27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 07:05:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 85859 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: January 21, 2017, 16:25:05 »

About five years ago the government provided £94M to fund the first phase of MetroWest, that essentially involved new line to Portishead, two new stations, four tracking to Filton and more frequent trains.

However, over recent months it appears that the essential Bristol East Jn work has disappeared from schedules, Portishead line is being reviewed due to cost and the cascade of rail stock to the west country will be reduced.

Is Metrowest dead, delayed or am I being too pessimistic?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:27 »

I have an answer from official sources for you, simonw  ...

The latest report on MetroWest to the West of England's Joint Transport Board on 13 January 2017 flags up significant cost increases are expected for Phase 1 (re-opening the line to Portishead with new stations at Pill and Portishead and half hourly services on the Severn Beach Line and local stations to Bath Spa).  The report can be found at: 

http://www.westofenglandlep.co.uk/meetings/joint-transport-board

Current cost of Phase 1 is £58m.  Revised costs from Network Rail are expected at the end of January 2017 and will be reported to the Joint Transport Board on 17 March 2017.  Regrettably timescales have changed with Phase 1 now planned to open in December 2020 (formerly May 2019).

Good news is the four tracking of Filton Bank is happening and is due to be completed by December 2018 at a reported cost of £91m.  Four tracking is essential to provide the additional capacity needed to run the new MetroWest Phase 1 and 2 services. 

Similarly remodelling Bristol East Junction is required for both MetroWest Phase 1 and 2.  The news there is positive with Network Rail re-allocating £15m from the electrification budget to developing design work in Control Period 5 (2014 to 2019).  Full funding, however, is yet to be confirmed although Network Rail appears confident Bristol East Junction will be complete by December 2019.

MetroWest assumes the cascade of Class 165/6 "Thames Turbos" from the Thames Valley area as lines there are electrified.  Delays to electrification delay the cascade and the full rolling stock picture is still unclear.  The first units of the cascade have, however, started with two trains due to go into service on the Severn Beach Line on 3 July 2017.  A further 8 units will be in service by December 2017. 

So whilst there are major concerns about costs MetroWest is far from dead and work on both MetroWest Phase 1 and 2 continues.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 15:24:42 »

Thanks for that.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:44:24 »

If you've got a few minutes, it's worth having a trawl through the papers and reading the nitty gritty. Seems like GWR (Great Western Railway) have plans to run a smartcard pilot on the Severn Beach line, and there are also proposals to extend services from Yate up into Gloucestershire with station reopenings.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:03 »

Yep, I have heard that, but no extra trains can run until Filton four tracking has been has been completed (Dec 2018), and Bristol East Jn (Dec 2019), although longer trains may be possible soon.

An extra train will run, I believe later this year from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to London via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), so that is one extra connection to add the current (00, 30, 41, 45 minutes past the hour) time intervals.

Finally, smart ticketing would be fantastic if it linked local trains and buses, with reasonable daily|weekly|monthly caps on cost. Just having separate bus and rail smart cards costing about £20pw each is not a great idea.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:27:09 »

... although longer trains may be possible soon.

I've heard comment on 5 car trains on "The Beach" ... but also that platform edging at Severn Beach itself has been taken away at the outer end of the platform (recently?) so that 3 cars is now the maximum that can run there.    Tempted to post this in "rumour mill" as I have no confirmation of either story, but perhaps some member(s) in the know can quickly say what's happening.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 18:24:14 »

Three car max at Severn Beach has already been metioned in another thread?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 19:27:25 »

Three car max at Severn Beach has already been metioned in another thread?

Prossibly.

I've just had a look at the databases ... and the current size of the "messages" table (uncompressed) is 165 Mbytes.   War and Peace has 587,287 words (I have not checked in person!) which is perhaps 3 or 4 Mbytes.   And it gets increasingly difficult not to repeat things (or indeed find things that you suspect may have been talked about in the past.    Actually it's quite remarkable how some of the moderator team find such repetitititions and join things up, and manage to do so in the most part in a positive way even as far as the poster of the duplication is concerned.

In new news .... another thread ....

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 21:38:41 »

Just to add to this, of course the first elections for West of England Mayor are coming up in May, so at some point soon purdah will kick in and no-one will want to talk publicly about Metrowest until they are over and the views of the new administration are known.

Of course it will quite possibly be significant that North Somerset chose not to join in, and that unless they are prepared to chip in some more dosh, then it's possible that Portishead won't happen (at least not in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019)/6) and any money in the pot will end up being spent within the other three authorities instead. Suggestions have been made that the focus could change to upgrading the Severn Beach line and reopening the Henbury line instead. 

It's also worth considering that Ladbrooke's odds have the Lib Deb candidate as evens, Conservatives at 11/10 and Labour at 7/1. The Lib-Dem candidate is strong and an ex-Bristol West MP (Member of Parliament). The Conservative candidate is a South Gloucestershire Councillor. I'm not sure that either offer much encouragement for getting much done in the way of railways, particularly where it requires the cooperation of Bristol's Mayor. But we live in hope.   
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 22:37:59 »

Suggestions have been made that the focus could change to upgrading the Severn Beach line and reopening the Henbury line instead. 

That would serve IRNS (Independent Republic of North Somerset) right!  Tongue Wink Grin

An area whose politicians seem to want to ignore the fact they are right next to a big city.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 09:27:01 »

I don't think it's fair to call them an "Independent Republic". I think they're more closely modelled on Liechtenstein...  Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 22:50:14 »

I don't think it's fair to call them an "Independent Republic". I think they're more closely modelled on Liechtenstein...  Wink

You mean they're rich and leech off all the count(r)ies around them without contributing back?    Cheesy
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 06:14:12 »

Perhaps NS needs to invoke Article 48 of the Weimar Republic 1918-33 in order to get the damn thing built. Given the current leadership, I don't think it could punch its way out of  a wet paper bag.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 11:04:40 »

Suggestions have been made that the focus could change to upgrading the Severn Beach line and reopening the Henbury line instead. 

That would serve IRNS (Independent Republic of North Somerset) right!  Tongue Wink Grin

An area whose politicians seem to want to ignore the fact they are right next to a big city.

Not sure what you mean? Severn Beach and Henbury lines are mostly Bristol with a teeny bit of South Gloucestershire. My point is that with south Bristol resignalling being deferred and North Somerset not joining in on the regional deal, it's easy to see how the focus could move north of Temple Meads, leaving North Somerset sidelined and Portishead on ice. 

As for North Somerset - the irony is of course that by not joining in, the population balance is roughly 50/50 between Bristol and SG/BANES, whereas if North Somerset joined in, the balance would be far more in their favour. Perhaps they are holding out to join Devon and Cornwall in some kind of West of England superstate?

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 12:04:42 »

Not sure what you mean? Severn Beach and Henbury lines are mostly Bristol with a teeny bit of South Gloucestershire. My point is that with south Bristol resignalling being deferred and North Somerset not joining in on the regional deal, it's easy to see how the focus could move north of Temple Meads, leaving North Somerset sidelined and Portishead on ice. 
The way I understood it, that was BNM's point: that N. Somerset want access for their residents to the big bad city but don't want to join in with the administration of the region, and as a result[?] they don't get that access.

As for North Somerset - the irony is of course that by not joining in, the population balance is roughly 50/50 between Bristol and SG/BANES, whereas if North Somerset joined in, the balance would be far more in their favour. Perhaps they are holding out to join Devon and Cornwall in some kind of West of England superstate?
I wrote to MEPs (Member of European Parliament) the other day (nothing to do with railways, transport or regional government) and as a result discovered that "the South West of England" includes... Gibraltar! I look forward to a different sort of Avon-Rock Railway!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 13:18:47 by Bmblbzzz » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: