Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:23:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 84575 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2018, 21:36:50 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol news have added a story from late afternoon today that lighter trains or even trams are to be looked at as a means of making the reopening of the Portishead line more affordable. That's all I could find for now, online BBC local news has nowt and I'm not even going to bother with the online Evening Post as they probably won't find out about this before November.

Let's not be too hard on the Evening Bristol for not knowing about this; Portishead Railway Group don't seem to have heard either. Maybe some journo just overheard some friends and I fantasising after 5 pints in the front bar of the Highbury Vaults...

Judging by the time the BBC started running the article this afternoon it must have been a prolonged lunch in that fine hostelry. 😀
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2018, 21:38:14 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol news have added a story from late afternoon today that lighter trains or even trams are to be looked at as a means of making the reopening of the Portishead line more affordable. That's all I could find for now, online BBC local news has nowt and I'm not even going to bother with the online Evening Post as they probably won't find out about this before November.

There is huge sense in looking at all the options ... and huge sense in not spending so much time you look at all the options that you end up delivering nothing.  I have no sense in knowing where we are at - viewed from afar (Wiltshire) I'm feeling a bit impatient and wish they would just get on with it.

Noting how the Bury line comes into Manchester Victoria then into the City ... could the Portishead tram, running every 10 minutes, come into platform 2 at Temple Meads then turn left and go down the ramp and do a circuit of the City?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2018, 21:54:56 »

I've long believed in just getting from Portishead to Temple Meads to start with before anything else. The notion of extending out of the station however is new one to me. It would be a very tight turn from platform 2 to go down the ramp (and then onwards somewhere). That, if at all possible, would really be a "phase two" proposal. Platform 2 was the old Motorail vehicle entrance though so maybe, just maybe.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2018, 13:41:21 »

There's a bit more on the light rail for Portishead proposal now on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local news website quoting the Metromayor who seems to behind this despite it not really being in his area of jurisdiction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45822170?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2654675-bristol/0&link_location=live-reporting-story
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2018, 14:51:14 »

I've long believed in just getting from Portishead to Temple Meads to start with before anything else. The notion of extending out of the station however is new one to me. It would be a very tight turn from platform 2 to go down the ramp (and then onwards somewhere). That, if at all possible, would really be a "phase two" proposal. Platform 2 was the old Motorail vehicle entrance though so maybe, just maybe.

#MeToo. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility - the undergrowth west of P2 hides some rusty old lines that probably were to do with the former depot and, according to a sign in the brambles, milk terminal. These could make for a gentler turn, although modern light rail can make some very tight turns as my experience in Manchester, Birmingham, lowly Blackpool, and abroad has shown. A loop around the city centre via the Grove, through the bus lanes and Nelson Street to Broadmead and returning maybe via Old Market would also give passengers arriving from anywhere else a far better option for travel in the central area than the current buses. I have also wondered whether a route passing by St Philips Marsh depot to serve the dubious Avonmeads before crossing the main line either via a bit of street running over the bridge or its own skew bridge into somewhere west of P1 could be affordable. The bridge from there into Plot 6 and Friary already exists. That would open up further possibilities to the north, as well as possibly along the old alignment through Brislington. Plus it would be handy for Wetherspoons.

Let's not be too hard on the Evening Bristol for not knowing about this; Portishead Railway Group don't seem to have heard either. Maybe some journo just overheard some friends and I fantasising after 5 pints in the front bar of the Highbury Vaults...

Gosh, I used to spend Friday evenings there, quaffing SA, later Smiles, and making sure the bar stayed up. I even used to pull pints there when it got busy. I haven't been there in a long while, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the same faces.

Now, please!
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2018, 15:42:42 »

One part of that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report confuses me tho...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45822170?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2654675-Bristol/0&link_location=live-reporting-story

"The move could also open up the possibility of running direct trains from Severn Beach to Bath and Westbury"

I understand the proposals for Metrowest was to provide two new Severn Beach services;
One Portishead to Severn Beach
One Severn Beach to Bath

I'm definitely still 100% behind the re-introduction of Portishead line services, but to say that's the only way a new Severn Beach to Bath / Westbury could be introduced makes no sense to me...  or am I missing something in my confused Friday afternoon state of mind?!   Wink

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2018, 16:02:36 »

I wondered about that too. Severn Beach to Bath seems to have been an early suggestion for Metrowest which has more recently been proposed as SB (Signal Box) to Westbury. Portishead to SB  was the other early suggestion an in my opinion too much too soon. Portishead to the railway interchange that is Temple Meads with frequent connections regionally are, IMO (in my opinion), all most people would want, especially if this means more frequent services too and from Port Z.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2018, 23:59:18 »

Isn't it always the same? Big local headlines heralding Portway Parkway going ahead some considerable time back for good PR (Public Relations), now nowt. I guess the engineer's ground surveys must be finished but try to find out where things are now and it's a black hole.
I say this because a successful P&R (Park and Ride) there (which I take as a given) could really convince everyone of the value of Metrowest, hence my perhaps unreasonable impatience but I find the lack of a my more information disappointing.
Has anyone on the forum got an "info fix" for me?

I have been in touch today with Mhairi Threlfall, Bristol City Council Cabinet Member for Transport, and she has provided the following update for the benefit of forum members:

Quote from: Mhairi Threlfall, Bristol City Council Cabinet Member for Transport
- The government funding that we have secured for the project via the New Stations Fund requires that the rail infrastructure must be completed by the end of February 2020.

- The ground surveys demonstrated that the construction of the station is feasible and informed its design.

- Although Network Rail has experienced some minor delays in completing the required surveys and follow up design work, they are confident that this will not impact on the overall completion date.

- The planning application was submitted in July, which is currently being assessed.

- We are currently awaiting the outcome of Network Rail’s ‘GRIP4’ study which has developed the proposal in detail and updated the scheme costs. Once we have received this information and assessed it, we will update the public on the progress and viability of the project. This should be in the next couple of weeks.

Looked back at Lee's very interesting update (above) that he obtained from Mhairi Threlfall last month regarding progress with the Portway P&R Station. The last line of the response indicated that more information would be forthcoming in "the next couple of weeks" so I was wondering if there has been anything recently released .
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2018, 08:45:31 »

I have been in touch today with Mhairi Threlfall, Bristol City Council Cabinet Member for Transport, and she has provided the following update for the benefit of forum members:

Quote from: Mhairi Threlfall, Bristol City Council Cabinet Member for Transport
- The government funding that we have secured for the project via the New Stations Fund requires that the rail infrastructure must be completed by the end of February 2020.

- The ground surveys demonstrated that the construction of the station is feasible and informed its design.

- Although Network Rail has experienced some minor delays in completing the required surveys and follow up design work, they are confident that this will not impact on the overall completion date.

- The planning application was submitted in July, which is currently being assessed.

- We are currently awaiting the outcome of Network Rail’s ‘GRIP4’ study which has developed the proposal in detail and updated the scheme costs. Once we have received this information and assessed it, we will update the public on the progress and viability of the project. This should be in the next couple of weeks.

Looked back at Lee's very interesting update (above) that he obtained from Mhairi Threlfall last month regarding progress with the Portway P&R (Park and Ride) Station. The last line of the response indicated that more information would be forthcoming in "the next couple of weeks" so I was wondering if there has been anything recently released .

Further update received from Bristol City Council for the benefit of forum members:

Quote from: Bristol City Council
The GRIP4 study has been completed and we are currently considering the emerging outputs from this. We hope to be in a position to provide an update on the scheme over the coming weeks. In the meantime, Bristol City Council is currently determining the planning application for the project.

I'd take that as "we thought the next couple of weeks, but turns out we need a bit longer."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2018, 10:18:38 »

Bear in mind that Marvin Rees is taking over Mhairi Threlfall's Transport remit...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2018, 20:20:42 »

Bear in mind that Marvin Rees is taking over Mhairi Threlfall's Transport remit...

Oh bugger, I had forgotten that. He is probably going to build the station miles from the Portway Park and Ride, isn't he? Probably Filton.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2018, 21:11:40 »

Oh bugger, I had forgotten that. He is probably going to build the station miles from the Portway Park and Ride, isn't he? Probably Filton.
But with an underground tunnel connection to somewhere half a mile from the Park and Ride!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2018, 07:15:31 »

But with an underground tunnel connection to somewhere half a mile from the Park and Ride!

At the risk of making fun of the serious issue of the passing over of projects (and indeed the consultation that Mhairi was heading / promoting that closed on Friday), isn't the place a station is most needed at Lulsgate ... slight issue being the lack of a railway line to run trains there.  We do have a precedent in the area:

The new station buildings were completed by 1850, and also included a goods shed, although the railway tracks were not added until later.  Opened 1857.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2018, 07:34:02 »

The new station buildings were completed by 1850, and also included a goods shed, although the railway tracks were not added until later.  Opened 1857.

Do enlighten me,where ?

And how about the station building/booking office built, opened and used but never saw a train serve the station, Dartmouth, don't have to enlighten you in that case.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2018, 13:32:10 »

Oh-oh, he might read this and take notes! 😨
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: