Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:03:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you or have you considered standing for election as a local councillor?  (Voting closed: March 04, 2017, 19:33:29)
Yes, and I became one - 4 (14.3%)
Yes, but I didn't get voted in - 1 (3.6%)
Yes, I considered it but decided not to - 8 (28.6%)
Never considered it - 7 (25%)
Wouldn't want to consider it - 7 (25%)
What's a local councillor? - 1 (3.6%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Standing for local council  (Read 15013 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 25, 2017, 19:33:29 »

Can standing for a role such as an elected local councillor help your local community - their wants and needs including but far from limited to travel aspirations (actually travel's just a tiny part of the role for most councillors, but I need an excuse to post my question!)

Changing times ... and local elections coming up at the beginning of May; I've taken the opportunity to look at the redrawn parish ward I live in (here), and to reconsider whether I should stand for the council (here).

I suspect we have some members here who have been through such a consideration, and indeed some who have stood and been elected.  Interested to find out - so I'm adding a poll to ask ... not looking for a majority vote, just to get an idea of metrics and to find if we have any hidden expertise.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 21:54:15 »

A thankless job as Councils have very little power as central government tells them what they can spend and gives then far more to do with it than is possible.  They are therefore just the Westminster government's (I mean the Treasury's) poodle.

In many other areas of policy they must simply do what they are told. 

Now if our council's had the sorts of powers that councils have in Europe or the USA.....
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:43:31 »

I'd assumed you were referring to Parish Councils?....which aren't controlled by central Govt anywhere near as much, and very few are even political. Only the very largest have candidates for party politics. And boy, its fresher for that!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:12 »

I'd assumed you were referring to Parish Councils?....which aren't controlled by central Govt anywhere near as much, and very few are even political. Only the very largest have candidates for party politics. And boy, its fresher for that!

Parish Councils do indeed have more autonomy, but around here (Swindon), the Borough Council is transferring loads of its services to Parishes to save it money and allow it to pay for the rising costs of Social Care.  So street sweeping, grass cutting and even Libraries are being run by Parish Councils.  They therefore do not feel very much in control at the moment. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:20:47 »

Parish Councils can refuse to accept these roles if they so choose...
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:28:12 »

They could easily refuse on the Library....  ....but then it would close.  Not sure what the position is on the other services. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:00:14 »

Oxfordshire manages to keep theirs open without resorting to PCs.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 09:03:57 »

Oxfordshire manages to keep theirs open without resorting to PCs.

I don't have much confidence in the fairness of the local government block grant system so I would seek to judge either Oxfordshire or Swindon on that.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:15:07 »

As Wiltshire Council cuts back on services towards a minimum statutory requirement, parishes are being given the opportunity to take on responsibilities and costs should they wish to do so. Grass cutting, public toilets, play and recreation areas are amongst the elements that's applying to here abouts.  

And (noting a thread elsewhere too) in some places it's applying to public bus services / support; noting that Frome Town Council (at the parish level) is roving support through to the autumn to the 267 evening service on Mondays to Thursdays to Bath.   Parishes supporting transport services running in and out of their area seems to my logic something where there's a real advantage in having the overall system planned at a regional rather than parish level, as these things got from one area to another and the whole point of regional government should be to look after those things that aren't limited in effect / benefit to a single parish, but in the case of Frome, Taunton (county HQ (Headquarters)) is a long way away.    And Frome and neighbouring parishes served by the 267 don't necessarily have the same view as the council's officers who (as they live in or near Taunton) have probably never used the service.

Tough decisions on parish councillors - to take over something from "county" or to let it be lost. With the ruling political group at county saying "look, we don't put the council tax up" and "your parish person could have kept it if the facility was really wanted".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:24 »

I would like to know what power gives Parishes the ability to support transport? S137 I'm assuming, which is a limited spend per elector & often used for alternative priorities. There is no other power, so I hope they aren't overspending on s137
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 11:29:13 »

I did stand once in the early 70s but in a seat I knew I wouldn't win. I never put up for a winnable seat,

However, 10/15 years later we won the ward where I stood which shows persistence.

So not sure what to vote?

I suppose never considered it!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 18:54:14 »

I would like to know what power gives Parishes the ability to support transport? S137 I'm assuming, which is a limited spend per elector & often used for alternative priorities. There is no other power, so I hope they aren't overspending on s137
It's the "general power of competence", introduced in 2011. It requires that the council is at least two-thirds elected (not co-opted) and has a qualified parish/town clerk. We briefly looked at it for bus subsidies with Charlbury Town Council but our clerk, though very experienced, doesn't have one of the required qualifications, and Pulhams continued the X9 on a commercial basis anyway.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 19:13:33 »

Tough decisions on parish councillors - to take over something from "county" or to let it be lost. With the ruling political group at county saying "look, we don't put the council tax up" and "your parish person could have kept it if the facility was really wanted".

Tough indeed.  But also tough on the District/Borough/County Councillors too. They are only allowed to put up council tax by a certain percentage without a referendum. Unfortunately a referendum is extremely expensive so they would then have to increase by more to cover the cost of the referendum and if they lose they are therefore in a much worse position.

Government grants to councils in our area are decreasing down to zero by 2020. Counties and Unitaries are faced with massive increases in Social Care costs from increased demand and the cost of minimum wage increases affecting suppliers who are already saying they cannot do the job for the money offered by councils.

Who want to be a Councillor? 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 19:31:40 »

I am reminded of a similar observation, made by an existing trustee of a pension scheme when he reviewed the increasingly onerous legal responsibilities then being imposed on such a (generally unpaid) role:

"Anyone who actually wants to be a pension scheme trustee these days needs to get their head read" (said with a broad Scottish accent).

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 12:10:22 »

I knew someone who became a parish councillor in his 40s and observed that he provided some counterpoint to his colleagues as their average age was "older than Methuselah".

On a different note, "Beanacre" and "Berryfield" – do you live in "The Shire"?  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: