19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 00:53:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 85594 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2018, 19:57:04 »

Correct, but they are talking about a Light Rail vehicle using that route. Can you imagine a Light Rail vehicle alone interspersed with heavy rail traffic on the busy Bristol to Bath main line, I can't.

I'm no electrical expert but I would have thought that to install a transformer to supply the required power to propel a light rail vehicle in that light rail vehicle from 'a future 25Kv OHL (Over-Head Line) supply' would be so heavy as to make it a, err, heavy rail vehicle anyway. I wish people like Marv and Tim would engage their brains before taking the brakes off their mouths.

Unless they have seen the Siemens S70 Avanto in service in Mulhouse. That runs on 25 KV AC on the mainline railway, and 750V DC (Direct Current) in town on the ordinary tram tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZwcsJyZ9Z8
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 20:31:30 by Tony (Formerly FT, N!) » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2018, 15:03:25 »

A element of the Joint Spatial Plan seems to already have some doubts being raised about it's future. BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports that MPs (Member of Parliament) are questioning the safety of "smart motorways" with calls for their abandonment. The JSP includes smart motorways as part of the mix.
Here's the article:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46553654
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2018, 15:20:03 »

A element of the Joint Spatial Plan seems to already have some doubts being raised about it's future. BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports that MPs (Member of Parliament) are questioning the safety of "smart motorways" with calls for their abandonment. The JSP includes smart motorways as part of the mix.
Here's the article:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46553654

Maybe this belongs under WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) Alphabet Soup, which covers JLTP, JSP and related issues?

MetroWest refers to half-hourly heavy rail services, whilst MetroBus covers mostly ordinary buses whose route numbers start with 'm'. I presume that if a rail-based rapid transit scheme ever gets as far as having a name, it will be called MetroMetro (MetroMetro: a tram-like experience using tram-like trams running on tram-track-like tram tracks! Who knows, it could work!)                   

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2018, 15:45:49 »

Yep, mods may wish to move this one.
Only stuck it on this thread as where I found a JSP link on it.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2018, 15:52:05 »

Correct, but they are talking about a Light Rail vehicle using that route. Can you imagine a Light Rail vehicle alone interspersed with heavy rail traffic on the busy Bristol to Bath main line, I can't.

I'm no electrical expert but I would have thought that to install a transformer to supply the required power to propel a light rail vehicle in that light rail vehicle from 'a future 25Kv OHL (Over-Head Line) supply' would be so heavy as to make it a, err, heavy rail vehicle anyway. I wish people like Marv and Tim would engage their brains before taking the brakes off their mouths.

Unless they have seen the Siemens S70 Avanto in service in Mulhouse. That runs on 25 KV AC on the mainline railway, and 750V DC (Direct Current) in town on the ordinary tram tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZwcsJyZ9Z8

That's near enough the current definition of tram-train - being able to run on existing or standard street tram tracks or segregated rail tracks. Of course some people (naming no noms) find this too hard, and run theirs only on railway lines, or on their own tracks at 25kV, or using 750V only to cross proper trams' tracks. Chacun a son tram-train...
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2019, 00:01:46 »

Bristol Live reports on possible progress with Charfield Station along with road based schemes. The surprise for me though was mention of a "road to nowhere" in Yate which I had never heard of. Apparently a dual carriageway built and abandoned in the 1970 which has occasional film location uses but that is about all. Anyway, here's the link:
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/could-two-new-bypasses-railway-2575767
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2019, 04:32:01 »

Bristol Live reports on possible progress with Charfield Station along with road based schemes. The surprise for me though was mention of a "road to nowhere" in Yate which I had never heard of. Apparently a dual carriageway built and abandoned in the 1970 which has occasional film location uses but that is about all. Anyway, here's the link:
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/could-two-new-bypasses-railway-2575767

Here is the "blurb" if you want it as a film set:

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/documents/Road-to-Nowhere-Website-Document.pdf

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2019, 06:18:04 »

I live about 400 metres, as the crow flies, from the Road To Nowhere. As part of the planning permission for the housing development of which my home is part, the developer was required to make a contribution towards a relief road to avoid the A432 through Chipping Sodbury and Yate. The developer constructed the Road To Nowhere from a roundabout to a point where the road would rise to a bridge over the main Bristol to the North rail line and made a cash contribution to the then Gloucestershire County Council towards the cost of the bridge with the developer of the trading estate the other side of the rail line similarly making a contribution. Under the 1974 Local Government Act, Avon came into being to replace Gloucestershire and Northavon was formed by the merger of a number of 2nd tier councils, my local and rating authority being the 2nd tier authority was Sodbury Rural District Council. The above contributions made went to Gloucestershire and the sheer incompetence of Avon and Northavon ensured those monies remained in Gloucestershire's coffers. I probably will be providing food for the worms before regular traffic traverses the Road To Nowhere and judging by the current state of this stretch of 'highway' will require it to be re-constructed before it can be opened as part of the local everyday road network, after all its seen no regular traffic for 45 years so far.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:52 »

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=370050&Y=181583&A=Y&Z=120

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2019, 09:08:38 »

Charfield station's been talked about for at least as long as Portishead, hasn't it?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2019, 09:42:25 »

I probably will be providing food for the worms before regular traffic traverses the Road To Nowhere and judging by the current state of this stretch of 'highway' will require it to be re-constructed before it can be opened as part of the local everyday road network, after all its seen no regular traffic for 45 years so far.

If you visit by Google Earth (51.532443°   -2.434346°) you will see that about a year ago a bit in the middle was done up - presumably for a film - and there were loads of vehicles on site. They even built a fake cutting with concrete walls and some sort of bridge across - for some reason it's not on StreetView!

I'm sure a lot of such roads have been built running towards yet-to-be-built bridges, over the years, and while some of those bridges got built a few didn't. There was one I remember from my youth in Harrow, where Harrow View and Courtenay Avenue both existed with houses built, but the bridge over the LNWR (London North Western Railway) (between Harrow & Wealdstone and Headstone Lane) was only opened just after I left school in 1969.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2019, 10:03:08 »

Charfield station's been talked about for at least as long as Portishead, hasn't it?

It was put to a vote of residents about 20 years ago. They said no, because they didn't want people from Wotton under Edge using it.

Charfield. A local village for local people.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2019, 10:49:19 »

It was put to a vote of residents about 20 years ago. They said no, because they didn't want people from Wotton under Edge using it.

Charfield Station is very much 'there', in black ink, in JLTP3 and JLTP4. Did they put it to another vote, reflecting the fact that some of the older, more xenophobic residents have moved on to a better place?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2019, 11:08:58 »

Charfield Station is very much 'there', in black ink, in JLTP3 and JLTP4. Did they put it to another vote, reflecting the fact that some of the older, more xenophobic residents have moved on to a better place?

I think that this time they are consulting rather than asking people what they want. Having a second vote just because the xenophic element has gone to a better place - hopefully with a lot of foreigners waiting to greet them - could set a dangerous precedent. (I saw what you did there, you mischievous squirrel, you!)

To quote the late Dick Tuck, loser of the contest for a California seat in the US Senate (and the inspiration for a plastic surgery procedure) "The people have spoken, the b*st*rds!"

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2019, 15:18:56 »

Presumably meaning they didn't want Wottonians parking their cars in Charfield streets?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: