Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:19:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton to Paddington - Saturday, 18th March 2017  (Read 22191 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 17:56:45 »

I think GWR (Great Western Railway) needs to be congratulated as it appears that the 'other Green set' was pulled off its scheduled diagram and allocated to the return leg of The Royal Oke.

Well done to all concerned!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 18:08:11 »

I think GWR (Great Western Railway) needs to be congratulated as it appears that the 'other Green set' was pulled off its scheduled diagram and allocated to the return leg of The Royal Oke.

Carefully, now, up to Okehampton  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 19:00:36 »

A tad unfair methinks as neither was at fault for the wheel flat

If it was a WSP fault then that's down to GWR (Great Western Railway), no?

Whatever the cause of the problems my comment about not showing the organisers in a good light is reflected by press and media coverage. Most headlines are rather negative.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 20:28:37 »

The wheel flat occurred in the rear powercar leaving Okehampton. Why they're reporting dawlish is anyone's bet.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 20:38:06 »

Why would a flat caused by the state of Network Rail's rails be the fault of the train operator?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 20:40:28 »

A tad unfair methinks as neither was at fault for the wheel flat

If it was a WSP fault then that's down to GWR (Great Western Railway), no?

This sort of event (special trains, open days etc) is much less common than in the pre-privatised era, and I am glad that GWR make the effort to do them.  Social media comment that talks about "fault" when things don't run smoothly is hardly likely to encourage their management to continue with such events, which must create a lot of additional work for no reward.  So the adhesion was poor on the privately owned section of line this morning. Was that GWR's fault?  Maybe they should have undergone numerous additional checks prior to agreeing to run the service, and imposed conditions on the owner of the line as to the level of adhesion on the day, else there would be financial penalties, in which case I suspect the service would never have run.  Maybe that is a better outcome?

In this instance it looks as though control were pretty sharp at stopping the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) Laira to Paignton at Newton Abbot, diverting it to run it to Exeter instead, and full credit to them for taking that decision to enable the charter to continue (albeit at the inconvenience of passengers from Paignton who found their train cancelled this morning).
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 20:50:44 »

The rails at Bow (or anywhere between Okehampton and Yeoford) are not the responsibility of NR» (Network Rail - home page). Wink
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 21:05:49 »

It would appear that Devonlive.com doesn't employ people who can report coherently or with any regard for the facts. Whoever this Neil Shaw is he shouldn't have been let out with out a subeditor or 6 in tow. But I suppose we shouldnt expect anything too much from them as they set low standards and dont achive them Fact 1 Okehampton is Inland, Dawlish is on the Coast... there is no direct rail link Fact 2 the Train wasn't scrapped, it had a set swap, the leasing company wouldnt be pleased if a gas axe was taken to their asset for a wheel flat issue Fact 3 The train was taken to Exeter where the set off the Paignton-Paddington service was substituted and the train left Exeter 53 late with an expectation of making up 13 minutes over the journey to London Fact 4 The wheels werent worn away that suggests they disintegrated the train was running OK when I saw it pass Cowley in Exeter Slapdash and incoherent reporting is an affront to the journalists of the past...;.

image: http://i.thelocalpeople.co.uk/profile_images/small/05.jpg

Profile image for BayOracle
BayOracle  |  March 18 2017, 10:21AM
The train slipped down the rails as it left Dawlish. That doesn't make sense. Listen to the video commentary and it is clear that the train slipped down the rails as it left Okehampton -- which is what you would expect. This is only a very short article, surely somebody could have checked it for sense before it was posted?

Read more at http://www.devonlive.com/first-train-to-london-in-50-years-scrapped-after-engine-slips-down-bank/story-30212627-detail/story.html#hjWF6Z2hFzHb6UmU.99

Rubbish reporting for what seems to have been a great event, indeed why are we even looking at the negatives?
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 21:14:31 »

I just want to add that the Crosscountry Voyagers that entered service in 2001 can't make it through Dawlish if its a bit windy

I'm really annoyed over the negative coverage of great initiative, it really does add fuel to the conspiracy fire when it comes to Network Rail and the Okehampton route
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 21:20:08 »

My information about a Wheel Slip Protection fault comes from industry sources. However, GWR (Great Western Railway) are publicly saying it was poor railhead conditions.

Poor railhead conditions are what the WSP system is meant to ameliorate.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 21:58:10 »

My information about a Wheel Slip Protection fault comes from industry sources. However, GWR (Great Western Railway) are publicly saying it was poor railhead conditions.

Poor railhead conditions are what the WSP system is meant to ameliorate.

The rear powercar suffered wheel flats due to poor rail conditions. It returned to Exeter at low speed, losing nearly an hour between okehampton and Exeter.

I wonder if the line still had remains of washing up liquid style substance that's used on it for skid practice, as of course it's a stretch of line GWR use for skid practice. Combined with leaf residue from the fact the line is considerably over grown, it's going to have poor adhesion.

The return working was 4 late arriving at okehampton, and I bet the driver was more cautious with braking!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 07:20:11 »

I'm not sure that the hundreds of passengers whose service was cancelled as a result of their allocated train being "pulled off" would necessarily concur?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 07:57:22 »

I'm not sure that the hundreds of passengers whose service was cancelled as a result of their allocated train being "pulled off" would necessarily concur?

I suspect the train that the other green set was due to run wasn't cancelled, but rather replaced by a blue train; Real Time Trains is showing a full set of actual departure times for yesterday.  And I can't imagine too many "normal" passengers would have even know about the change.

I would agree that the morning passengers due to use the commandeered 1A15 set (09:18 Paignton to Paddington via Bristol might have been none to chuffed at it's none running between Paignton and Bristol, where it started with (I presume) a set that was Saturday spare at St Phillip's Marsh.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 08:06:22 »

Indeed the second green set (LA16) was pulled off a lunchtime arrival from the West Country and sent to Old Oak Common before returning for the early evening departure back to Okehampton.

Another set was brought from OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) to take up the next working the West Country train would have done.  There was no cancellation.

Agreed the morning alterations would have inconvenienced some however.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 08:20:59 »

Indeed the second green set (LA16) was pulled off a lunchtime arrival from the West Country and sent to Old Oak Common before returning for the early evening departure back to Okehampton.

Another set was brought from OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) to take up the next working the West Country train would have done.  There was no cancellation.

Agreed the morning alterations would have inconvenienced some however.

OK fair enough......the service from Paignton  wasn't cancelled, it was just "non running" and subject to "alterations".....I'm sure that distinction was of great comfort to those left on the platforms!  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: