Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:03:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 84609 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 06:26:57 »

WHY ;-

£500,000 for pedestrian and cycling routes through the centre of Weston-super-Mare

when North Somerset opted out of the Metro Mayor set-up Huh?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2017, 07:14:29 »

WHY ;-

£500,000 for pedestrian and cycling routes through the centre of Weston-super-Mare

I'm sure there's a good reason ... but I don't fully (!) understand how the "West of England" and MetroWest areas interact.  Isn't Portishead in North Somerset too?    Perhaps North Somerset is buying in to bits it wants like the UK (United Kingdom) might buy in to bits of Brexit?   Of course, it would be logical for the main area to accept that buy-in only if it results in mutual advantage.

The question raises an interesting one for wider areas too.  The Bristol / Bath travel-to-work area goes beyond the "West of England" - into Mendip at Frome, into Wiltshire at Trowbridge and indeed at towns like Corsham which have a vey heavy flow into Bath.  Transport is needed for those flows and public transport (from Corsham at least, which is the closest to me) is pathetically slow, taking 45 minutes from the centre of Corsham at Newlands Road to Bath bus station, where a train would take 12 minutes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 09:20:52 »

NorSomxit? !!!

But as with all these things, announcement today, GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) tomorrow, delay next week, I'll believe it when it's actually open. 

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 09:56:52 »

WHY ;-

I'm sure there's a good reason ... but I don't fully (!) understand how the "West of England" and MetroWest areas interact.  Isn't Portishead in North Somerset too?    Perhaps North Somerset is buying in to bits it wants like the UK (United Kingdom) might buy in to bits of Brexit?   Of course, it would be logical for the main area to accept that buy-in only if it results in mutual advantage.

The question raises an interesting one for wider areas too.  The Bristol / Bath travel-to-work area goes beyond the "West of England" - into Mendip at Frome, into Wiltshire at Trowbridge and indeed at towns like Corsham which have a vey heavy flow into Bath.  Transport is needed for those flows and public transport (from Corsham at least, which is the closest to me) is pathetically slow, taking 45 minutes from the centre of Corsham at Newlands Road to Bath bus station, where a train would take 12 minutes.

Those allocations of money were decided by the West of England Joint Committee, which combines the four local authorities in the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) (the three in the West of England Combined Authority plus North Somerset). The transport proposals presumably came via the LEP, so in effect this is the governmental bit of the LEP anyway.

The WoECA describe what they do thus:
The West of England Combined Authority (WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)) is made up of three of the local authorities in the region – Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire. Working with our partners including the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership, North Somerset Council and other local service providers, our aim is to deliver economic growth for the region and address some of the challenges, such as productivity and skills, housing and transport.
WECA will also provide support to the West of England LEP Board and to the Joint West of England Committee, which includes North Somerset Council.

Presumably North Somerset's status as "partner" means as much or as little as they and the MMayor want it to.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2017, 22:47:32 »

All rather seems to have muddied the waters?

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2017, 22:55:00 »

Some rather grand and very long term future plans in today's Evening Post:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ambitious-89billion-transport-plan-bristol-222075

I just hope that not too much money was spent putting this together given it's more of an arguably fanciful wishlist. Not sure that any plan projected that far forward ever ends up even vaguely similar to the original.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 09:37:13 »

Some rather grand and very long term future plans in today's Evening Post:

In the 40+ years that I have lived in the Greater Bristol area I have yet to see any successful plan to cut road congestion come to fruition.  This fanciful paper is as likely to see any fulfilment as previous schemes to provide light rail or other non-road based projects. I hope I haven't unwittingly contributed to its production through by local taxes. My skepticism is based entirely on experience not prejudice.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 20:26:17 »

Underground trains all the way out to the airport? Ha ha ha!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 21:40:18 »

This daft underground scheme to Bristol airport would cost just about as much as Crossrail to build!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 22:19:13 »

I don't think they're seriously suggesting sub-surface all the way to the airport. But then, I don't think they're seriously suggesting much of it...

Just imagine what would be possible, though, if your town had a pro-rated equivalent of London's transport budget...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 15:16:28 »

I don't think they're seriously suggesting sub-surface all the way to the airport. But then, I don't think they're seriously suggesting much of it...

Just imagine what would be possible, though, if your town had a pro-rated equivalent of London's transport budget...

It will finish up as another MetroBust route.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2017, 13:30:41 »

A little boost for Metrowest just announced:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/five-new-stations-funded.html

Hopefully this can get started soon.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2017, 14:23:22 »

A little boost for Metrowest just announced:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/five-new-stations-funded.html

Hopefully this can get started soon.

Ooh, look! Reading Green Park funded to go ahead again!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 21:27:46 by stuving » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2017, 14:48:07 »

If it's worth announcing once, it's worth announcing half-a-dozen times!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2017, 21:16:07 »

Comment on article in the Bristol Post

£2.2 million for a platform? Don't be silly. I know everything is expensive nowadays but come on. A few blocks, a bit of concrete and a gang of workmen doesn't equate to that ridiculous amount. As someone mentioned previously when this article came up. It would of made more sense to build the park and ride next to the existing station at Shirehampton.

There is indeed something to be said for building facilities near the stations rather than stations near facilities.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: