Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
20:16 Frome to Westbury
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:28 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
18:57 London Paddington to Great Malvern
19:05 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 20:26:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[97] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] IETs at Melksham
[18] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[17] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[16] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concern over diesel powered vehicles  (Read 5896 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 15:59:27 »

Regarding particulates, tyres and brake pads are a significant source and both have had very little attention paid to them for their reduction. Tyre wear rubber dust can be up to 60% of air pollutant in some cities.

How many particulates do you get from regenerative braking systems?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 16:12:57 »

Brakes are a minor issue compared with tyres.

Steam cars do get a look in every now and again as well ...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 16:22:36 by didcotdean » Logged
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 16:14:41 »

Doesn't change the dangers caused by spilt diesel.

Don't disagree - having had a few slippery moments on garage forecourts myself. It stinks aswell.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 17:13:56 »

Regarding particulates, tyres and brake pads are a significant source and both have had very little attention paid to them for their reduction. Tyre wear rubber dust can be up to 60% of air pollutant in some cities.
That is true, but those sources produce much coarser particles than those from combustion, and so are of less concern for their health impacts, as they don't penetrate into the deepest parts of the lungs.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 17:42:34 »

How many particulates do you get from regenerative braking systems?

None.

There is an argument that EVs must produce more rubber dust from tyre wear, as they are somewhat heavier than fossil-fuelled vehicles. In the real world this appears to be negligible.

edit: stray word
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 18:12:23 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 17:58:26 »

The size of the particles is very important.  I have not seen anything about the size of particles from Tyre wear.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 18:14:59 »

The size of the particles is very important.  I have not seen anything about the size of particles from Tyre wear.

Lots here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents/sbai_pres.pdf

Edit: If I've read it right, according to this, 50% of brake wear particles are less than PM20 and 40% are less than PM10 (Particulate Matter with a size under 10 microns); this states that the mode for tyre wear particulates is somewhere round the 70-80 micrometres, and that only 10-30% of these particulates become airborne.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 18:30:18 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 18:32:32 »

Concerns over nitrogen dioxide (NO2) emissions from diesel vehicles have been raised in recent years

Newer diesels like mine that use AdBlue to counter the NO2 emissions at least partly deal with this issue, or so we are led to believe.
The new Cornish busses (& Park for Truro) all use AdBlue with diesel.  Start/stop on the deckers; not on the P&R (Park and Ride).

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 18:53:03 »

As an aside, I note that the Daily Mail online is linked to from time to time on this forum. If, as may be the case, you do not support the Daily Mail and its particular viewpoint, you should be aware that every time you click a link on that website you generate advertising revenue for them.

There is also the issue of how reliable the reporting is. I'm sure you will already have seen that Wikipedia has banned the Daily Mail as an unreliable source.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 19:02:12 »

Concerns over nitrogen dioxide (NO2) emissions from diesel vehicles have been raised in recent years

Newer diesels like mine that use AdBlue to counter the NO2 emissions at least partly deal with this issue, or so we are led to believe.
The new Cornish busses (& Park for Truro) all use AdBlue with diesel.  Start/stop on the deckers; not on the P&R (Park and Ride).

And their mpg is around half of the Olympians they replaced!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 19:11:12 »

There is also the issue of how reliable the reporting is. I'm sure you will already have seen that Wikipedia has banned the Daily Mail as an unreliable source.

Wow!  How long has it taken them to work that one out ??  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:21 »

..and a major source of plastic in the oceans as well. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 21:21:03 »

From the Edinburgh Evening News

CAMPAIGNERS have called on rail bosses to end the use of older diesel trains after a study found excessive air pollution at Edinburgh’s Waverley station.

The research, led by academics at Edinburgh University and King’s College, London, found the Capital’s main railway station exceeded annual limits for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in just two weeks.

Average levels of toxic particulate matter were also found to be higher inside the station than outside, although not breaching legal limits.

The study said a “strong positive association was observed between the number of diesel trains and the concentration” of NO2. The gas irritates the eyes, nose and throat and has been linked with breathing problems.

Waverley has 491 trains a day running on diesel, about 59 per cent of the total.

The study said average NO2 levels were 86.5 micrograms per cubic metre of air, 57 per cent higher than the level directly outside the station and more than double the average annual legal limit of 40 mcgs.

What percentage of trains at Temple Meads run on diesel and how many is that per day?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 23:07:03 »

I would imagine that Edinburgh Waverley is particularly vulnerable to high levels of pollution accumulating, being both in a valley and under a roof. 
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 04:14:22 »

From the Edinburgh Evening News
CAMPAIGNERS have called on rail bosses to end the use of older diesel trains after a study found excessive air pollution at Edinburgh’s Waverley station.

The research, led by academics at Edinburgh University and King’s College, London, found the Capital’s main railway station exceeded annual limits for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in just two weeks.

Average levels of toxic particulate matter were also found to be higher inside the station than outside, although not breaching legal limits.

The study said a “strong positive association was observed between the number of diesel trains and the concentration” of NO2. The gas irritates the eyes, nose and throat and has been linked with breathing problems.

Waverley has 491 trains a day running on diesel, about 59 per cent of the total.

The study said average NO2 levels were 86.5 micrograms per cubic metre of air, 57 per cent higher than the level directly outside the station and more than double the average annual legal limit of 40 mcgs.
What percentage of trains at Temple Meads run on diesel and how many is that per day?

At a guess I would say, 100% of approx 200 departures per day.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: