Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:29:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross country cancellations through Dawlish 26/1/17  (Read 7762 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2017, 14:29:42 »

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/trains-to-plymouth-cancelled-because-dawlish-can-t-cope-with-the-wind/story-30088979-detail/story.html
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 14:49:18 »

Silly headline - Dawlish can cope quite well with the wind - it is the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) voyagers which can't.   Grin
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 16:31:45 »

Yes once again several Cross Country ' Voyager' DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) operated trains cancelled ( both ways) west of Exeter St D due SE winds of above about 15mph at times of High tides causing waves 'over topping' the Dawlish sea wall.
Thus causing delays of generally at least one hour ( through instead using the expected unaffected gWr trains) to hundreds of passengers' planned journeys and in some cases aborted train journeys.
This is now, and has regretably been for somewhile a standard Cross Country train's operating instructions and disruption procedure.

Has an assurance been given that the new electro-diesel Bi-mode trains being introduced
by First Rail's gWr TOC (Train Operating Company) will not also suffer problems with the ingress of salt water into their equipment ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 16:58:31 »

Class 800 series have been specified with particular regard to atmospheric conditions on coastal routes.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 19:26:56 »

Although that was in the specification, I wonder how much practical testing of that aspect has even been possible - even in simulated conditions.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:08:34 »

It's imposed on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) by Network Rail during certain weather conditions due to the risk of strandings.

With regards to the Class 80x, the design spec states they must be able to cope.  800001 has been down here for testing but not during overtopping conditions - probably because they don't want the publicity if it gets stranded!

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:16:22 »

Quote: "Class 800 series have been specified with particular regard to atmospheric conditions on coastal routes."

Wouldn't be the first attempt at an Atmospheric Railway at that location, I believe. . .
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 15:11:48 »

With regards to the Class 80x, the design spec states they must be able to cope.  800001 has been down here for testing but not during overtopping conditions - probably because they don't want the publicity if it gets stranded!

Indeed, two trips have been cancelled on nights when such conditions existed - coincidental? Similarly, one night when it was supposed to do a couple of shuttles between Newton Abbot and Plymouth, the test was aborted - purely coincidental that a couple of GWR (Great Western Railway) HSTs (High Speed Train) on either side suffered severe wheel slip because of 'leaves on the line'?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 19:57:22 »

Indeed, two trips have been cancelled on nights when such conditions existed - coincidental? Similarly, one night when it was supposed to do a couple of shuttles between Newton Abbot and Plymouth, the test was aborted - purely coincidental that a couple of GWR (Great Western Railway) HSTs (High Speed Train) on either side suffered severe wheel slip because of 'leaves on the line'?

I can't see that having a problem with the trials train would be more embarrassing that with one in service. Of course that would depend on what that problem was, though stranding would not be a major issue during the night or with a rescuer standing by.

I suspect there is a trials plan, and bad weather isn't included at this stage. That seems short-sighted to me, in that bad weather doesn't happen to order and you need to go out and exploit it whenever it turns up. But they probably do know their business better than I do.

But in any case (I hear you ask) class 800 isn't meant for this route, is it? We have not heard of any difference in this respect between them and class 802, but that doesn't rule it out.

Now, the requirement does call for operation in water spray:

TS1983 Full Functionality of the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) Trains must be maintained during and after exposure to salt water spray and such exposure must not cause excessive cosmetic degradation of exposed surfaces, components and equipment.

But that doesn't say how much. Environmental conditions are also cited by this (BS EN texts not available free of charge):

N078 The IEP Trains must, subject to the temperature ranges and specific conditions identified in this section, be able to achieve Full Functionality in all weather conditions specified in sections 4.1 to 4.11 inclusive of BS EN50125-1:1999 “Railway Applications – Environment Conditions for Equipment – Part 1:Equipment on Board Rolling Stock”. With respect to clause 4.2, altitude class A2 (up to 1000m above sea level) shall apply.

And then here is the catch-all:

TS1824 The IEP Trains must be able to maintain Full Functionality while operating over the IEP Network under all infrastructure conditions (other than infrastructure failures).

And what is the IEP Network? It comes in parts, and for the GWR order the "Great Western IEP Network" is defined by listing route sections by ELR and chainage in (deep breath) Appendix A to Part C of Schedule 1 of the Great Western IEP Network Train Availability and Reliability Agreement (TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement)). Basically, it's the whole of the rail network operated primarily by GWR. Explicitly, it includes the whole Main Line to Penzance  (MLN1-4) with Dawlish in MLN1.

It is possible there are some alternative designs of cover for the roof-mounted train components, such as the braking resistor. These might be tried out on 802s to see which is best. But then I think it's quite possible to make a train that can keep running with the brake resistors unserviceable. It only serves to reduce the heat dumped into the brake discs when stopping from high speed, and that shouldn't be an issue on the run through Dawlish. At worst it would mean a speed limit until the unit is serviced.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 16:47:26 »

I have a former client/customer who was on the 1C11 train which was supposed to get to Plymouth at 08:33 before the cancellations kicked in. He ended up getting that train and then swapping to the 08:14 GWR (Great Western Railway) sprinter service at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). Sent me a text at lunchtime to ask why the £$(#!=% cross country trains were not running but the GWR ones were. Then another one shortly afterwards asking if the new electric trains would suffer the same fate. My response was no idea wait and see.

My experiences of Dawlish running when the weather has been a bit exciting has seen more than a few gallons of salt water dumped on the HST (High Speed Train). Not sure I'd class this as spray as per the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) specs or even a shower, more like a torrential deluge!

Quote from: plymothian
Insert Quote
It's imposed on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) by Network Rail during certain weather conditions due to the risk of strandings.

I agree about the adverse publicity if a test train is stranded.
Quote from: stuving
I can't see that having a problem with the trials train would be more embarrassing that with one in service. Of course that would depend on what that problem was, though stranding would not be a major issue during the night or with a rescuer standing by.

I suspect there is a trials plan, and bad weather isn't included at this stage. That seems short-sighted to me, in that bad weather doesn't happen to order and you need to go out and exploit it whenever it turns up. But they probably do know their business better than I do.
As you say might look a lot sillier though if a passenger service is stranded and they have to admit they haven't done running on a 'windy and wet' day (say up to Blue level* warning) before launching passenger services.

*Voyagers don't run under a blue level (or higher) warning. All other trains can run with a blue warning in place with no problems.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 17:47:59 by 1st fan » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 07:31:52 »

I was at Penzance yesterday and the sea was over the top of my hst inbound. Hst picked up a pair of network rail staff near the old marazion station. I later realised those two staff were travelling on every service through long rock and Penzance sea wall.
There was a 0935 Penzance to Newton abbot voyager which left around 0945.
Friend and I were placing bets how far out of Penzance the voyager would die, but pleased to say it made it out!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 17:48:24 »

The Voyager Dawlish allergy manifests itself again tonight and tomorrow
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:48 »

This was Teignmouth an hour after high tide this morning.

The late running 07:06 from London Paddington to Penzance slows to drop the Network Rail pilotman off at the end of the seawall.

Looking the other way - and out of the spray!

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:16:58 »

Cancelled again this morning...

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: