I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:58:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 84589 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2018, 16:04:51 »

The new station buildings were completed by 1850, and also included a goods shed, although the railway tracks were not added until later.  Opened 1857.

Do enlighten me,where ?

Bradford-on-Avon

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2018, 19:28:22 »

The Canadian owners of Bristol airport have been discussing a rail link of sorts. They seem to know what they are doing there, having expanded both business and buildings there substantially since carrying on the grand job done by the late Les Wilson, "Mr Bristol Airport". Those Canadians don't just watch from a distance - I use the airport fairly regularly, and earlier this year witnessed a group of obvious VIPs being shown around airside. From a snatch of overheard conversation, I realised that they were trustees of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund being given a tour of the most recent improvements.

My guess is that if they find that it is feasible, they will build it and operate it a bit like the original Heathrow Express model, maybe up and running before the Portway P&R (Park and Ride) station. Definitely before the Henbury loop.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2018, 21:10:12 »

Ah, yes, suddenly I see how it might work... and of course 'Bounder' Bowles could take all the credit. Win-win!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2018, 18:11:19 »

The Canadian owners of Bristol airport have been discussing a rail link of sorts. They seem to know what they are doing there, having expanded both business and buildings there substantially since carrying on the grand job done by the late Les Wilson, "Mr Bristol Airport". Those Canadians don't just watch from a distance - I use the airport fairly regularly, and earlier this year witnessed a group of obvious VIPs being shown around airside. From a snatch of overheard conversation, I realised that they were trustees of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund being given a tour of the most recent improvements.

My guess is that if they find that it is feasible, they will build it and operate it a bit like the original Heathrow Express model, maybe up and running before the Portway P&R (Park and Ride) station. Definitely before the Henbury loop.

Interesting.

I'd suggest that it would be more like Luton Airport - with a light rail link that cuts Network Rail out of the loop entirely. The question is where you run it from, there are a number of options, including perhaps a new NR» (Network Rail - home page) Station at Long Ashton, but there's no natural choice.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of airport users by origin/destination postcode. Building for the long-term, could it be worthwhile to build it pointing westward, perhaps connecting to NR at Yatton? After all there are something like 2m people living in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2018, 23:19:06 »

Interesting.

I'd suggest that it would be more like Luton Airport - with a light rail link that cuts Network Rail out of the loop entirely. The question is where you run it from, there are a number of options, including perhaps a new NR» (Network Rail - home page) Station at Long Ashton, but there's no natural choice.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of airport users by origin/destination postcode. Building for the long-term, could it be worthwhile to build it pointing westward, perhaps connecting to NR at Yatton? After all there are something like 2m people living in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset.

My own back-of-envelope design would involve connection to the main line somewhere around Parson Street, although there's a couple of big hills to circumnavigate or burrow through. It's a climb of 620 feet to the airport in about 5 miles. The LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) looked at this not long before transport was handed to the Metro Mayor. The three main options were a line from around Long Ashton, a line from Yatton using the trackbed of the Strawberry line, and conversion of MetroBust to light rail, with the line then following the A38. Because of ther height problem, the last option looks like the most flexible. Taylor Wimpey suggested it when proposing the Vale project.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2018, 09:49:50 »

My own back-of-envelope design would involve connection to the main line somewhere around Parson Street, although there's a couple of big hills to circumnavigate or burrow through. It's a climb of 620 feet to the airport in about 5 miles. The LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) looked at this not long before transport was handed to the Metro Mayor. The three main options were a line from around Long Ashton, a line from Yatton using the trackbed of the Strawberry line, and conversion of MetroBust to light rail, with the line then following the A38. Because of ther height problem, the last option looks like the most flexible. Taylor Wimpey suggested it when proposing the Vale project.

All interesting stuff this!

I imagine that the Airport's catchment would be best served by a service starting at Temple Meads: for people living to the south-west of Bristol that would be less convenient than a shuttle from Yatton, but for those living in Gloucester, Newport or Swindon it would surely be preferable.

There's no avoiding the need to get up and through some big hills though, whether it's Redhill, Fox and Goose Hill or Goblin Combe. Overall, following the A38 seems to have a lot going for it. I'm interested to see how they might thread a line through Barrow Tanks.

What's the height problem you refer to?

I don't see how converting MetroBus to light rail helps in this context; as we know it goes nowhere near Temple Meads...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2018, 23:38:26 »

Ha! True! But do I see on the aerial photos you posted elsewhere of the redevelopment of Temple Way some sort of passive provision?

The line of the former route to the docks and beyond is still very evident, even if the bridge isn't. With foresight, clever engineering, and a will to succeed, trams or tram-trains could yet snake across the road and into the station.

So no, then.

Now, please!
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2018, 15:46:24 »

The line of the former route to the docks and beyond is still very evident, even if the bridge isn't. With foresight, clever engineering, and a will to succeed, trams or tram-trains could yet snake across the road and into the station.

So no, then.

Is the old harbour line along Cumberland Rd still there or have they pulled it up now that Ashton Swing Bridge has been 'Metrobussed'?  Obviously it became completely redundant following it's disconnection at Ashton Gate, but haven't driven along there for a while now

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2018, 16:40:13 »

...do I see...some sort of passive provision?

Various plans have for some time earmarked the gap between the George Railway and the Grosvenor Hotel as a rapid transit corridor, but sadly that idea seems to have receded in recent years - possibly because we now have a high quality tram-like experience (I'm surprised if you haven't heard of this) called MetroBus.

Is the old harbour line along Cumberland Rd still there or have they pulled it up now that Ashton Swing Bridge has been 'Metrobussed'?  Obviously it became completely redundant following it's disconnection at Ashton Gate, but haven't driven along there for a while now

T'aint redundant at all - it's still very much connected to the historic dockside railway at M Shed. The rather makeshift platform at the Cumberland Basin end, used on high days and holy days, is currently a kit of parts pushed aside by MetroBus work, but one has to presume that it will be reinstated at some point.

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2018, 16:55:41 »

T'aint redundant at all - it's still very much connected to the historic dockside railway at M Shed. The rather makeshift platform at the Cumberland Basin end, used on high days and holy days, is currently a kit of parts pushed aside by MetroBus work, but one has to presume that it will be reinstated at some point.
Sorry I meant the fact it's now been disconnected from the rest of the network after they ripped it up over the swing bridge.  You reckon there'll be plans to reconnect it somehow?

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2018, 18:23:51 »

Sorry I meant the fact it's now been disconnected from the rest of the network after they ripped it up over the swing bridge.  You reckon there'll be plans to reconnect it somehow?

No; I just meant that it is part of the Bristol Harbour Railway, and as such I wouldn't call it redundant. I note that the BHR currently only runs as far as Vauxhall Footbridge, which is about 500m short of the old terminus at the Create Centre.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2018, 18:29:54 »

So no, then.

The Harbour railway still runs between M Shes and the Great Britain and when the chuffer choo runs they still run from the M Shed along the track adjacent to Cumberland Road which at one time was double track all the way to Ashton Gate Junction where there was a PW (Permanent Way) Depot. Currently Balfour Beatty are effecting repairs to the New Cut retaining wall in the vicinity of the Bristol Harbourmasters offices on Spike Island which exhibited signs that it was collapsing into the cut and thus the Harbour Railway is truncated but as has been stated, it is the intention to rebuild the platform, which is currently a kit of parts, alongside the red brick built former bonded warehouse building, now the home of Bristols Records Office.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2018, 19:37:25 »

I kind of got the impression the Chocolate Path was not going to reopen, probably ever. If true that would imply the Harbour Railway along there also being closed.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2018, 11:10:25 »

I kind of got the impression the Chocolate Path was not going to reopen, probably ever. If true that would imply the Harbour Railway along there also being closed.

All answered here:

Significant repair work for highway structures around Bristol’s waterways approved at Cabinet

The future of a ... popular cycle route and footpath has been secured following last night’s cabinet meeting (4 September).

At the meeting funding was approved to begin ... the structural stabilisation of the river wall which supports the Chocolate Path and historic railway.

The Chocolate Path, which is a popular walking and cycling route, has been partially closed since 2016 as it is currently slowly subsiding into the river. In order to reopen it and make the path safe to use, a budget of £5million worth of capital funding has been allocated to stabilise the wall and stop any further subsidence of the path and historic railway.

Cllr Mhairi Threlfall, Cabinet Member for Transport said: “We need to take action now so that we can protect these important historical landmarks around our city’s famous waterways.  This work is essential for looking after these important structural elements of our highway network, keeping them working and stopping parts completely slipping away in to the river.

“If we do not act now these costs are likely to rise substantially.  We expect that work will start next year and we will keep commuters updated for any road closures that may happen as a result of this work.”

Up to £3million funding was agreed for the refurbishment of the Redcliffe Bridge and up to £5million for the stabilisation of the river retaining wall supporting the Chocolate Footpath and historic railway. The work is due to begin within the next financial year.

Source: Bristol City Council

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2018, 15:20:11 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol news bulletins today have Banes Council and our Marv talking about tram/train or light rail options between Severn Beach and Westbury. Probably a bit more of their occasional headline attention grabbing stuff or equally possibly an excuse for further inaction but worth mentioning I thought.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: