I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:33:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 84586 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2019, 15:27:07 »

...Wottonians

...aren't they Wottingers?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2019, 17:43:12 »

...aren't they Wottingers?

Have you been at the organic mushroom wine again, RS?  Grin

That programme remains one of my favourites, despite all my grandchildren being too old to watch it any more. He may be one of the founders of the National Theatre, a great Shakespearean actor, and one of only two British actors to have been knighted by more than one monarchy, but to me Sir Derek's greatest work will always be the Upsy Daisy song. Isn't that a pip!

Getting back to the Ninky Nonk railway, I believe fear of parking chaos was at the root of the refusal. That could be solved by either providing a car park or applying controls similar to those around the station I once knew as Redland Parkway.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2019, 20:18:26 »

Lifted from FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)'s Facebook page:

https://www.northsomersettimes.co.uk/news/portishead-rail-metrowest-project-could-begin-phase-one-soon-1-5911967?fbclid=IwAR1NYkC6Z9oD3uffXuVC_tx-SREuwjPXYKWXSD9MPr9nOkjrwLeWdmsGlfE

North Somerset Times article "Councillors confident trains to Bristol from Portishead will run ‘by 2023’"

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2019, 07:39:04 »

I had a conversation with a senior member of the Portishead Railway Group earlier this week, who assures me the timescale is unduly pessimistic. He thinks it will be up and running by 2022.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2019, 08:22:48 »

Charfield station's been talked about for at least as long as Portishead, hasn't it?

It was put to a vote of residents about 20 years ago. They said no, because they didn't want people from Wotton under Edge using it.

Charfield. A local village for local people.

Hark, I hear the distant twang of banjos! ;-)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2019, 08:42:50 »

Lifted from FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)'s Facebook page:

https://www.northsomersettimes.co.uk/news/portishead-rail-metrowest-project-could-begin-phase-one-soon-1-5911967?fbclid=IwAR1NYkC6Z9oD3uffXuVC_tx-SREuwjPXYKWXSD9MPr9nOkjrwLeWdmsGlfE

North Somerset Times article "Councillors confident trains to Bristol from Portishead will run ‘by 2023’"

More like 2025 at the rate projects progress in this area. More likely we will have a helishuttle service from Portishead helipad to College Green helipad before then cos helicopters CAN fly, unlike pigs (at the mo).
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2019, 11:44:11 »

I had a conversation with a senior member of the Portishead Railway Group earlier this week, who assures me the timescale is unduly pessimistic. He thinks it will be up and running by 2022.

Now that would be news if it's proves to be true. Did he say anymore about why he thought it might be that year?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2019, 13:17:28 »

Just that he thought a lot of slack had been built into the system. Once the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) has been given and the funding sorted out, it's all systems go !
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2019, 13:26:19 »

There is no reason why it shouldn't be done within 3 years, apart from the traditional council buffonery. We are told that GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 4 is due to be completed this month, which is the point where the council(s) can hand over to Network Rail to carry on, maybe obtaining the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) while the desin stage is running. The track bed is there for the last 3 miles from Portbury Junction.The line to Portbury dock was laid in about a year, including building the spur into the harbour. The old track could possibly be used one last time, to deliver materials and equipment for the build. The station building won't be on the scale of Temple Meads, and signalling will probably be minimal.

Maybe, just maybe, it will be done by 2022, and the council's pessimistic date is so they can announce that they have opened it early.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2019, 15:50:17 »

Bristol Live a bit busy this week with Metrowest news. The latest article looks at extending Metrowest to Gloucester and Westbury. Evidently GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail are keen on it and the consequent avoiding of turnbacks will reduce costs. An announcement expected in summer.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/confidence-growing-ambitious-metrowest-railway-2601231?fbclid=IwAR2v9Vizlndxzi7RPVEF3WNUsBErXayQdK0nNKWDSRlpL99AZ2CbI7Ruhcc
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2019, 16:12:25 »

It is rather upbeat.

Confidence growing that ambitious MetroWest railway will expand
Phase one, which is currently under way, will see the reopening of the Portishead line to passenger trains and improving services on the Severn Beach and Bath to Bristol lines.

Confidence is growing among transport chiefs that the MetroWest railway will be expanded all the way to Gloucester and Westbury in Wiltshire.

A report to the West of England Combined Authority (Weca) overview and scrutiny committee revealed train operator Great Western Railway and Network Rail, which manages the lines, are both keen on the plans.

The “phase three” extension to the ambitious project, which aims to improve suburban train services into Bristol, received a boost last year when the Government announced it would back the idea.

The railway line has been plagued by uncertainty (Image: Michael Lloyd)
Phase one, which is currently under way, will see the reopening of the Portishead line to passenger trains and improving services on the Severn Beach and Bath to Bristol lines.

Work is also ongoing for phase two which would reopen the Henbury Line to an hourly spur service, as well as providing increased, half-hourly trains to Yate.

Expanding MetroWest 30 miles beyond Yate to Gloucester in the north, with possible extra stops in between, and 15 miles from Bath to Westbury in the east is now under serious discussion, which is set to conclude by the summer.

Weca director of infrastructure David Carter told combined authority councillors: “In the autumn we asked for MetroWest 1 to be extended to Westbury and MetroWest 2 to be extended to Gloucester.

“That’s up to the Department for Transport to negotiate with the franchisee, which is Great Western Railway, to determine whether they will or won’t accept that.

“So we have to make sure we keep, in both MetroWest 1 and 2, the cost of the turnback at Bath and the cost of the turnback at Yate until such time as the department confirms Gloucester and Westbury are in the franchise, and we won’t know that until June or July.”

The former Henbury railway station
Mr Carter said at the meeting on Wednesday, February 27, that Weca was working with Network Rail on the necessary infrastructure to extend to Westbury.

He said: “All the suggestions are that Great Western Railway and Network Rail would like to extend to Westbury and Gloucester and that the capital cost saving will be a benefit to the scheme.

“To go to Westbury they need to update three level crossings down the Avon Valley.

“We need to make sure they don’t need land or planning permission to do that and that it’s all done by permitted development.

“If they did, we’d have to make the decision that to run the MetroWest service, you may have to have a turnback.

“So until they can tell us categorically in June or July that you don’t need to do that and can go all the way to Westbury then we can’t make that decision, and the same is true of Yate.

READ MORE
Sloping Morrisons car park 'caused rolling trolleys' to smash Mercedes

“Network Rail and Great Western Railway would rather there weren’t turnbacks because it adds to operational resilience issues but technically there’s space within the timetable to have that turnback and operate the service.”

Mr Carter said a funding gap remained for phase one and that negotiations were ongoing with the Government.

Last month, North Somerset Council allocated £15million to the Portishead-line section of the project and approved £11.7million over two years to develop a full business case.

But it still faces a £31million shortfall.

The plans also include building new rail stations at Henbury, North Filton and Ashley Down.

Anyone know why the level crossings would need updating as trains run on that route already?

£31 million shortfall sounds a lot, but MetroBust went around £60 million over budget and scrapped its revenue stream without anyone seeming unduly concerned. Maybe a few quid can be had from Gloucester and Wiltshire towards the cost.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2019, 18:03:22 »

It is rather upbeat.

Confidence growing that ambitious MetroWest railway will expand

Confidence is growing among transport chiefs that the MetroWest railway will be expanded all the way to Gloucester and Westbury in Wiltshire.

[snip]

Weca director of infrastructure David Carter told combined authority councillors: “In the autumn we asked for MetroWest 1 to be extended to Westbury and MetroWest 2 to be extended to Gloucester.

“That’s up to the Department for Transport to negotiate with the franchisee, which is Great Western Railway, to determine whether they will or won’t accept that.

“So we have to make sure we keep, in both MetroWest 1 and 2, the cost of the turnback at Bath and the cost of the turnback at Yate until such time as the department confirms Gloucester and Westbury are in the franchise, and we won’t know that until June or July.”

Mr Carter said at the meeting on Wednesday, February 27, that Weca was working with Network Rail on the necessary infrastructure to extend to Westbury.

He said: “All the suggestions are that Great Western Railway and Network Rail would like to extend to Westbury and Gloucester and that the capital cost saving will be a benefit to the scheme.

“To go to Westbury they need to update three level crossings down the Avon Valley.

“We need to make sure they don’t need land or planning permission to do that and that it’s all done by permitted development.

“If they did, we’d have to make the decision that to run the MetroWest service, you may have to have a turnback.

“So until they can tell us categorically in June or July that you don’t need to do that and can go all the way to Westbury then we can’t make that decision, and the same is true of Yate.

“Network Rail and Great Western Railway would rather there weren’t turnbacks because it adds to operational resilience issues but technically there’s space within the timetable to have that turnback and operate the service.”

I could perhaps be persuaded that turn backs on existing tracks at Bath Spa are not going to be possible every hour - though there are already a couple of service that turn back there each day off pattern.  But on that same basis, I would need to be persuaded that there's sufficient capacity across Bathampton Junction, across Bradford Junction, and at Westbury to reverse the trains.   Westbury really needs the 4th platform re-instating even before 'they' try and turn an extra train around each hour - lost opportunity at Christmas I'm sad to say.  And I'm sad to say it will be very, very hard to persuade me otherwise.

Last Monday's timetabling meeting told us how difficult it is to schedule TransWilts trains / slot them in with the faster and more frequent services on the main line section from Chippenham to Swindon, along the single track sections with a 15 minute-ish transit time (and perhaps pathing time), and then to a platform to reverse at Westbury.   Which is why the Southampton and Portsmouth train leaves just before the train from Swindon (currently carrying passengers want to change for Southampton and Portsmouth gets there).  And in reverse the Swindon train has a habit of leaving just before the train from .... you  guessed it!

I don't see how Westbury will robustly support turning back another train every hour on 3 platforms, unless there is utter disregard to connections.   Or perhaps the MetroWest trains are already in the 2020 draft timetable to "run when required" but the version shared for consulting contained only the trains that will be required?

There is a solution - run all (yes, all) the MetroWest stoppers - every half hour - on to Frome. Alternate trains to reverse there and to carry on to Yeovil Pen Mill.  Bring the Three Rivers train that sits in the bay as Salisbury for nearly an hour on to Westbury, with alternate trains (all at peak times) extended to Swindon and Oxford.  Timetable to provide two-way cross-platform interchanges between one of the MetroWest trains (preferably the Yeovil one) and the Three Rivers to Swindon / Oxford.

Maybe a few quid can be had from Gloucester and Wiltshire towards the cost.

Interesting suggestion.  "I know you've already got two trains per hour - but we've got trouble dealing with an issue with another train on our patch - can it come onto yours for operations reasons please?".  Then "Oh, thank your for helping us a out of a hole and providing us with a way to save spending our money - would you like to pay for helping is out of the hole?"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2019, 10:25:20 »

[
I could perhaps be persuaded that turn backs on existing tracks at Bath Spa are not going to be possible every hour - though there are already a couple of service that turn back there each day off pattern.  But on that same basis, I would need to be persuaded that there's sufficient capacity across Bathampton Junction, across Bradford Junction, and at Westbury to reverse the trains.   Westbury really needs the 4th platform re-instating even before 'they' try and turn an extra train around each hour - lost opportunity at Christmas I'm sad to say.  And I'm sad to say it will be very, very hard to persuade me otherwise.

Last Monday's timetabling meeting told us how difficult it is to schedule TransWilts trains / slot them in with the faster and more frequent services on the main line section from Chippenham to Swindon, along the single track sections with a 15 minute-ish transit time (and perhaps pathing time), and then to a platform to reverse at Westbury.   Which is why the Southampton and Portsmouth train leaves just before the train from Swindon (currently carrying passengers want to change for Southampton and Portsmouth gets there).  And in reverse the Swindon train has a habit of leaving just before the train from .... you  guessed it!

I don't see how Westbury will robustly support turning back another train every hour on 3 platforms, unless there is utter disregard to connections.   Or perhaps the MetroWest trains are already in the 2020 draft timetable to "run when required" but the version shared for consulting contained only the trains that will be required?

There is a solution - run all (yes, all) the MetroWest stoppers - every half hour - on to Frome. Alternate trains to reverse there and to carry on to Yeovil Pen Mill.  Bring the Three Rivers train that sits in the bay as Salisbury for nearly an hour on to Westbury, with alternate trains (all at peak times) extended to Swindon and Oxford.  Timetable to provide two-way cross-platform interchanges between one of the MetroWest trains (preferably the Yeovil one) and the Three Rivers to Swindon / Oxford.

It looks as though what is saved on the cost of turnbacks may still be spent on providing capacity somewhere else. I like the Frome idea, although before long, you could end up in Portsmouth or Southampton. That Three Rivers Train - does it sit quietly for no reason, or is it the crew's meal break, as happens at Temple Meads with the Waterloo trains?

Maybe a few quid can be had from Gloucester and Wiltshire towards the cost.
Interesting suggestion.  "I know you've already got two trains per hour - but we've got trouble dealing with an issue with another train on our patch - can it come onto yours for operations reasons please?".  Then "Oh, thank your for helping us a out of a hole and providing us with a way to save spending our money - would you like to pay for helping is out of the hole?"

I didn't think that one through, did !?  Grin

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2019, 16:48:46 »

Pardon my ignorance, but is this perhaps one of those cases like Crossrail to Maidenhead, where everyone knew that Reading would be the final terminus, but they had to say Maidenhead to make the numbers work?

Of course Gloucester and Westbury would be desirable in more ways than one, because if everything goes well, once you get everything going and prove the business case, when you get to late CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) and the rolling stock needs replacing, you build a nice business case for electrifying the lot, without depending as heavily on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).

Playing further fantasy railways, if you had four platforms at Chippenham, could the ability to loop stoppers be enough to make reopening Corsham and Wooton Basset realistic?

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2019, 17:31:23 »

Further update regarding Portway Parkway received from Bristol City Council for the benefit of forum members:

Quote from: Bristol City Council
There has been some delay in Bristol City Council determining the planning application whilst some follow up ecological issues were addressed. All outstanding issues have now been addressed and we are expecting to get an update on determination by the end of this week.

The current cost estimate for the scheme includes provision for some minor signalling works connected to the operation of the level crossing just north of the site on West Town Road. This is because the sighting of the current signal which operates the crossing for trains heading towards Avonmouth would mean that additional barrier downtime at the level crossing would be incurred whilst trains stopped at the new station. This signal mitigation will mean that the level crossing can be operated once the train is ready to leave the new station thereby removing any potential for additional delay.

EDIT: Also posted here due to ongoing relevant thread.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 17:39:33 by Lee » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: