Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:23:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR’s compensation scheme is all delay and no repay  (Read 70203 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 09:47:42 »

Are you signed up for marketing emails? Might be covered by that (assuming no details of your current case have been mentioned - so all they may have passed on is your email address)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:16 »

Marketing emails to different address.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2017, 18:59:21 »

However I'm concerned by the unsolicited email from a research company. Are GWR (Great Western Railway) permitted to pass on my email address (and possibly other personal details from my correspondence with them) without my permission? Murky data protection waters there methinks.  Undecided

I feel the opposite. GWR used my marketing opt out (which they set themselves - they never asked me!) as a reason for not telling me how to claim compensation for void days on my season ticket. A rather convenient excuse on their part.. I bet because marketing preferences are set as 'off' by default!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2017, 19:08:40 »

You win your bet as Data Protection law require you to opt in, or at least physically accept a ticked box.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 11:21:37 »

As I've had no further replies to emails sent to Jason Ness, Customer Support Manager* (he who told me I'd have my cheque by 30th August), I've now logged a complaint with Transport Focus.

This after another call this morning to chase up. I was told in this call by the poor sod advisor working for Capita that he couldn't chase the complaint up because Jason Ness was involved. Also couldn't chase up the payment as I'd made my initial compensation request on the webform. These, I was told, are dealt with in a seperate office which the advisor has no way of contacting. 

*Yes, I've named him now.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2017, 21:13:46 »

And another thing.

Fake Western Railway/Crapita now send unsolicited text messages, asking, "How did we do?" after you call customer services from a mobile. That should be an opt in.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 21:31:45 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2017, 22:01:23 »

Not necessarily, as it may not be marketing
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2017, 00:10:34 »

There's an existing customer relationship so GWR (Great Western Railway) can send the messages. They should though contain an opt out to stay legal. The ones I've received don't. 

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2017, 08:02:14 »

Thats certainly true in emails. Not sure that the requirement is there for texts? If it were, there wouldn't be sufficient characters left to say anything useful
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2017, 10:27:44 »

Opt out? Text STOP.

That's less than 20 characters. A single SMS has a maximum of 160. Concatenation allows for many multiples of 160.

Offering the opportunity to feedback is providing a service. That means the sender must provide an opt out.

From Ofcom:

It is against the law for anyone to send you spam texts unless you have previously given them permission.

However, if there is an existing customer relationship between you and the sender, it can send you spam text messages about similar products and services, as long as you are given the ability to opt out of receiving such messages.

I telephone customer services. That sets up a 'relationship'. Fake Western Railway send an unsolicited text offering a follow-up service - "How did we do?" That follow-up should have an opt out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 21:31:22 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:31 »

Asking for feedback is not offering a product or service though.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2017, 10:45:39 »

GWR (Great Western Railway)/Crapita now send unsolicited text messages, asking, "How did we do?" after you call customer services from a mobile. That should be an opt in.
I thought you would have jumped at the chance to let them know how they did?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:30 »

Asking for feedback is not offering a product or service though.

Having just raised the issue with the ICO, they agree that the law covers sending unsolicited requests for feedback. I've lodged a complaint about this and the unsolicited emails sent by a third party on behalf of Fake Western Railway. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 21:30:57 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2017, 13:15:08 »

Well, I hope the ICO contact all commercial entities, because many, many do this, not just GWR (Great Western Railway). The ICO needs to clarify its rules in this respect
John R

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2017, 15:46:21 »

I'd agree ChrisB, as it's not at all clear that it constitutes a service.

I can think of many more things to harangue GWR (Great Western Railway) for at the moment than an obscure breach of the data protection rules. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: