05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:52:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 85608 times)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2019, 16:03:51 »

Hmm... quite a few of the stations on Lee's list don't meet my definition of a 'Parkway'; I've obviously fallen into the trap of trying to prescribe (rather than describe) a usage..!

Still think Portway Parkway is a silly name though.

Isn't "Parkway" the modern word for "Road" on the end of a station name?  Means "as near as we'll get you" in many cases.

Beaulieu Road, Builth Road, Llanbister Road, Stapelton Road.  Confused by a duplicate use where the "Road" is the road name in the town, such as Gainsborough Lea Road, Blackhorse Road, Angel Road, etc.

Castle Cary -> Shepton Mallet Road ... no - I had better not suggest that.

But, really, what else would you call the new park and ride station on the parkway?  It's all very well us being critical but ... what alternative?  Looking at a map - but just a quick look - no new name shouts out.   Sponsored name? Public competition - "Station McStation Face"?  Some sort of commemorative name?  Perhaps we have too many "Brunel"s ... but we could do worse; name it after anyone more recent and I suspect you'll have arguments.  "Beeching's End" to celebrate railways making a comeback?
The first of the Parkways was the Bristol one. During the planning stages it was known as 'Bristol North'; the Western Region management ran a public competition to find a name and the result was, drum roll, 'Bristol Parkway'. The winner was quoted as saying that he got the name from the nearby and newly completed Parkway motorway.

But in this case I would suggest that 'Portway Station' would tick all the boxes - it's really no different to thousands of other stations across the country.

(PS, there was apparently a proposal to name a new stretch of road in, or near, East Grinstead 'Beeching Cut'...)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2019, 16:35:32 »

I think the Parkway name has been devalued over the years. Originally X Parkway meant a station that is close to X but not in it, easy to get to (well Bristol Parkway was in 1972) and which you can get to and from X quickly, and which has been provided with a nice big car park.  So you don't have to drive into the congested centre of X to catch the train.

But now we have stations like Didcot and Port Talbot which have just had a bigger car park built and Parkway tacked on to the name. But then, lots of stations have had car park extensions in recent years.   
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2019, 17:01:06 »

Didcot is somewhat of an unusual case in that when the car park was laid out on the former Provender Stores site there was still nothing much north of the railway, and it was possible to drive all but the last 100 metres or so to the car park along national speed limit roads at least from the A34. So in some ways it fitted the 'out of town and easy to get to by car' concept without much of a stretch. The development to the north though was already underway, and with more recent ones out to the west it is now more of a town centre station than it ever was, and the road from the A34 is jammed in both directions peak time.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2019, 17:29:25 »

I think the Parkway name has been devalued over the years. Originally X Parkway meant a station that is close to X but not in it, ...   

A bit like the original GWR (Great Western Railway) use of the handle "Road". Wallingford Road station was some three miles from its erstwhile destination.

Any idea what 'X' Road Station was furthest from its 'X'? Genuine question - I have no idea.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2019, 17:51:53 »

Any idea what 'X' Road Station was furthest from its 'X'? Genuine question - I have no idea.

No - but some examples
Builth to Builth Road - about 2 miles
Clarbeston to Clarbeston Road - about 2 miles (*)
Beaulieu to Beaulieu Road - about 3.5 miles
Llanbister to Llanbister Road - about 5 miles (*)
But I'm doubtful about those marked (*) as to whether the road was already "The Clarbeston Road" and "The Llanbister Road" before the railway came.  Llanbister in particular is a small cluster of houses, 5 miles from the "Road" station.

Don't ask about Derby to Derby Road.

Similar question with "Junction".  Shortest - Stourbridge, Longest perhaps Limerick.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2019, 17:57:06 »

Rather agree that Portway Parkway does sound a tad silly, a bit like the line in Airplane: "What's our vector Victor?".

Just plain Portway (P&R (Park and Ride)) might just about do.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2019, 18:02:05 »

I think the Parkway name has been devalued over the years. Originally X Parkway meant a station that is close to X but not in it, ...   

A bit like the original GWR (Great Western Railway) use of the handle "Road". Wallingford Road station was some three miles from its erstwhile destination.

I suspect it's unanswerable. Some Roads don't go to the place (e.g. Derby Road, in Ipswich), and some do but are so long this is obviously not the station that serves the place (e.g. London Road, Guildford or Brighton). So maybe the question to puzzle over is whether any are borderline - does it serve the place or not?

And then there's Spring Road - how close is spring? Well, at this time of year ...
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2019, 18:11:58 »

A visitor new to Bristol, wishing to travel to the St Andrews Park locale would be ill advised to get off the Severn Beach Line at St Andrews Road!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2019, 20:23:52 »

A visitor new to Bristol, wishing to travel to the St Andrews Park locale would be ill advised to get off the Severn Beach Line at St Andrews Road!

OK I'll bite.  Why is that then?......
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2019, 21:14:04 »

Cos Montpelier is the station for St. Andrews Park.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2019, 21:17:51 »

St Andrews Road is just past Avonmouth on the way to Severn Beach while the St Andrews area is served by Montpelier Station on the same line but at the opposite end.

Edit: Oops, Martyjon just beat me to it, and rather more succinctly too!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2019, 21:51:37 »

OK.  I get it.  Thanks to both. Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2019, 22:20:10 »

Bristol once had five churches dedicated to St Andrew, and they tend not to have fared well.

• St Andrew in Avonmouth, after which St Andrews Road (SAR) is named, was bombed and rebuilt in 1955.
  • St Andrew, Clifton, was destroyed by bombing in 1940.
  • St Andrew, Hartcliffe escaped the bombs by the cunning expedient of being built after the war, in 1956.
  • St Andrew, Montpelier (for yes! the Parish of St Andrew and the district of Montpelier are one and the same - officially) fell into disuse and was demolished in 1969.
  • Last but not least, St-Andrew-the-Less in Hotwells was rather badly singed in the blitz, was repaired, but was finally demolished to be replaced by some frankly rather uninspiring grey concrete flats in the 1960s.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2019, 15:19:45 »

On the matter of the new station, if "Parkway" is the brand name (and we could say it is) then what is wrong with Avonmouth Parkway?

On the matter of "Roads" it wasn't only the GWR - take Berkeley Road as an example

On the matter of distance, that might depend how far back in history you go. When first opened, Micheldever was called Andover Road because the direct Basingstoke to Salisbury line had yet to be built. The was 7.5 miles from the town whose name it bore
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2019, 17:06:13 »

Portway Parkway is silly, inaccurate and will inevitably get called Porkway Partway. But Portway Park and Ride will inevitably get called Partway Pork and Ride; which is worse, if you think about it...  Shocked

Avonmouth Portway or Avonmouth Park and Ride might be okay but I think johnyw's suggestion of plain Portway is sensible and accurate.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: