I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:08:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: XC make changing Advance tickets FREE  (Read 4542 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:04 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are the first and only UK (United Kingdom) train company to remove the £10 fee for changing the date and time of your Advance ticket. So not only can you get great value Advance tickets for any train operator via our website, but you have a little extra flexibility if your plans change.

No more fees - Buy a new Advance ticket, and we’ll refund your original for FREE
Enjoy flexibility - Update the date, time & ticket type (as long as the stations are the same)
Peace of mind - Amend your ticket from 2 hours after purchase, until 24 hours before your journey

Planning on buying a ticket? Make sure it's eligible.

To make sure your ticket is eligible for free amendments, follow these 3 simple steps:
1.Sign in to your CrossCountry account - if you don't have one, register here
2.Buy an Advance ticket through our mobile or desktop website only – sorry, tickets bought at the station or via our app aren’t eligible.*
3.Choose ‘Post’ or ‘Self Service’ as your delivery method

Already bought a ticket? Check if it's eligible.

If you've already bought a ticket from us and have had a change of plan, check to see if you can amend it by going through the below steps:
1.For your Advance ticket to be eligible for an amendment, you will need to make sure that you were signed in to your CrossCountry account at the time of buying the ticket
2.Your booking was made on our mobile or desktop website - sorry, tickets bought at the station or via our app aren’t eligible*
3.Your chosen ticket delivery method was either 'Post’ or ‘Self Service’

If your new ticket is more expensive than your original, you will be charged the difference. If your new ticket is cheaper than your original, we will refund you the difference. Please see our terms and conditions for details

How to amend your Advance ticket.

Please follow the steps below to refund your ticket.
1.Sign in to your CrossCountry account
2.Select "my account"
3.Click “view your bookings” – located in the 'my bookings' section.
4.Select “amend journey” next to the ticket(s) you would like to change
5.Select the ticket(s) you would like to amend and continue.
6.Input the amended 'date and/or time' you would like to change your ticket to.
(Also, let us know If you have [collected] your old tickets, as we will need these back to process a refund.)
7.Select the new journey you would like to book
8.Confirm your seat preferences
9.Confirm your delivery method
(Note: if you select options other than Post or Self-Service you will not be able to change the ticket again) .
10.Continue to pay and confirm your new journey

Have more questions? Take a look at our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)'s page for more information

*Print your own tickets and m-tickets (via our Train tickets app) cannot be changed. Tickets collected from the station, a ticket machine, or sent by post can be changed with no administration fee. Sign into your account and select 'View my Bookings' and follow the steps to amend your journey. You can change your ticket two hours after purchasing and up to 24 hours before you are due to travel.

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-admin-fee
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:55 »

I've not used cross country's website, but can you buy tickets for travel on other TOC (Train Operating Company)'s and would they also be covered by the free amendments?

It's about time these charges were dropped universally, certainly for online changes - there is likely to be no human intervention so I cannot see that a £10 fee accurately represents the actual cost to the business involved with changing a ticket or seat reservation.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:36:29 »

Thanks for the info ChrisB. Whilst this is a welcome change, AIUI (as I understand it) how it works is you buy a new one and get a refund on the old one; which is subtly different to:

If your new ticket is more expensive than your original, you will be charged the difference. If your new ticket is cheaper than your original, we will refund you the difference. Please see our terms and conditions for details

For clarity I would have worded it: "You will be charged immediately for the new ticket and we will refund your old ticket later". At no point is a sum for "the difference" charged or credited to your bank account. The difference will only be realised when all transactions are reconciled to your bank account.

On a positive note, it does also raise the possibility of extending the validity indefinitely and/or getting some money back if you do not intend to travel and you paid more than the lowest advance tier (simply amend to the cheapest random journey at some point in the future).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:57 »

Just had an email from Cross Country on this.

Does say you have had to book direct from them.

"Change of plans? Change your ticket…

You can now change your Advance ticket for FREE. We're the first and only UK (United Kingdom) train company to remove the £10 fee for changing the time and date of any Advance ticket, when you book direct with us. That means you'll get great value Advance tickets with extra flexibility."

From find out more it's definitely only applies to Advanced tickets bought  from the website.

Planning on buying a ticket? Make sure it's eligible.

"To make sure your ticket is eligible for free amendments, follow these 3 simple steps:

Sign in to your CrossCountry account - if you don't have one, register here
    Buy an Advance ticket through our mobile or desktop website only – sorry, tickets bought at the station or via our app aren’t eligible.*
    Choose ‘Post’ or ‘Self Service’ as your delivery method"

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:28 »

Personally, I'll never ever buy a Print-at-home ticket ever again, and this is yet another reason....

They are completely unchangeable, unrefundable, etc etc. - been caught a couple of times where the reason for travelling has changed date, or been cancelled. Always at least TOD, then they're changeable for another date at least (was with a fee, now free)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:27:53 »

So why exclude print at home tickets then - can't they invalidate them?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:35:28 »

Not once they're printed.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 12:38:18 »

Or presumably as soon as they are e-mailed out.

Aren't they still the only way you can get an Advance from XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) without paying an additional fee?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 13:35:17 by didcotdean » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 12:50:48 »

Sometimes, if not always?....but I think its worth the extra quid to be able to obtain the change option.

They don't run stations and therefore own no TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) and those that do make a charge for their use to TOCs (Train Operating Company) to allow their tickets to be collected. Those TOCs with TVMs offset theircown charges against those they pay. XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) can't do that, so a small charge I understand
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 13:35:02 »

I think they only charge if the whole journey is with them - ie when they can't issue a print-at-home ticket.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 16:04:08 »

Eh? The only times I've been offered Print-at-Home (PaH) tickets on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) the whole journey has been on XC.

They have to offer a free way of obtaining your hard-copy ticket - so either PaH with a charge for TOD, or free TOD if PaH not available
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 15:49:34 »

Just noticed this on their FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page:
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/faqs/change-my-journeyticket

When I change the date and time of an Advance ticket, which tickets can I choose?

As long as you keep the same origin and destination stations, you can alter the date or time of an Advance purchase ticket by changing it to a new ticket of the same or greater value.

What happened to refunding the difference (for cheaper tickets) mentioned on the main page:
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-admin-fee
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 16:08:33 »

If you click on that second link, the first bullet point explains that you actually buy your replacement ticket through them, and they refund the first ticket with no fees. Thereby changing your ticket for 'free', but you gave to sub the cost of the second ticket until their refund comes through.

Refunding/charging differences between costs would in accounting, be quite difficult
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 16:53:08 »

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) contradicts the main page though? Shouldn't it just read "new ticket". If the new ticket is the same or greater value no refund will be due.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 16:58:18 »

i.e. you wont ever have the situation described on the main page where:

If your new ticket is cheaper than your original, we will refund you the difference. Please see our terms and conditions for details
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: