27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 02:02:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyclists don't count as road users  (Read 13865 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 11:17:34 »

Fine, so insurance until your utopia for cyclists comes about?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 11:40:24 »

I'll just ask you one question - if you were out on your pushbike, cycling along and were perhaps momentarily distracted by ecstatic thoughts of all we have to look forward to once GWR (Great Western Railway) have finished "Building a Greater West", and in your euphoria failed to see someone using a pedestrian crossing, mowed them down causing serious injuries, how would you finance the consequent claim for compensation?

Similarly, if you were the victim and the perpetrator was uninsured and unable to compensate you, how would you feel?

If someone was being seriously injured by cyclists and cast aside uncompensated every hour of every single  day you would have a very strong argument for compulsory insurance.  But that doesn't happen.  Reality is plenty of minor injuries and very occasionally a cyclist-caused tragedy.

Contrast that with motor vehicles and you are looking at dozens of life changing injuries and 7 deaths caused every single day.   

The scale of the damage caused by motor vehicles is completely and utterly out of proportion to the damage caused by cyclists.

We could have a society where everyone is insured for absolutely every risk (and whilst I wouldn't be in favour of that, I can certainly see that there are good arguments in support of going in that direction), but until we do it is not illogical to demand insurance against the major risks and not the minor ones.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 13:45:47 »

I'll just ask you one question - if you were out on your pushbike, cycling along and were perhaps momentarily distracted by ecstatic thoughts of all we have to look forward to once GWR (Great Western Railway) have finished "Building a Greater West", and in your euphoria failed to see someone using a pedestrian crossing, mowed them down causing serious injuries, how would you finance the consequent claim for compensation?

Similarly, if you were the victim and the perpetrator was uninsured and unable to compensate you, how would you feel?

If someone was being seriously injured by cyclists and cast aside uncompensated every hour of every single  day you would have a very strong argument for compulsory insurance.  But that doesn't happen.  Reality is plenty of minor injuries and very occasionally a cyclist-caused tragedy.

Contrast that with motor vehicles and you are looking at dozens of life changing injuries and 7 deaths caused every single day.   

The scale of the damage caused by motor vehicles is completely and utterly out of proportion to the damage caused by cyclists.

We could have a society where everyone is insured for absolutely every risk (and whilst I wouldn't be in favour of that, I can certainly see that there are good arguments in support of going in that direction), but until we do it is not illogical to demand insurance against the major risks and not the minor ones.

You seem to be arguing with yourself. No-one is challenging the greater and more regular threat caused by cars, and no-one is suggesting that everyone is insured for every single risk.

Your suggestion that cycling represents a minor risk is entirely your subjective opinion. In relative terms it is obviously smaller than the risks from cars but that does not make it minor per se. As someone who on a daily basis witnesses the behaviour of cyclists in Central London and has witnessed pedestrians mown down I would absolutely challenge it.

I am asking BNM a specific question based on his own comments, I am sure he will respond accordingly when he has time.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 17:06:55 »

If I was subject to serious injury by a cyclist I would not be concerned if they had third party insurance. There are other routes to compensation.

A civil claim is one. Another, if the cyclist is prosecuted for a criminal offence, is a claim for compensation following their conviction. If the person prosecuted or taken to civil court is of limited means then so be it. That's life.

The chances are miniscule though of me being seriously injured by a cyclist.

If there's voluntary insurance held by the cyclist then that's a bonus as an additional avenue to compensation.

So. Compulsory cyclist insurance is a "no" from me, no matter what may arise from an incident involving myself and a negligent cyclist.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 17:21:00 »

I found this FOI (Freedom of Information) response:

Deaths (Persons)
Year(a) Pedestrian hit by(b) Pedestrian hit by
pedal cyclecar, pick-up or truck

These figures are for the whole of the UK (United Kingdom). The ONS» (Office for National Statistics - website) are unable to distinguish whether these collisions took place on the road or on the pavement, but it would not be unreasonable to assume that in significant number of cases the pedestrian was to some degree culpable.

By way of adding a little perspective, here are comparable figures for the number of murders in the UK:

Deaths (Persons)
Year(a) Recorded murders(b) Of which, shootings

So if I read this correctly, you are much more likely to be shot dead than to be killed by a bicycle, but the risk of being killed by a car is far greater than either. From this I conclude that either (a) gun criminals should be forced to take out insurance, or (b) the risk of being killed by an errant cyclist is actually vanishingly small.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 17:24:38 »

Not much use is compensation if you are killed though.

More interesting would be number of pax hospitalised by cyclists cycling....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 18:07:09 »

These are the pedestrian casuality figures for 2009 to 2013:

LorryVanBusCarMotorbikeBicycle
% of GB (Great Britain) traffic51317811
% of pedestrian deaths involved in13776831
% of pedestrian serious injuries involved in2558142
% of pedestrian slight injuries involved in1558242
% of pedestrian casualties involved in2558242

You will note that buses seem disproportionately effective at killing their would-be customers; you'll probably be less surprised to see that lorries punch above their weight in the carnage stakes. However (whilst bearing in mind that the numbers are so small that rounding errors could creep in) it does look like bicycles injure rather more people than they should.

Van drivers on the other hand can bask in the knowledge that they kill and injure fewer people than expected.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 18:33:19 »

These are the pedestrian casuality figures for 2009 to 2013:

LorryVanBusCarMotorbikeBicycle
% of GB (Great Britain) traffic51317811
% of pedestrian deaths involved in13776831
% of pedestrian serious injuries involved in2558142
% of pedestrian slight injuries involved in1558242
% of pedestrian casualties involved in2558242

You will note that buses seem disproportionately effective at killing their would-be customers; you'll probably be less surprised to see that lorries punch above their weight in the carnage stakes. However (whilst bearing in mind that the numbers are so small that rounding errors could creep in) it does look like bicycles injure rather more people than they should.

Van drivers on the other hand can bask in the knowledge that they kill and injure fewer people than expected.

You have to take account of relative exposure when comparing distance-based measures. A high proportion of motor vehicle traffic is on roads with few or zero pedestrians (e.g. motorways), so the pedestrian casualities they are involved with arise from a small proportion of their total mileage. In comparison, cycle trips are predominantly in and around urban areas and streets where most pedestrians are to be found.

So rather than looking at the likelihood of each driver or cyclist hitting a pedestrian per km driven or cycled, we really should look from the point of view of the pedestrian: which mode is most likely to kill or injure them per trip or km walked. And looked at like that, it is quite clear that cyclists present a very small part of the total risk to pedestrians. I'd add that this doesn't mean the risk from cyclists should be ignored, but that should be considered through appropriate design of highway and cycling infrastructure, in particular not converting footways to shared-use 'cycle paths', a wholly inadequate form of cycling infrastructure that is bad for both groups.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: