seating might not be up to the standards I would consider suitable for outer-suburban work).

I was making a comparison to the Metropolitan & District lines S-Stock which have no toilets (and never have had in my memory) and also have a lot of longitudinal seating - they work perfectly fine for journey times which are similar to central London to Reading on Crossrail (45-60 minutes, I suspect journeys longer than this on will be unusual). Crossrail should be viewed as something akin to the Metropolitan and District lines in terms of shifting as many people as possible in a quick & efficient manner - lots of doors and circulation space are required to achieve this. I fully appreciate some users have a greater need for certain facilities but in my view CrossRail is more of a 'metro' type service rather than a traditional heavy rail service, so it seems logical that facilities are similar to other routes such as the Metropolitan line.

The 387's will (maybe one day...!) be used for longer journeys to Oxford and Bedwyn, so I agree those need a few more creature comforts in terms of toilets and space to allow people to work or whatever on their journey.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 13:07:18 »

I would agree that the precedent has been set on the Met tube line, with similar end-to-end journey times (Aldwych-Amersham/Chesham) - and I suspect they were designed prior to being extended all the way to Reading either.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 14:40:48 »

CrossRail is more of a 'metro' type service rather than a traditional heavy rail service
I agree, Crossrail is (or rather will be) a metro-type service, certainly in the tunneled central section. The Crossrail rolling stock has been designed for that and is thus metro-type stock.

However, if I read your earlier post correctly, you were calling the Crossrail stock outer-suburban (not inner-suburban or metro, which is what they are).
But the class 345's [snip] are probably perfectly fit for purpose as a high capacity outer-suburban commuter train

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 15:13:16 »

... on the Met tube line, with similar end-to-end journey times (Aldwych-Amersham/Chesham)

The people headed to Aldwych should be so lucky. Perhaps they could try Aldgate instead  Wink
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 15:15:22 »

CrossRail is more of a 'metro' type service rather than a traditional heavy rail service
I agree, Crossrail is (or rather will be) a metro-type service, certainly in the tunneled central section. The Crossrail rolling stock has been designed for that and is thus metro-type stock.

However, if I read your earlier post correctly, you were calling the Crossrail stock outer-suburban (not inner-suburban or metro, which is what they are).
But the class 345's [snip] are probably perfectly fit for purpose as a high capacity outer-suburban commuter train

My emphasis (although admittedly not clearly indicated in my post!) was on the high capacity bit - outer suburban is what they are in terms of the geographic area served, but high capacity appears to have been the primary design consideration for the rolling stock, one assumes driven primarily by the requirements for the central London section. Agree with ChrisB that they were probably specced up before the Reading extension which must add a further 10-15 mins to the journey time beyond Maidenhead?

I guess this is a new type of rail service for the UK (United Kingdom) - traditionally we've seen inner and outer suburban services all stop at a central(ish) terminus, from where bus and tube take the load, whereas CrossRail obviously goes straight through the middle. Perhaps the best comparison is really with the RER in Paris - an express metro?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 16:36:30 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) now produce a 'Toilet Map' although many of the facilities mentioned there, particularly at main line stations are not under TfL management.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: