Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:36 Liskeard to Looe
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:08 Looe to Liskeard
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:36 Liskeard to Looe
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:39:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathrow to Slough  (Read 5712 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: January 12, 2017, 17:16:42 »

Here's a teaser. 5 adults (1 senior railcard) and one child Off peak from Heathrow to Slough single.

Does Heathrow connect do 4 for 2?  It does seem to do Senior Railcard.

So does one buy a through ticket, or is it cheaper to do Heathrow Hayes,  plus 4 for 2 and 1 Senior plus child from Hayes.

Also off topic how do you find First bus fares the website seems totally  hopeless. And oh yes they still have map of the Series 7 buses dated 2012 when they all changed last year and became just the 7 from Slough to both terminal 5 and Central Bus station
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 17:23:10 »

You generally can't get bus dfares from operators websites - you have to call in or phone
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 17:41:46 »

You generally can't get bus dfares from operators websites - you have to call in or phone

The Bus Services Bill should be requiring operators of scheduled bus services to provide pricing and schedule data to an open access database, so give it a year or three and we may have a "brbusfares" and a "realtimebuses".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 19:37:40 »

According to the National Rail site, Heathrow Connect does not participate in GroupSave.

There is a map on the First site which shows the 7 route although I don't doubt there are obsolete ones as well that they have forgotten about.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 09:14:40 »

The Bus Services Bill should be requiring operators of scheduled bus services to provide pricing and schedule data to an open access database, so give it a year or three and we may have a "brbusfares" and a "realtimebuses".

There may even be a split ticket website if this information is published readily; there are split savings out there. One particular fare I know of can be split in two places for a significant saving.

If you can find out where the fare stages are (timing points are usually a subset of these and are the stops in bold on the timetables on the Traveline wesbites) it's a good start. It may even encourage people to walk a bit further to save money to the flag down the road. I remember when some flags used to have a "fare stage" flash across them.

Occasionally you may see the driver press a button on the ticket machine in motion. This is usually updating the origin fare stage so the next passenger is charged the correct fare (some ticket machines/routes can use GPS now to do that automatically). Destinations are "rounded up" to the next fare stage, origins are "rounded down" until that flag has been reached/passed.

The opaqueness of the fares data should be addressed.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:54 »

According to the National Rail site, Heathrow Connect does not participate in GroupSave.

There is a map on the First site which shows the 7 route although I don't doubt there are obsolete ones as well that they have forgotten about.

Get the bus or an Uber taxi direct to Slough, I'm not sure why you'd want to go via Hayes with a change?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 09:45:04 »

Get the bus or an Uber taxi direct to Slough, I'm not sure why you'd want to go via Hayes with a change?

The bus manages to take almost an hour from what I can see, (but runs every 10 minutes) - quick look at travel line last night; train / bus or train / train combos quicker by around 20 minutes, but Heathrow Connect is only every 30 minutes. Much better (Manjana!) when Elizabeth Line comes to Heathrow - isn't that then 4 per hours out to Ayes and Arlington where you can change for Slough?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:41 »

Occasionally you may see the driver press a button on the ticket machine in motion.

Hmmm ... is this a safety issue?

Split ticket rules, etc, are not the same on buses as they are on trains (National Rail Conditions of Travel don't apply).

In particular I'm aware

* If splitting, you need to get off the bus and back on (always?) ... witness the senior pass card holders who join a bus before 09:30 and buy a single to the first place the bus is scheduled to stop after 09:30.  You then have the pantomime of them all piling off and back on again to the same bus, sometimes at a small (and dangerous for crowds) request stop on a country lane, which the bus blocks while it's paused there.

* Buying a ticket for a longer journey than you're making isn't allowed either.  I'm not sure if it's still the case (as best fares rose last August when competition on the route ended, and again last Monday) but at one time a Bath to Corsham fare was considerably more expensive than a Bath to Chippenham fare, even through the journey passes though Corsham.  Bath to Chippenham, of course, competes with the train.  I got a right telling off when I purchased a Bath to Chippenham ticket and got off in Corsham due to a last minute change in plans - I had intended to travel to Chippenham, and the experience at dressing down by the driver (in front of the other passengers) alerted me to this little gem!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:02:26 »

You certainly aren't allowed to do this on NatEX coaches....they have dearer fares to places like airports & I've tried to exit at one with a ticket further & I got a right dressing down! The driver thought about not letting me off, but finally changed his mind.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 10:05:00 »

https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/Slough%207s.pdf

Here's the timetable: 45/50 minutes on the bus depending on time of day, 35/40 mins if you're landing at T5.

Taxi will take you 12-15 mins, if there are 6 of you this will be by far the fastest & best value, £25-£30 with Uber, pre booked minicab about £35-£40.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:32:34 »

I can tell you from experience of about 3 months ago that children are free on the LHR-Slough bus.  I think two adults + 2 kids came to £5 single on the bus, so I would suggest that your party by bus would be at least £10 (assuming senior is free as well)

We have also done a taxi (for 4 people from the HI Express next to Slough station) to T5 and it came to £17 on the meter (early morning, little traffic)

I'd do taxi if you are short of time or bus if you are happy to string it out.  At least that was our logic. 
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 11:31:16 »

Occasionally you may see the driver press a button on the ticket machine in motion.

Hmmm ... is this a safety issue?

They probably woudn't need to take their eyes off the road, but I could see how it may be a distraction. On a similar note, do some users of hands free mobile phones still have to press buttons to initiate a call? I'd look for a consistent approach here and stop all of that if deemed necessary.

* If splitting, you need to get off the bus and back on (always?) ... witness the senior pass card holders who join a bus before 09:30 and buy a single to the first place the bus is scheduled to stop after 09:30.  You then have the pantomime of them all piling off and back on again to the same bus, sometimes at a small (and dangerous for crowds) request stop on a country lane, which the bus blocks while it's paused there.
There are practical issues, as you have witnessed Smiley. A sensible driver though wouldn't make them pile off especially if it is a safety issue. I've seen drivers take their cards and keep them until an appropraite time, then pass them back without that rigmarole. The lack of awareness (due to lack of transparency of fares data) has probably limited the practical issues of split ticketing for non-ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) holders.

* Buying a ticket for a longer journey than you're making isn't allowed either.  I'm not sure if it's still the case (as best fares rose last August when competition on the route ended, and again last Monday) but at one time a Bath to Corsham fare was considerably more expensive than a Bath to Chippenham fare, even through the journey passes though Corsham.  Bath to Chippenham, of course, competes with the train.  I got a right telling off when I purchased a Bath to Chippenham ticket and got off in Corsham due to a last minute change in plans - I had intended to travel to Chippenham, and the experience at dressing down by the driver (in front of the other passengers) alerted me to this little gem!

Break of journey is generally not allowed (realistically how are you going to enforce this on an outbound/single leg or where the boarding stop is correct for a return leg). I am sure that could have been explained more politely than a dressing down though!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 16:48:24 »

The reason for looking at the train is they are staying at the Holiday Inn Express so short level walk from Station Station whereas from the 7 stop you have to cross the main road and then the railway so a good 10 minutes.

However they will probably pick up a rental car from the airport As they are American and coming in on an overnight flight I've tries to put them off that.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 21:00:48 »

You certainly aren't allowed to do this on NatEX coaches....they have dearer fares to places like airports & I've tried to exit at one with a ticket further & I got a right dressing down! The driver thought about not letting me off, but finally changed his mind.

I've successfully done that a few times. I had to make the outward journey from West Drayton to Victoria by train/tube then NatEx coach to the West or South West. Coming back, get off early at Heathrow. Saves a lot of money and I was never challenged.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 14:21:35 »

The reason for looking at the train is they are staying at the Holiday Inn Express so short level walk from Station Station whereas from the 7 stop you have to cross the main road and then the railway so a good 10 minutes.

However they will probably pick up a rental car from the airport As they are American and coming in on an overnight flight I've tries to put them off that.

The bus route may have changed.  But the last time I caught the bus from T5 to Slough (which was the number 81), it pulled into the bus station right next to the station (although other side of the track to the HI Express and I expect you can't use the station bridge without a tciket).

I am sure that you can collect a rental car in Slough after a night at the HI X.  Would save a day's hire fee. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: