Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:53:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR’s compensation scheme is all delay and no repay  (Read 70204 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 11:31:00 »

Ever get the feeling you are being watched? My previous post was made at 2257 and I changed my forum signature straight after.

At 2307 the following email lands in my inbox: (details removed for quote)

Now, I've had dealings with ***** ****, Customer Support Manager, before. Catalogued elsewhere on this forum, viewable to established members. Those dealings included a face to face meeting with said CSM (Customer Satisfaction Monitor (FGW (First Great Western) Survey every quarter)) after some shockingly poor treatment by FGW (as was) front line staff. To receive an email from him (from the general GWR (Great Western Railway) Customer Service address, but late at night, and personally signed), immediately after a post critical of GWR can be no coincidence.

Could also just be a coincidence.  Even if they'd read your post at the exact time you posted it (which is of course very unlikely), ten minutes for details to be checked and a reply to be constructed and sent is very quick indeed.  It was late at night, but then again the email says the are open for telephone enquiries until 23:00 and I should imagine late evening is when telephone enquiries are thin on the ground so they can catch up with the emails backlog.

However, I'm certainly not defending the recent Customer Services performance which has been woeful in the extreme.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 16:04:06 »

Just gone down to my local ticket office to see if I could claim cash for the void days as the promised comms were obviously never coming.

Interesting experience. Took nearly 20 mins for 2 of us to collect our money. Ticket Office staff were great but they're obviously struggling with GWR (Great Western Railway) systems and processes. Manual forms to fill (heading was about industrial action), information asked for that's not on the ticket then logging onto another system to type something in, then processing refunds on another system, couple of stamps on paperwork, write it all down on a sheet and finally some money.

I think GWR really need to invest in some new IT systems. A central database of season tickets might be a start.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 16:31:47 »

But would you invest in something that will probably take a year to deliver when there are only 20 months left of the franchise. Especially if you think that it will have absolutely no bearing on your chances of retaining the franchise.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 22:52:46 »

But would you invest in something that will probably take a year to deliver when there are only 20 months left of the franchise. Especially if you think that it will have absolutely no bearing on your chances of retaining the franchise.

I wouldn't but so far as I can tell as a customer there's been no investment in these type of services for many, many years. I'm sure I could have written a business case to justify the investment if it had been my organisation but I think it would need a cultural change to succeed.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04:53 »

Its an ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)/RDG(resolve) issue.....development by them then available to 'rent' by any franchise TOC (Train Operating Company) in membership with them.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:23 »

Ever get the feeling you are being watched? My previous post was made at 2257 and I changed my forum signature straight after.

At 2307 the following email lands in my inbox:

Dear Mr ******

I am writing regarding your claim for compensation that we received on 05/07/2017 following your delayed journey with Great Western Railway.

I can confirm your claim is now processed and a payment of £50.00 has been issued in the form of cheque. If it’s not already with you, it will be very shortly and should not take longer than 2 weeks to arrive.

Please accept my apologies for the time taken to handle your claim. We have experienced some high contact volumes, but despite that we aim for a faster response than you have experienced.

Should you have a query please contact our Customer Support team on 03457 000 125 (available between 0600 and 2300, 7 days a week) quoting the reference number at the top of this email and we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you for your time and for travelling with GWR (Great Western Railway).

Yours sincerely

Customer Support Manager

Great Western Railway

Now, I've had dealings with ***** ****, Customer Support Manager, before. Catalogued elsewhere on this forum, viewable to established members. Those dealings included a face to face meeting with said CSM (Customer Satisfaction Monitor (FGW (First Great Western) Survey every quarter)) after some shockingly poor treatment by FGW (as was) front line staff. To receive an email from him (from the general GWR Customer Service address, but late at night, and personally signed), immediately after a post critical of GWR can be no coincidence.

So, hello *****. I hope you are taking onboard the criticisms in this thread, and in the press,  and doing something about them. In truth, I hope you are regretting the decision to hand over one of the most important parts of any business, customer services, to the woeful outfit that is Crapita.

I hadn't made any follow up query as to the status of my claim from early July, nor complained about a delay in paying compensation. It was only made on 7th July 2017 and five weeks is nothing compared to some of the waits people have had for a meaningful response from GWR Customer Services. As catalogued here and in the press.

I now feel guilty that, because I'm "known" to GWR Customer Services, I've been given preferential treatment.

Now, that cheque. I've moved since I made the claim. So there will have to be a phone call to Customer Services tomorrow. Hopefully not yet issued. And again, some guilt that I'll have to name drop when quoting the email.

To those still waiting a meaningful response. I empathise. And please don't hate me for what seems like queue jumping. Neither sought nor wanted.  Undecided

Oh and *****. This forum is open to everyone. You have the right to reply.  Wink

It's now approaching 4 weeks since that email from the Customer Support Manager. The email saying my compensation should be with me within 2 weeks. It won't surprise anyone to learn that the compensation hasn't materialised. "Should" is the get out word of course, but you'd expect the CS department's head honcho to be able to keep his word.

Unless of course he's got no control of the shower of 5h!t that is Capita.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:46 »

Have you replied and asked for further assistance? I suspect they don't know it hasn't materialised
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 11:00:09 »

Yes.

Called before posting. Told up to two weeks further to wait. Emailed the Customer Support Manager too.

They do know it hasn't materialised. Told it's been processed but not sent. Couldn't get a coherent reason for that from advisor on the phone.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:06 »

To pick up on a post in another thread, I guess the shambles that appears to have been the customer service department for as long as we can remember isn't the fault of Mark Hopwood and his management team, but that of Network Rail too?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 11:05:15 »

Why? How would NR» (Network Rail - home page) be involved? Unless you are referring to the number of claims being root cause?

My understanding is that the transfer of CS to Capita was Capita underestimating the number of lodged claims before they took over, and being unable to cope? I'm not sure that cause is anything to do with NR.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:03 »

Sorry ChrisB, it was meant to be ironic, but clearly didn't come across as such.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 11:18:49 »

My understanding is that the transfer of CS to Capita was Capita underestimating the number of lodged claims before they took over, and being unable to cope?
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Well they sure know now don't they? Bet they are well pleased they took on this contract with GWR (Great Western Railway).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 14:16:41 »

Second advisor I spoke with today had rather a loose tongue. When I was critical of Capita they said, "You're not alone. We're not happy working for them either." This advisor went on to explain they were formerly directly employed by FirstGroup.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 14:24:20 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 14:24:11 »

yup - those that wanted to would have TUPE (The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.)'d over.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 20:34:39 »

The thick plottens...

Recieved this email today from a third party to whom Fake Western Railway have obviously forwarded my contact details:

Great Western Railways and the industry regulator The Office of Rail and Road are working together to improve the way rail travellers' complaints are handled in future.

They have jointly commissioned this research to find out how satisfied you were with the handling of your complaint to Great Western Railways which was made on 25/07/2017. Our short survey should take no more than 5 minutes to complete.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Yours sincerely,

Director, Critical Research

Now, my complaint (I've only made a compensation claim and chased it up after the input from the Customer Services Manager - not a complaint per se) is as yet unresolved so the survey is a little premature.

It's good that Fake Western Railway and the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) are reviewing complaint handling on Fake Western Railway I wonder who instigated that?

However I'm concerned by the unsolicited email from a research company. Are Fake Western Railway permitted to pass on my email address (and possibly other personal details from my correspondence with them) without my permission? Murky data protection waters there methinks.  Undecided
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 21:33:39 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: