Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:37:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 84593 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2017, 21:34:50 »

Agree, but we are where we are (or more accurately, the P&R (Park and Ride) is where it is), so that option went many years ago.

It will be interesting to see how well it is used, in comparison with the bus service. I'd have thought the bus would be more attractive in terms of City Centre/Harbourside bound passengers, particularly given the frequency of service, with the rail service more attractive for the Temple Quay office area. With only (hopefully by then) a train every half an hour, if congestion means you just miss one service, that's a relatively long wait. 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2017, 22:08:42 »

Is it more expensive and difficult to build a platform and gubbins or to build a new car park with a bus shelter? I don't know, but perhaps the road access to the P&R (Park and Ride) is the swaying factor.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2017, 22:20:16 »

Whatever happened to the much cheaper prefabricated type of platform that was being mooted a few years back? I recall it was portrayed as a game changer in terms of affordability for Portway Station.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2017, 22:21:28 »

I don't remember what debate took place when the decision was made to build the Park and Ride on derelict industrial land in the shadow of a motorway flyover instead of on local beauty spot The Daisy Field, which is the only obvious site adjoining Shirehampton Station but, on balance and in my humble opinion, I think they got it about right. And while it does mean we'll have three stations within 2.5 km of each other, I'm not going to volunteer that either Shirehampton or Avonmouth should be closed - on the grounds that some bright spark might point out that Montpelier, my local station, is even closer to Redland.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2017, 06:37:45 »

I don't remember what debate took place when the decision was made to build the Park and Ride on derelict industrial land in the shadow of a motorway flyover instead of on local beauty spot The Daisy Field, which is the only obvious site adjoining Shirehampton Station but, on balance and in my humble opinion, I think they got it about right. And while it does mean we'll have three stations within 2.5 km of each other, I'm not going to volunteer that either Shirehampton or Avonmouth should be closed - on the grounds that some bright spark might point out that Montpelier, my local station, is even closer to Redland.

There gets to be a point where it's "enough consulting - let's get on and DO it" and I'm pretty sure we're at that point on Portway Parkway (it's been talked about for so long!).  I posted the press comment as it seemed a good reminder question for those of us who don't live nearby; expected outcome being re-assurance rather than any "hey, that's a good idea".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2017, 08:12:02 »

There comes a point when you say 'enough consultation= lets get on and DO IT .....

I feel the same about the Portishead line !
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2017, 09:52:45 »

Perhaps now with the upcoming abolishment of diesel road vehicles, METROWEST should be considered for conversion to electric buses that are recharged on the move.  I have an idea.  Lets call them Trolleybuses.... Roll Eyes Wink
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2017, 10:25:00 »

Its only diesel and petrol cars that will be banned! Not buses. They say that electric cars will be cheaper to run, but I suspect that they will still be more expensive to buy and (unless battery life is extended) maintain.  The cynic in me wonders whether they hope poorer people may be priced out of owning cars while the rich get more road space as a result.   
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2017, 11:34:42 »

Its only diesel and petrol cars that will be banned! Not buses. They say that electric cars will be cheaper to run, but I suspect that they will still be more expensive to buy and (unless battery life is extended) maintain.  The cynic in me wonders whether they hope poorer people may be priced out of owning cars while the rich get more road space as a result.   

Hang on - doesn't this belong to the topic 'Great Western Main Line Electrification...'?  Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2017, 13:04:27 »

Looks like things are moving on the Stapleton Viaduct.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOSBR/status/891253222970707968/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=FOSBR&utm_content=891253222970707968
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 14:31:51 »

That's known as Clarkson Syndrome.
And as for battery operated cars !
We will end up paying more for the vehicles and then have a leasing arrangement to cover the use of batteries.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 14:48:49 by Western Pathfinder » Logged
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2017, 14:43:17 »

There is a little irony in the government admitting that petrol|diesel cars are bad for the environment, and at the same timing ordering more diesel train options and cancelling electrification projects.

The new WoE Mayor better get start planning and campaigning for full electrification of MetroWest over the next few years as it is deployed.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2017, 19:54:51 »

Whatever happened to the much cheaper prefabricated type of platform that was being mooted a few years back? I recall it was portrayed as a game changer in terms of affordability for Portway Station.

Indeed. I recall Councillor Tim Kent announcing that it would cost £400,000, and open in 2013.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2017, 20:41:45 »

Indeed. I recall Councillor Tim Kent announcing that it would cost £400,000, and open in 2013.

Either this is the cheaper, sorry, more cost effective option being wastefully overlooked or else the original estimates themselves overlooked associated costs (signalling, for example).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2017, 21:23:40 »

Either this is the cheaper, sorry, more cost effective option being wastefully overlooked or else the original estimates themselves overlooked associated costs (signalling, for example).

I'm not sure which. Signalling shouldn't be an issue as it's single line at that point. The platform was supposed to be a modular thing, slotted together on site. Maybe the extra four years of delay has had an inflationary effect. My own feeling is it's more to try to generate business for a Park and Ride that has always been quiet than anything else.

Anyway, the funding has been confirmed, according to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website:

Five new rail stations to 'boost' regional economies
28 July 2017

The Department For Transport will invest more than £16m in the new stations
Five new rail stations should be completed by March 2020 after funding was confirmed, officials have said.
The Department For Transport (DFT (Department for Transport)) said it will invest more than £16m in four stations in England and one in Wales.
The stations will be at Horden in County Durham, Warrington West in Cheshire, Reading Green Park, Portway Parkway in Bristol and Bow Street in Ceredigion.
Durham County Council said the Horden stop would be a big employment boost.
Leader Simon Henig said: "The station will greatly enhance commuters' ability to reach employment sites across the region and will be served by more than 20 trains a day heading north and south.
"It will also act as a park and ride, with spaces for more than 100 commuters."

Rail minister Paul Maynard said the stations would create employment opportunities
The DFT is providing £4.4m towards the £10.55m station with the rest coming from the county council and North East Combined Authority.
The £17.2m Warrington West station, which is getting £4.23 from the DFT, should reduce congestion on the M62 and support new houses in the area, the department said.
Reading Green Park will receive £2.3m towards a total project cost of £16.5m with the DFT saying it "has the potential to unlock 7,500 new jobs and 1,500 homes".
The £2.23m Portway Parkway, which is getting £1.672m from the DFT, will serve an existing park and ride site and aims to reduce congestion on inner Bristol roads.
Rail minister Paul Maynard said: "The stations will improve access to the rail network and create new leisure, training, employment and business opportunities, as well as supporting new housing developments.
"All of the stations will be completed by March 2020."

The £550,000-odd not being met by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will presumably be picked up by Bristol City Council alone - I shall look at the report for the next council meeting. It looks as if the original idea of a simple platform may have been slightly upgraded - Portway Parkway sounds a little grand.

For all the things I have said that may sound a little negative, the idea has merit, especially as so much is happening around Temple Meads. Not only is the commercial centre of Bristol moving that way, the University are about to build a new campus there, and then there's the Arenal if it ever gets off the drawing board. There may also be passengers heading for Clifton Down for the Uni and BBC, and even, for the savvy cricket fan on big match days, Montpelier. I wish it well, but I hope it is future-proof - I can't see that line staying single forever, and at least thought of a footbridge would possibly save a few quid when the day comes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 22:35:17 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: