Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:25:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Different Height Doors on Swiss EMU  (Read 7469 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:05 »

Here's a picture of a new Swiss EMU (Electric Multiple Unit).  It's got sliding doors at different heights.  Presumably different sets of doors open depending on the height of the platform at the stations its serves.  I've never seen his before - maybe it's to help disabled people, load buggies etc?
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 13:24:32 »

Here's a picture of a new Swiss EMU (Electric Multiple Unit).  It's got sliding doors at different heights.  Presumably different sets of doors open depending on the height of the platform at the stations its serves.  I've never seen his before - maybe it's to help disabled people, load buggies etc?

Ah, I've been on these - I don't think they're particularly new.

As I recall, the higher doors are for luggage/goods space - presumably higher to allow them to be directly loaded from a trolley or van/lorry
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 15:02:28 »

Yes, that makes sense, and is consistent with there being no windows in that part of the train. I've travelled a fair bit by train in Switzerland (and will be there again in May) but never noticed a train with doors like that.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 18:24:58 »

Yes, that makes sense, and is consistent with there being no windows in that part of the train. I've travelled a fair bit by train in Switzerland (and will be there again in May) but never noticed a train with doors like that.

A lot of the 'private' railways in Switzerland that go to high resorts seem to carry quite a lot of goods and parcels and luggage - makes sense, especially in winter, to keep some of the vans and lorries off the road. Don't forget the BOB goes to Wengen which is traffic free.

Have you got any specific travel plans for your break this year? The ride on the BOB from Interlaken to Grindelwald and then on up to Junfraujoch is expensive and can be very busy (and is also quite a lengthy trip), but is worth it if you've not done it before. As I recall you can get 50% off with a Swiss Pass or half price card on the Junfrau Bahn and the BOB is classed as part of the national network for the rail cards iirc.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 19:55:15 »

It seems to me a little odd that the higher doors intended for light freight or parcels are of a contrasting colour to the surrounding bodywork.

I though that a European standard requires doors intended for passenger use to be of a contrasting colour so as to be seen by those with poor eyesight. That would seem to imply that doors NOT intended for public use should be inconspicuous by being of the same colour as the surroundings.

Or are these doors intended for the public to load their own bulky luggage, skis and so on ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 20:22:46 »

Surely the reason why the doors at the ends of the train are higher is because that's the floor height over the bogies. TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse)-duplex also have them, with a luggage storage area in each end trailer. As far as I can see (from an inadequate drawing) at the ends, where there is no high-level connection to the next carriage, there is a half-height "room" between the above-bogie floor and the upstairs floor - only accessible from this short full-height compartment at that sliding luggage door. Presumably the Swiss one, which has a cab not a power car next to that space, is much the same mutatis mutandis.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 20:44:08 »

It seems to me a little odd that the higher doors intended for light freight or parcels are of a contrasting colour to the surrounding bodywork.

I though that a European standard requires doors intended for passenger use to be of a contrasting colour so as to be seen by those with poor eyesight. That would seem to imply that doors NOT intended for public use should be inconspicuous by being of the same colour as the surroundings.
I've thought the same of the staff doors on ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s class 150s. They say Staff Access on them but are painted the same colour as the passenger doors.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 21:00:45 »

From 2012 consolidated text of the the PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) TSI:
4.2.2.4.2. Exterior doors
External  doors  shall  be  painted  or  marked  on  the  outside  in  a  way that  gives  a  contrast  to  the  rest  of  the  vehicle  body-side

There is also this, from the 2014 draft of a revison (apprently still work in progress):
4.2.2.3.2 Exterior doors
All Exterior passenger doorways shall be marked on the outside in a way that gives a contrast to the vehicle body-side surrounding them.

There isn't anything about goods or staff access doors not being painted like passenger ones, which might help. As would common sense, of course.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 21:07:59 »

Or are these doors intended for the public to load their own bulky luggage, skis and so on ?

Having witnessed them in action, albeit a few years ago now, I seem to recall station staff (there are lots) loading up with crates of food/drink deliveries, luggage and so on - I assume they use the high doors (agree that the floor is high due to the bogie clearance, but that bring other benefits) as they're on a level with a van or hand cart. And yes, in winter I am sure they'll be racked out for skis, although there is often an open wagon with ski racks that's towed/pushed at one end of some of the mountain railways. There's many tour groups visiting this area, so there will be significant demand for luggage space, especially for trains to Wengen as road access is not permitted.

With regards to oddities and not conforming to euro standards - this is Switzerland afterall...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:44 »

External  doors  shall  be  painted  or  marked  on  the  outside  in  a  way that  gives  a  contrast  to  the  rest  of  the  vehicle  body-side

There is also this, from the 2014 draft of a revison (apprently still work in progress):
4.2.2.3.2 Exterior doors
All Exterior passenger doorways shall be marked on the outside in a way that gives a contrast to the vehicle body-side surrounding them.

There isn't anything about goods or staff access doors not being painted like passenger ones, which might help. As would common sense, of course.

My reading is that this makes the livery on 43003 to be against the 2012 rules, but allowed again from the 2014 rules, as the guard / train manager / bicycle door isn't contrasting.   Commonly accepted (or rather commonly acknowledged) that the who set couldn't be retro under modern requirements.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:06 »

My reading is that this makes the livery on 43003 to be against the 2012 rules, but allowed again from the 2014 rules, as the guard / train manager / bicycle door isn't contrasting.   Commonly accepted (or rather commonly acknowledged) that the who set couldn't be retro under modern requirements.

That's what I meant by common sense: is the driver's door an "external door" under the 2012 wording? Or does it not count as there's no reason for considerations of passenger accessibility to apply to it. (Unless it's to help drivers who ...)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:06 »

There was, in fact, a revised version that came out in 2014 - with the new wording:
4.2.2.3.2.   Exterior doors 
(3) All exterior passenger doorways shall be marked on the outside in a way that gives a contrast to the vehicle body-side surrounding them.

There has been a lot more changed in the words defining the scope of the standard. This has gone from:
This  TSI  concerns:
 — the Conventional Rail Rolling Stock subsystem shown in the list in point 1 of Annex II to Directive 2001/16/EC, as modified by Directive 2004/50/EC, only when intended to carry passengers. However, heritage Rolling Stock is specifically excluded from the need to comply at upgrade or renewal....
to :
2.1.2.  Scope related to rolling stock subsystem
This TSI applies to rolling stock which is in the scope of the LOC&PAS TSI and which is intended to carry passengers.

However, the earlier text also had a section headed "2. DEFINITION OF SUBSYSTEM/SCOPE", within which was:
2.1.2. Rolling Stock Structure, command and control system for all train equipment, traction and energy conversion units, braking, coupling and running gear (bogies, axles, etc.) and suspension, doors, man/ machine interfaces (driver, on-board staff and passengers, including the needs of persons with reduced mobility), passive or active safety devices and requisites for the health of passengers and on-board staff.

I can see that might be confusing. I take it to define the scope in terms of the subsystem breakdown - which parts of the railway does this apply to (or not) - while the simpler "scope" is about the scope of application, i.e. which aspects are affected. Which I see as common sense (though that's always been a tricky concept in specifications and standards writing).
TM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:37 »

4.2.2.3.2 Exterior doors

I think the intention has always been for passenger doors to be contrasting.  The 2014 simply make that explicit.  AFAIK (as far as I know) the doors on power cars have never had a contrasting livery.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 19:59:29 »

I'm no lawyer, and I haven't read the relevant regulations in full, but as far as I can see there is nothing to stop FirstGWR putting a whole rake in a heritage livery if they wanted, for the following reasons:
  • The regulations don't actually come into full force until 2020, and the slam-doors mean the train cannot operate beyond that date anyway
  • Chiltern painted ex-Virgin mrk3s into blue&grey for their Banbury set and
  • as has just brought to my attention by stuving above, there is an exemption for heritage stock anyway

I think a far more likely explanation for only 43002 and 43185 being in retro livery is that FirstGWR don't think it would be a good use of money to do a whole set.

Quote from: TM(resolve) on February 17, 2017, 10:29:37
AFAIK (as far as I know) the doors on power cars have never had a contrasting livery.
The guards door on the TGS and one of the doors on the buffet cars aren't in a contrasting colour either.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:04 »

The guards door on the TGS and one of the doors on the buffet cars aren't in a contrasting colour either.

Isn't that door on the buffet car permanently out of use? I don't think they even have door handles fitted anymore.

As I recall, on the west coast mk3 loco hauled stock, there was at least one set of doors of each buffet car marked as 'not for public use' (predictably the 'l' used to go missing from time to time...)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: