27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 00:18:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running early and not stopping (07:12 Taunton to Paddington, 23 Jan 2017)  (Read 9404 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 22:42:19 »

Many thanks for your detailed insight post here, IndustryInsider.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:13 »

Also, if the GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) radio is tied yup giving the driver non-urgent instructions, how would an emergency all-stop order get through at the same time? Slim chance, but it would eventually happen!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 10:16:09 »

GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) is more than just two-way communication though. If it's being used to talk to a signaller for non-emergency reasons an 'all stop' message can still be transmitted or received.

Still doesn't mean GSM-R should be used for train running amendments from TOC (Train Operating Company) control though.

If that were to be wanted then I suspect a separate discrete system would need to be fitted. Something similar to the ACARS system fitted to commercial airliners, which allows airline ground staff to communicate with pilots, separate from ATC (Automatic Train Control).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:32 »

There would still be seconds delay I suspect if the driver was concentrating on listening to Control. Could be the difference....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 11:26:06 »

Believe me, you don't miss a GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) emergency broadcast no matter what you're doing in the cab!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 12:50:32 »

If that were to be wanted then I suspect a separate discrete system would need to be fitted. Something similar to the ACARS system fitted to commercial airliners, which allows airline ground staff to communicate with pilots, separate from ATC (Automatic Train Control).

Isn't ACARS a text system rather than voice? I'm not sure a driver would be able to use that effectively. Don't forget a commercial aircraft has a pilot flying and a pilot not flying at all times so there's greater ability to handle messages too.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 17:40:53 »

I had Allways thought that GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) was in essence a mobile system that uses cells like a phone does so it should be able to receive a text message whilst making a call ?

Please feel free to let me know if I am wrong  Grin
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 17:43:16 »

I had Allways thought that GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) was in essence a mobile system that uses cells like a phone does so it should be able to receive a text message whilst making a call ?

Please feel free to let me know if I am wrong  Grin

I'm sure that the driver can be reached (as a last resort the Guard could enter the cab with a message.  It is just that under normal circumstances I expect that he can't be distracted whilst driving. 
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 17:58:49 »

as a last resort the Guard could enter the cab with a message.
That's not going to be easy on an HST (High Speed Train).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 19:54:50 »

Believe me, you don't miss a GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) emergency broadcast no matter what you're doing in the cab!

Presumably partly because it only springs into life when there is an emergency and not filled with general "chatter".
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 14:21:06 »

as a last resort the Guard could enter the cab with a message.
That's not going to be easy on an HST (High Speed Train).
I expect that would be easier than it would be for a guard to get into the cab of a class 91 on a moving IC225, which is also a High Speed Train (or is the MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine so big you cannot walk past it even with ear defenders?). The IC125 I've driven on OpenBVE (a train simulator game) has a buzzer system though, so I assume the guard could buzz the driver to tell him/her to stop at the next station (in fact, come to think of it that must be how the driver knows if somebody wants to alight at a request stop, so to reinstate station calls the guard could simply buzz the code that means stop at the request stop).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 14:28:32 »

Yes, driver-guard communication is fitted and in an emergency the guard could walk through the engine room - space around the engine isn't a problem (there's more room there than there is past the cooler group area), but it is rather loud so not ideal!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 20:30:21 »

Having squeezed my generous frame through a Class 31 and 37 engine room dead and stationary, I would hate to think what a Class 43 would be like at full pelt.  There's likely to be some pretty hot bits too...   
... in the dark!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 20:39:07 »

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere there's an issue with walking through a Class 43 power car due to the fire suppression system installed.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: