Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 10:20:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Unhelpful Announcements  (Read 13033 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 18:39:28 »

Philwakely. When an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is majorly delayed through cornwall they terminate that train at Plymouth, but restart it with a a voyager that was due to form a later service to get it on time. The service delayed from cornwall then forms a later Plymouth departure.
I was on a 120 late pnz to glc sometime last year which was canned at Plymouth. The train then went on as a Plymouth to Manchester service. The Manchester train has formed a Plymouth to Glasgow in the Penzance trains on time slot
Yes, I was aware of that arrangement. What I was pointing out though was the lack of joined up thinking in the automated announcement reporting both the cancellation and the replacement as though they are completely separate services
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 20:31:06 »

Recently I found myself making a connection at Reading station, a station which I am not at all familiar with having previously only passed through it on a train. A few moments before my train arrived, the familiar announcement sounded signifying that I needed to be at the front of the train for the quiet coach; it was only then that I realised that being unfamiliar with the geography of the station, I had no idea which direction the train would be coming from and therefore where the front or rear of the train would be.

At Guildford there are signs on the opposite platforms roof that say "Portsmouth End" and "London End" with arrows pointing in those directions. Do any other stations do that?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 20:39:44 »

Recently I found myself making a connection at Reading station, a station which I am not at all familiar with having previously only passed through it on a train. A few moments before my train arrived, the familiar announcement sounded signifying that I needed to be at the front of the train for the quiet coach; it was only then that I realised that being unfamiliar with the geography of the station, I had no idea which direction the train would be coming from and therefore where the front or rear of the train would be.

At Guildford there are signs on the opposite platforms roof that say "Portsmouth End" and "London End" with arrows pointing in those directions. Do any other stations do that?

Similar signs exist at Perranwell. A request stop on the Falmouth branchline.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 21:32:16 »

I think that happened in quite a few places, where someone painted it there - often a long time ago, and mostly long gone. The current standard signage doesn't include anything of the kind, so, as it's not in the catalogue no-one can order it.   
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 13:09:23 »

Similar signs exist at Perranwell. A request stop on the Falmouth branchline.

That Sign has now gone.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 18:15:03 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 15:39:13 »

Possibly not this topic but on the News  Quiz Radio 4 one of the panellists read out a clipping of on train announcement   the jist of which was:.

" For those passengers wishing to alight at Slough we've just passed Slough!!

Not sure when it was don't recall anything about it locally.

Move to Lighter Side if more appropriate.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 20:31:16 »

To me the worst is no, wrong or misleading information, although I think that airports are far worse than railway
stations.

Returning from Oxford last Monday, I went for the 1431 but it was (and continued to be) indicated as "delayed". An up turbo rolled in, so I asked the three staff on the barrier was this the 31. Don't know was the reply so I tried the information desk, similar reply followed by well meant but long 'phone call to find out. Finally (at 1434) we guessed that it was, the 37 stopper being indicated as next,  the anonymous turbo having departed, although still "delayed"!. It seems that there is a duty announcer at Oxford, either under Trappist vows or as in the dark as we were. The embarrassed staff were of course exemplary in apologising etc.

I wonder whether GWR (Great Western Railway) is really up to handling electric trains.

OTC
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 21:07:29 »

Why did nobody (including the station staff) ask the train staff?  They at least should know!
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 22:28:38 »

Probably because of the barrier.

Common sense should have told me to wait on the platform and ask the guard, as you say. The concourse is more inviting though.

OTC
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 10:58:13 »

If it was a turbo would there have been  been a Guard?

Later edit.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 16:24:02 by eightf48544 » Logged
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 17:55:42 »

On a related issue, my local First bus in Bath takes a circular route, leaving the Bus Station to go up the hill to Southdown and then return back down to the Bus Station. The screens at the bus stops now say Bus Station as the destination for those buses going uphill (presumably because that is the ultimate destination), which will confuse anyone who doesn't regularly use the service.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 20:17:05 »

If you see something unusual on our trains or stations today, please contact a member of staff or a British Transport Police Officer.

Me: Officer, the 0803 this morning left at 0803.  If that's not unusual, I don't know what is.

My solicitor suggests that pleading guilty to "Wasting Police Time" is the most appropriate course of action.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 20:25:54 »

Mischievous!   Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 12:11:13 »

On many platforms, you should be able to tell where the front of the train will be because there will be a stop-marker board (either an S or something like 2-car stop, 3-car stop etc.); unless the platform is used bi-directionally that should help.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 09:34:54 »

I noticed the other day  it looks like a load of additional screens are being installed on the transfer deck at Reading.

Not additional - the existing screens, and the information kiosk below them, have been repositioned. That brings them closer to the direction you face having come up from the main entrance, but that's not the reason. They had to move to make way for - more retail! Another unit (no sign of what) is being built in that corner.

On a slightly related subject, work on the Three Guineas has now moved to downstairs and the bar itself. The heavier work before Christmas was on the structure and the lantern, no doubt to help the poor old thing get over having the rest of the station demolished and rebuilt around it.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: