19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 03:56:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • New Stations for Wiltshire: March 15, 2017
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three New Stations for Wiltshire - conference and update, 15th March 2017  (Read 3305 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:26:42 »

Wednesday 15 March 2017 @ Trowbridge Civic Centre, St Stephen's Place, BA14 8AH.

This conference gives the background, prospects, business case and timing for three new Wiltshire stations at Wilton, Corsham and Royal Wootton Bassett. Delegates will hear the case and conclusions from the consultant studies carried out at all three locations by SLC (Service Level Commitment) Rail and sponsored by the local Town Councils.

Details / invite at http://atrebatia.info/3new_20170315.pdf

also at https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts/posts/992472167519492
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:48:54 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 13:14:26 »

I would have liked to attend this but, unfortunately, I have court duties that day. However, I am sure that Grahame will post an update afterwards

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:01:40 »

I would have liked to attend this but, unfortunately, ...

Alas, I've been caught between a rock and a hard place too, and not able to attend. As the show's being run by Peter, Paul, Bob and Sarah for TransWilts, together with external experts who have been doing the technical and business case work, that's not really a problem though I would rather (from a  purely personal point) have been in Trowbridge.

I understand we have a full house of signups and it should be a good day (but the odd late gatecrasher won't be turned away). Paul Johnson, chair of TransWilts and former chair of the Swindon and Wiltshire LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) is our strategic development lead (where I look after shorter term tactics like filling trains) and will be telling people of progress and issues for Wilton, Corsham and Royal Wootton Bassett proposed stations. Peter Blackburn, our Presdint, will be chairing the meeting and has long experience of the station development in Melksham (where he was involved long before I was) and Corsham.  Our Bobm providing current service / situation updates for attendees, Sarah Trott on admin and keeping those three in order!

When we set up TransWilts to move to an appropriate service, the definition of "appropriate service" was a woolly one, and there was a range of options / opinions as to what would be appropriate.   Although there was an expectation on failure in some quarters, there was also a serious question as to whether an appropriate service would be at a rather higher level than we in fact started with.   With passenger numbers well above expectations, it's turned out that the current service level was sufficient to generate interest and success of the trial, to the extent that there's a requirement to move onwards to satisfy additional demand, and indeed to forecast future demand including new stations in Wiltshire.   The Wilton case has progressed well, and Paul and I noted how much in line that case is with Peter Hendy's philosophy for development when we had a chance to meet him the other week, and to welcome Paul Maynard, the rail minister, on a special train that stopped at the site.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:09 »

If someone is able to post details of proceedings and presentations, I'm sure a number of us would be grateful.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:44:58 »

If someone is able to post details of proceedings and presentations, I'm sure a number of us would be grateful.

Getting them together / will be emailed to participants within next 24 hours and also uploaded

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 13:21:14 »

Getting them together / will be emailed to participants within next 24 hours and also uploaded

Uploaded - links for TransWilts members via http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18087

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 14:56:08 »

Any chance you can put them somewhere more public or add me to that board please?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 17:10:53 »

Any chance you can put them somewhere more public or add me to that board please?

The TransWilts has at times added so much to the forum relating to the detail of the Swindon to Westbury service that we provided a separate board for that material and only have it accessible to those who with to read it - typically TransWilts friends (see https://transwilts.org/tw/friends-area ) and our moderator / admin team who are able to read it too / sort out issues that occur.

I am happy to add established members there on request, by p.m. please. I know that a few of you have in the past grumbled about this forum being too biased towards my TransWilts posts as it is. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to ask if you have felt that way, unless you have changed your view.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: