Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:54:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Metrowest Status  (Read 84616 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 08, 2019, 21:37:10 »

What would Brunel do ?

A broad gauge, atmospheric, suspended bridge with billiard straight rails,or a beached Great Eastern embedded in each bank, with a hole cut amidships, and swivelling half bridges rather like half arm level crossing barriers Huh
A project which would have been completed extensively over-budget
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2019, 19:28:52 »

Planning consent for Portway Parkway Railway Station now granted - details and documents here.

I have a detailed catchup on Portway Parkway pencilled in for 15th April. Please feel free to have a good look, and if there any aspects you want more details on, or if you have any other Portway Parkway-related questions, then let me know before then and i will ask.

Lee, thanks for posting that.  Although its not in my 'local' area I've always had an interest in this type of scheme since producing several ideas in my RT days.  One thing not clear is, on the drawings, it appears that you have to walk through the car park, along the road, from the bus set down/pick up point.  Have I read that correctly (or seen it properly)?

My apologies, both for the delay in the Portway Psrkway catchup which we didnt manage to do until yesterday, and for the fact that there isnt currently a huge amount to report. Bristol City Council have provided an answer to SandTEngineer's question though, along with a short update for the benefit of forum members:

Quote from: Bristol City Council
Yes the proposals maintain the current pedestrian route into the Park & Ride site, down the steps and ramp into the car park. Some improvements to this route will be made to enable an appropriate pedestrian route down to the station entrance.

The section of car park to the south is currently not in use. This area was laid out when the site was expanded so that further expansion can be achieved relatively easily. The expansion is not part of this station project but as parking demand increases we will consider the appropriate time to look at further expansion, subject to funding availability. This could also be an opportunity to look at an additional pedestrian entrance should it be felt appropriate.

We are currently working towards commencing detailed design for the project now that planning consent has been secured.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2019, 22:57:22 »

Of course, there is a tunnel below the river already, containing theconveyor installed to carry coal from Portbury dock to the coal terminal at St Andrews Road. Coal having gone out of fashion lately, I don't think it is being used. I'm sure that with a bit of ingenuity it could be widened and properly aligned. It was built quickly enough with little of the usual palaver when the residents of Avonmouth realised that the original idea was for an elevated conveyor running alongside their houses, and that work was about to start. A meeting arranged by the council to reassure them that it wouldn't make much noise saw an unprecedented attendance, and many pitchforks.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 13, 2019, 12:34:04 »

Weather permitting, so that's a big "if" already, I'm thinking of taking a quick jaunt coastwards on the Severn Riviera Express to see if there is any indication of work starting on the Portway Station site. Does anyone know if this would be a waste of time as well as the ticket fare?
I'm still not certain about the stipulation that's been mentioned about the funding being conditional on completion this year. If it is and there's not an orange jacket to be seen yet, are there going to be some interesting times ahead?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 13, 2019, 14:44:19 »

Weather permitting, so that's a big "if" already, I'm thinking of taking a quick jaunt coastwards on the Severn Riviera Express to see if there is any indication of work starting on the Portway Station site. Does anyone know if this would be a waste of time as well as the ticket fare?
I'm still not certain about the stipulation that's been mentioned about the funding being conditional on completion this year. If it is and there's not an orange jacket to be seen yet, are there going to be some interesting times ahead?

It's not hissing cogs & dats here at the moment,however as of now there is no sign of any work on the proposed site of the station.
Hope that saved you a trip Johnney.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 13, 2019, 17:29:18 »

It's only three quid return from Temple Meads, so not a big loss. A short trip around Avonmouth can be rewarding. An even shorter trip even more rewarding. When all else fails, may I recommend the George in Shirehampton High Street, opposite the Jobccentre? Less dangerous than the Lifeboat, some say. The chippy is pretty good, too.

Now, please!
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2019, 13:48:37 »

It's only three quid return from Temple Meads, so not a big loss. A short trip around Avonmouth can be rewarding. An even shorter trip even more rewarding. When all else fails, may I recommend the George in Shirehampton High Street, opposite the Jobccentre? Less dangerous than the Lifeboat, some say. The chippy is pretty good, too.

Or The Lamplighters which is much nicer than either and is nearer the station!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2019, 14:34:26 »

My goodness! I had forgotten the Lamplighters! Nice place, popular with young mums at lunchtime for some reason.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 14, 2019, 14:35:11 »

Or £2 return if I start from Clifton Grand Central Station instead of my usual Redland (and 1/3 off with my railcard).
Anyway, Western Pathfinder's reply yesterday rather told me all I needed to know. As for the Lifeboat pub, it's historic reputation still seems valid! 😮
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 14, 2019, 14:37:33 »

Or £2 return if I start from Clifton Grand Central Station instead of my usual Redland (and 1/3 off with my railcard).
Anyway, Western Pathfinder's reply yesterday rather told me all I needed to know. As for the Lifeboat pub, it's historic reputation still seems valid! 😮

I worked in that Jobcentre for a while, and once or twice had to deal with the fallout from the Lifeboat. No names. No pack drill. What goes in Shire JC stays in Shire JC.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2019, 14:38:34 »

My goodness! I had forgotten the Lamplighters! Nice place, popular with young mums at lunchtime for some reason.

Yes indeed, not been there since nineteen eightysomething. Pleased to hear it was recentlyish rescued from closure. Been past it a few times and it looks very good.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2019, 14:48:07 »

Yes indeed, not been there since nineteen eightysomething. Pleased to hear it was recentlyish rescued from closure. Been past it a few times and it looks very good.

I retired from serving Queen and country 3 years ago, and it had certainly been rescued a couple of years prior to that. I had a most acceptable fish and chips there around six months after the rescue, rinsed down, if I recall correctly, by a couple of pints of Bath Ales "Gem", produced by my pals Roger, Richard, and Craig. Now all millionaires, I dare say.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 15, 2019, 00:19:02 »

What goes in Shire JC stays in Shire JC.

I used to go in Shire JC. I managed to escape.

Oh, and I'd have to disagree about The George in Shire, unless it's improved immeasurably in recent months. Last time I was in there you could breaststroke in the Gents. That's if you'd managed to unstick your feet from the carpet in front of the bar.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2019, 10:30:31 »

Last time I was in there you could breaststroke in the Gents. 

Ooh er...  Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 15, 2019, 11:25:40 »

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, on Friday WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) was set to authorise funding for the next phase of development of a number of public transport improvements. If you found the Bristol Post article a bit hard to read, then this one from Bristol 247 contains largely similar information, without the clickbait and other irritating entrained clutter that is the hallmark of the Post these days. Actually the content is so similar, you could almost believe that both organs had simply quoted a press release...

Surprisingly, as far as I can see nothing has been made public about this meeting or its outcome on the WECA website, and Tim Bowles didn't mention it directly at the Community Rail Conference yesterday...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: