Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 07:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New GWR wifi limits?  (Read 18417 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 06:37:29 »

A new day - and with yesterday's noise settled and an exchange of messages behind the scenes, I'm re-opening the thread.  WiFi on trains - something that was unthinkable to have at all ten years ago - is now so important to us that it sparks strong views and discussions.

I travel on a wide variety of trains - some with and some without WiFi,  with my most commonly used service having a mixture of fitted and unfitted trains.   The class 158 and 150/2 units that have it fitted seem to be a different setup to the HST (High Speed Train) service, and thus far connectivity when available at all has been good for what I need.  With some 153s staying longer than originally intended, we'll see if they get WiFi fitted, painted green ...

As a part of my main work, I carry a MyFi device and these days that's battery/USB operated (my first one was mains only) so that I can be online most of the time even if I'm on a train without accessible WiFi; that leaves the on-train service as more a convenience than a necessity.  But I'll still connect for the "bigger stuff" when changing trains at WiFi fitted stations.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:00 »

I wonder what sort of price the satellite would work out at?

I know someone who has just returned from a cruise and was paying between £7 and £20 per 24 hours depending on what sort of access you wanted - basic internet messaging and social media, no email - email, web browsing or top of the range video streaming and calling.

I too know people recently returned from a cruise (Mrs FT, N! and myself), and we rather balked at the $0.75 per minute cost of PAYG (Pay as you go) access. We were told by others that this was payable even for the frustratingly slow login process. Access was available at a daily rate as described by bobm, but only for the whole period of the cruise, not odd days. So we figured that if a couple of postcards home from Punta Arenas was good enough for Ferdinand Magellan when he was on the same cruise*, it would do for us too. We spent the money on drink onshore in bars with WiFi - half an hour after an exciting day's exploration before reboarding was enough to keep in touch, and the excuse for a crafty local cerveza was useful.

If the same sort of prices were applied to train-borne satellite internet access, the cost would be more than that of the actual train journey. Some would pay that without a second thought, particularly if the employer is ultimately footing the bill. Most wouldn't. We could have a two-tier system with premium rates for satellite and free / nominal cost for 4G access, but I don't think that would be workable.

On the electric railway, it is at least theoretically possible to transmit data at high speed through power lines. It works with National Grid, although that doesn't move much. That could be an area for research, but it won't make the trains go any faster or make money so probably won't happen quickly if at all. We are left with what is essentially a gimmick which works occasionally, and the knowledge that if you want a dependable signal, you must provide your own kit.

*If my memory of my history lessons serves me right, Ferdinand booked the cruise when he heard that there was a strait to the south of Chile and Argentina which had the same name as him, and he was fascinated to see it. Similarly, centuries later, I went to see the tiny Irish village that bears my surname. Fancy that - a village called Now!.

Now, please!
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 13:21:08 »

"We spent the money on drink onshore in bars with WiFi - half an hour after an exciting day's exploration before reboarding was enough to keep in touch, and the excuse for a crafty local cerveza was useful."

I remember seeing a programme about a Royal Navy ship a couple of years ago, and the Met Officer took her laptop onshore in the West Indies to get all the weather updates as she got a better signal at the local MacDonalds, than the wizardry of the RN could provide.
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 13:57:40 »

Thanks all for the ..umm discussion.

Given I spent over 3 hours per day on GWR (Great Western Railway), I travel with multiple connected devices..w/ coverage on O2, Vodafone and EE. They're all a million miles better than the train, but all have the best performance in different parts of my route.

My earlier point was really that it seems rather short-sighted to invest in and make such a song and dance about the arrival a capability that basically doesn't work!  During beta testing GWR consistently said it was slow because they were testing and it would be faster on launch. Of course, it never was. Even in areas of strong coverage, the service is poor. I appreciate GWR are at the whim of network capacity but they would have known this, and presumably tested, prior to roll out.

Back to the original topic..even with the new limits imposed it still seems fairly unusable. Ho hum. I'll go back to my myriad of devices!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 19:35:57 »

Back to the original topic..even with the new limits imposed it still seems fairly unusable. Ho hum. I'll go back to my myriad of devices!

Which is very sensible.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 20:54:45 »

I've found the wifi on 158's to be far better than on GW (Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train), fine on VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) East coast HSTs/91s. I don't even bother now regardless of how quiet or busy the carriage is on an HST the wifi just does not work for me. Just rely on 4G.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 22:20:01 »

"We spent the money on drink onshore in bars with WiFi - half an hour after an exciting day's exploration before reboarding was enough to keep in touch, and the excuse for a crafty local cerveza was useful."

I remember seeing a programme about a Royal Navy ship a couple of years ago, and the Met Officer took her laptop onshore in the West Indies to get all the weather updates as she got a better signal at the local MacDonalds, than the wizardry of the RN could provide.

I have been on four cruises over the years.

The first - around the year 2000 - was the first Geek cruise - the "Perl Whirl" - and we all rushed to the internet cafes in he ports we called at to stay in touch.

The second was a later Geek cruise and WiFi was specially fitted for participants in one of the ships bars, where we all congregated to connect (rather than to drink) much to the disgust of the bar staff

The third we bought a WiFi package and connected for a few minutes to grab email or look something up, but prepared reposes off line rather than a $silly per minute

And on the fourth and final cruise we were permanently connected, even is the connection was hideously slow especially after port stops when everyone was sending pictures home.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 01:03:02 »

Some numbers for download speeds (in Mbps) that I've recorded using speedtest.net over recent months:

Train
WiFi
Mobile
HST (High Speed Train)0.1227
Class 1800.52-15
Class 1800.3-0.9
Class 1800.9
Class 1660.3620
Class 150Failed10-20Bristol - Worcester

Most of this is on Worcester - London journeys. The mobile signal varies a lot (inevitably), but is always much better than the GWR (Great Western Railway) WiFi. So much so that I rarely bother to record the numbers nowadays. I'll try to be more consistent about this over the next few weeks.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 07:13:47 »

.......possibly the most First World of First World problems......personally it comes as something of a relief when there's no Internet access, it means people actually talk to each other.....or even open a book.....remember them?  Smiley
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 13:30:51 »

Interestingly, I found that out by accident on Saturday (04 March 2017) when I couldn't log on during my (3 hour journey home to the far Southwest Tongue
I suspect that's the system running out of dynamic IP addresses rather than the limit.
Couldn't they use the 10.x.x.x network? You would never fit that number of passengers on a train. Even if you used subnets within that range, so 10.1.1.x for coach A, 10.1.2.x for coach B etc. they would still have around 250 devices per coach.

It is a mean allowance in STD, but I suspect the number of available DNS (Domain name service) connections per HST (High Speed Train) are over subscribed, certainly in the peaks. Each router has a max of 256 connections ( I think), so unless there are multiple routers, say one for each pair of coaches), this wiukd be a way of sharing reasonBly the available bandwidth. I guess they're hoping pax give up once down on the slower speeds.
Oh, I didn't think of technical limitations of the router; I don't know how the router differentiates traffic from each device but if each one is on a slightly different frequency I suppose that could be a hard limit.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 22:02:01 »

.......possibly the most First World of First World problems......personally it comes as something of a relief when there's no Internet access, it means people actually talk to each other.....or even open a book.....remember them?  Smiley

Hardly first world! Connectivity is significantly better in India than on a GWR (Great Western Railway) train.

Travelling on the Hurtigruten ship off the north coast of Norway - far north of the arctic circle and while at sea I had a full 4.5G signal on my phone. Got significantly faster downloads than I get in central London. We've a lot to learn in the UK (United Kingdom)!

Oh, and books..what are they? Smiley
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 00:01:46 »

Thanks all for the ..umm discussion.

Given I spent over 3 hours per day on GWR (Great Western Railway), I travel with multiple connected devices..w/ coverage on O2, Vodafone and EE. They're all a million miles better than the train, but all have the best performance in different parts of my route.

My earlier point was really that it seems rather short-sighted to invest in and make such a song and dance about the arrival a capability that basically doesn't work!  During beta testing GWR consistently said it was slow because they were testing and it would be faster on launch. Of course, it never was. Even in areas of strong coverage, the service is poor. I appreciate GWR are at the whim of network capacity but they would have known this, and presumably tested, prior to roll out. Bifuiu

I normally just use wifi to check if we're going to arrive on time or if there's a delay. I told the person waiting around for me at MIM that the train - despite what the display was saying at the station - was going to be late.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 07:36:22 »

Does that mean that the mobile signal at MIM has improved? In single-track days you'd often find your train waiting there "for another train to clear the single track section" - but the station was completely dead as far as the mobile signal was concerned, so you couldn't tell whoever was collecting you.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 00:28:14 »

Does that mean that the mobile signal at MIM has improved? In single-track days you'd often find your train waiting there "for another train to clear the single track section" - but the station was completely dead as far as the mobile signal was concerned, so you couldn't tell whoever was collecting you.
Must be signal in the car park as that's where she was waiting.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 13:28:11 »

The first - around the year 2000 - was the first Geek cruise - the "Perl Whirl" - and we all rushed to the internet cafes in he ports we called at to stay in touch.

The second was a later Geek cruise and WiFi was specially fitted for participants in one of the ships bars, where we all congregated to connect (rather than to drink) much to the disgust of the bar staff

I was about to say that I am going on the same cruise in October, but mine will be Greek, as in islands. Whether or not I get Wifi is of no concern. I can manage a week incommunicado.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: