Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:20:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter 2017 travel plans  (Read 18498 times)
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 11:54:47 »

The same on most long distance services, Virgin East Coast, Virgin West Coast, Grand Central, East Midlands Trains all reporting heavily overcrowded services on Twitter.... it just goes to show how the government wants the railways to be run, on a shoestring with barely enough capacity to cope on a normal day.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 11:57:13 »

Plenty this morning who seem to be surprised that there are a lot of people travelling on Good Friday.

Comments on 'overbooking' - if a train went off with only those with reservations there would be a lot left behind ... to the casual traveller though maybe the fact that they selected particular service in the online booking should be enough to secure a seat on it. That is how coaches and airlines work after all.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:04:36 by didcotdean » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:37 »

Last night at Paddington they were advising people queuing to pick up their pre-booked tickets that they could just get on the train without picking up their tickets (as the queues were so long) and that they just needed to have their booking confirmation with them instead.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 12:19:45 »

.....unless of course more people have given up on the train & gone by road instead?

From the numbers milling around that I saw on my travels yesterday (admittedly not on GWR (Great Western Railway) routes) that was definitely not the case!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 13:32:08 »

Plenty this morning who seem to be surprised that there are a lot of people travelling on Good Friday.

Astonishing isn't it?  After all, hardly anyone uses the train on Boxing Day ...  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 13:47:19 »

The same on most long distance services, Virgin East Coast, Virgin West Coast, Grand Central, East Midlands Trains all reporting heavily overcrowded services on Twitter.... it just goes to show how the government wants the railways to be run, on a shoestring with barely enough capacity to cope on a normal day.

Not really a surprise there - that seems to be how they want to run everything!
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 13:54:29 »

It will also help that Easter is later this year, and the school holidays have coincided differently depending on where in the country you are.  The West schools go back Easter Tuesday, but London/East have another week off to go. 
Next week is where I think we may see extra overcrowding as the two - regular school day commuters and returning holiday makers - clash.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 15:19:37 »

When I was reading GWR (Great Western Railway) Tweets earlier today, there seemed to be a common theme, post after post.  Long distance trains packed to the rafters, people unable to get through to toilets and if they did succeed, passengers were standing inside them for want of space.   Buffet visits out of the question and clambering over luggage to move at all.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 15:51:23 »

It has been pretty similar on all the longer distance operators.

Only seen reports from Virgin customers of them not being allowed on the train at the terminus though.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 16:40:23 »

When I was reading GWR (Great Western Railway) Tweets earlier today, there seemed to be a common theme, post after post.  Long distance trains packed to the rafters, people unable to get through to toilets and if they did succeed, passengers were standing inside them for want of space.   Buffet visits out of the question and clambering over luggage to move at all.

..............but as GWR will tell you, there's no need to worry because severe overcrowding does not in the least compromise safety  Roll Eyes
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 16:48:14 »

As a comparator I see that the M4 was completely closed for a period this afternoon between Bath and Chippenham and is still only partially open. Congestion on various stretches of the M5 and A303 as well.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 17:14:30 »

..............but as GWR will tell you, there's no need to worry because severe overcrowding does not in the least compromise safety  Roll Eyes

But on the plus side we don't take the United Airlines approach when we need passengers to leave the train! 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 17:18:14 »

As a comparator I see that the M4 was completely closed for a period this afternoon between Bath and Chippenham and is still only partially open. Congestion on various stretches of the M5 and A303 as well.

The M4 was closed due to an emergency - a tanker in flames - I'm not sure how that comparison is particularly valid in the context of Easter being a somewhat more foreseeable event for the railways to plan for?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 17:29:29 »

The M4 was closed due to an emergency - a tanker in flames - I'm not sure how that comparison is particularly valid in the context of Easter being a somewhat more foreseeable event for the railways to plan for?

You can formulate the best plan in the world but, as every operator will tell you, no one has the rolling stock available to cope with the demand. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) ensures that each operator has barely enough stock to cope with a normal weekday. This is why the picture is the same across the country. Look at Virgin West Coast.  Recently upgraded but when it comes to rolling stock, there's still no spare capacity.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 17:47:53 »

You can formulate the best plan in the world but, as every operator will tell you, no one has the rolling stock available to cope with the demand. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) ensures that each operator has barely enough stock to cope with a normal weekday. This is why the picture is the same across the country. Look at Virgin West Coast.  Recently upgraded but when it comes to rolling stock, there's still no spare capacity.

If that's the situation, it's not ideal but the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s have to manage it and the number of tickets they sell.

I do not see GWR (Great Western Railway) complaining about the huge amounts of additional revenue they are happy to trouser by selling virtually unlimited numbers of tickets for trains which they know damn well will be obscenely overcrowded - in fact it makes perfect sense for them to do that rather than providing additional trains - why should they run two trains which are merely full to capacity when they can cram all those people onto one train in cattle truck conditions? - never mind the people who can't reach the toilets (being used as standing space today judging by reports), have panic attacks, stand for hours on end etc etc.

Ultimately, GWR are accountable for the service, they bid for the franchise, they have to manage it. If that means limiting ticket numbers in order that people can travel in something approaching humane conditions, then they need to grow a pair and do so...................although as I said they won't, because there is a perverse financial incentive for them not to do so.

Perhaps one of the experts can advise exactly how much additional capacity will be provided by the new long distance trains and how will it mitigate this annual farce?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: