20:30 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
15:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
18:29 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
19:47 Bristol Temple Meads to Frome
Delayed
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:10 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 19:04:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[125] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[119] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[67] Where have I been?
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Death of another bus station?
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unhelpful Announcements  (Read 13046 times)
Grant

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 15:49:59 »

Interesting responses - I am glad that I am not the only one who has been left confused by the announcements!

Funnily enough, a few days after posting this thread I boarded the 1307 Edinburgh to Plymouth Cross County train at Birmingham New Street and fell victim to another variation of automated announcement. For those who don't know (I didn't!) this particular train goes as far as Gloucester as two four-car units, where it splits into two separate units with only one of those units continuing onto Plymouth. The New Street automated announcement stated that passengers wishing to travel beyond Gloucester should be in the rear four coaches, which was of no use to me as a newbie to the station. Alas, I waited at the wrong end and enjoyed a coach almost to myself to Gloucester where I had to transfer onto the other, rear, set.

It was then that a 'helpful' conductor announced over the tannoy that only the front four carriages were continuing onto stations towards Plymouth. Fantastic I thought - the automated announcement must have been wrong and I won't have to give up my seat. Wrong. Luckily a different conductor walked through the carriage, and informed me that the train reverses upon leaving Gloucester, so the 'front' is now at the other end. I made it onto the other set in time (and got a seat) thanks to the other conductor, but was left surprised that the original conductor would make such a confusing tannoy, assuming it to be common knowledge that the train reversed at Gloucester.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 16:09:55 »

I had my first trip on one of the new cl.387's yesterday evening from Hayes into Paddington (and very impressed I was). At the first stop (Southall) the announcement states "due to short platforms, the doors in the coach 8 will not open here" followed by "this is coach x of 8". Presumably each coach tells you what it's number in the consist is, but I couldn't be bothered moving to the next carriage to confirm!

This type of announcement would go a long way to solving the type of confusion you have experience at stations like New Street & Gloucester (and I think seems like good practice even without an en route reversal), where only those really in the know would have any clue what the front and rear of the train actually is.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 21:44:59 »

I had my first trip on one of the new cl.387's yesterday evening from Hayes into Paddington (and very impressed I was). At the first stop (Southall) the announcement states "due to short platforms, the doors in the coach 8 will not open here" followed by "this is coach x of 8". Presumably each coach tells you what it's number in the consist is, but I couldn't be bothered moving to the next carriage to confirm!

This also happens on many SWT (South West Trains) and Southern trains. Very handy when trains split en route or at short platforms.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 00:46:59 »

This also happens on many SWT (South West Trains) and Southern trains. Very handy when trains split en route or at short platforms.

That's interesting, the GWR (Great Western Railway) 387 was the first train I had heard such an announcement on. A pretty good idea which is genuinely helpful to passengers - a rare occurrence on the railways!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 13:37:13 »

Interesting responses - I am glad that I am not the only one who has been left confused by the announcements!

Funnily enough, a few days after posting this thread I boarded the 1307 Edinburgh to Plymouth Cross County train at Birmingham New Street and fell victim to another variation of automated announcement. For those who don't know (I didn't!) this particular train goes as far as Gloucester as two four-car units, where it splits into two separate units with only one of those units continuing onto Plymouth. The New Street automated announcement stated that passengers wishing to travel beyond Gloucester should be in the rear four coaches, which was of no use to me as a newbie to the station. Alas, I waited at the wrong end and enjoyed a coach almost to myself to Gloucester where I had to transfer onto the other, rear, set.

It was then that a 'helpful' conductor announced over the tannoy that only the front four carriages were continuing onto stations towards Plymouth. Fantastic I thought - the automated announcement must have been wrong and I won't have to give up my seat. Wrong. Luckily a different conductor walked through the carriage, and informed me that the train reverses upon leaving Gloucester, so the 'front' is now at the other end. I made it onto the other set in time (and got a seat) thanks to the other conductor, but was left surprised that the original conductor would make such a confusing tannoy, assuming it to be common knowledge that the train reversed at Gloucester.
Thank you for posting that, it is nice to see some evidence to back up my semi-frequent assertion that guards provide a very useful customer service role, checking the destination on your ticket and advising that you are in the wrong part of the train being a good example. Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard. It would be even better if the railways would only detach units in service if they have UEGs (Unit End Gangway) (Unit End Gangways), such as 158s and 377s. Then the guard could simply direct passengers to walk through to the correct part of the train before it reaches the split point, with no risk of the passengers being left on the platform while trying to change units. In fact, as I've often posted, I think scheduling units that don't have UEGs (and/or a helpful guard) to split-on route should be prohibited in franchise agreements.

That's interesting, the GWR (Great Western Railway) 387 was the first train I had heard such an announcement on. A pretty good idea which is genuinely helpful to passengers - a rare occurrence on the railways!
I can't recall hearing those announcements on SWT, but I think I remember it on Southern's class 377s (which makes sense, I suppose, with 377s and 387s both being Electrostars it seems logical that both would have a similar passenger information system).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 15:08:05 »

I can't recall hearing those announcements on SWT (South West Trains), but I think I remember it on Southern's class 377s (which makes sense, I suppose, with 377s and 387s both being Electrostars it seems logical that both would have a similar passenger information system).
Since SWT rolled out their Auto SDO (Selective Door Opening) the Desiro internal displays show 'this is coach x of X', as a sort of default message when nothing else is showing; but they don't seem to do a regular audio version throughout the train.  But there are announcements along the lines of "passengers for the next station need to move forward" etc, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they only play in the necessary coaches.

The Southern style Electrostar announcements have been fine tuned since new, at one time they constantly told you which coach you were in, even on single units that weren't using SDO anywhere, or after they had split; I think that was tweaked out of the repertoire a couple of years ago, so it only plays if actually needed.

Paul
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 21:14:37 »

LOROL (London Overground Railway Operations Ltd) 378s also do the same, especially on the East London Line.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: