27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 02:49:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: HST windscreen smashed after being hit by a wave at Dawlish  (Read 10023 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2017, 20:35:46 »

Just heard from a friend who is travelling on the 17.03 Paddington to Penzance train this evening that it has had to be terminated at Newton Abbot after the drivers cab windscreen was smashed by a stone after the train was hit by a large wave at Dawlish. Surely this must raise some health and safety issues as to why this very exposed line remains open to trains that are effectively being allowed to "run the gauntlet" there in severe weather especially when the nearby sea front road in Torquay is routinely closed in such circumstances. for that reason.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 22:24:17 »

Still seems to be running through to Penzance, albeit nearly an hour late.  I'd agree though that things gradually appear to be deteriorating through Dawlish. I guess a couple of mm sea rise a year doesn't sound much but over the years is maybe starting to become noticeable in its effects.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 07:19:37 »

The 17.03 Paddington to Penzance HST (High Speed Train) WAS terminated at Newton Abbot but was restarted from there using a following empty stock Laira bound HST in its booked path on to Penzance .using the same headcode.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 13:17:40 »

A second train - a unit travelling from Paignton to Exmouth - also suffered a broken window a short time later.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 18:39:52 »

I can see GWR (Great Western Railway) not running through in light of these instances. The health & safety of train crew & passengers must come first.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 22:31:01 »

A contact who lives in Dawlish advises that the sea was 'roaring' all night and on inspection on Tuesday morning on the sea wall west of Dawlish stn there was a
large amount  of debris and many really large pebbles.
Clearly a review seems prudent of acceptable sea conditions that allow trains to continue to run along this fragile stretch of railway in times of adverse weather conditions.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 23:10:54 »

Dawlish Avoiding Line, Now!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:06:14 »

Or get going with Bere Alston  to Okehampton whilst they argue about the avoiding line.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 11:54:35 »

Having seen the drivers eye video of the train running along the wall and being bombarded with waves, two things come to mind.  Why isn't wrong line working put in place, as I understand it is in place there precisely because of the sea wall, and secondly should not speed be reduced, to reduce the severity of any impact. I appreciate it would reduce capacity, although if XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) isn't running, maybe that would be manageable.

Perhaps the next XC franchise should include provision of rolling stock that can cope with the conditions there, as each passing year will mean that the number of occasions when Voyagers won't be able to run will increase, and the window of each stoppage will also gradually increase.   
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 11:56:52 »

That will come when they need to replace the Voyagers
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 12:17:54 »

Should just take the Indian approach and install a nice hefty steel grill over the windscreen! Problem solved!  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 12:26:47 »

Dawlish Avoiding Line, Now!

Hope x 2 I'm afraid, Bob & No!  Sad
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 12:42:51 »

How about installing a clear plastic tunnel over the tracks so that any waves that came over the wall hit that instead (and crashed over if necessary, though I suspect they wouldn't in most cases). It should be feasible to install something rigid enough to withstand waves and stones but allowed clear sightlines.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 13:26:13 »

I remember (it wasn't that long ago!) that one one of the first runs of the HST (High Speed Train) on the East Coast Main Line the train's windscreen was starred by what was thought to be a chunk of ballast thrown up by a train passing in the opposite direction. It was reported then that the front of the HST, both window and cab moulding, was designed to resist penetration by a brake block coming loose from a passing train. This was quite an improvement over the situation up to then.

So although windscreens may be 'broken' it would need quite a large stone or rock to 'penetrate' the windscreen.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 13:30:25 »

Why isn't wrong line working put in place, as I understand it is in place there precisely because of the sea wall,

The use of the up line for all trains - the one furthest from the sea - was put in place on Monday evening but it is worth noting the second train to be struck - a Paignton to Exmouth service - was running on that line in any event.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: