I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:03:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Old Oak Common Open Day: September 02, 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Oak Common Open Day - Saturday 2nd September 2017  (Read 41161 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 12:25:37 »

Just went past OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and there is a ferris wheel positioned in the middle of the sidings!
Maybe staff testing it before it's open to the public!  Embarrassed Cheesy

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 12:27:30 »

Just went past OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and there is a ferris wheel positioned in the middle of the sidings!

Let's hope there are no cancellations due to "an obstruction on the line". 
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 12:44:55 »

I'll be going too, dragging the family along  Wink

Our method is drive to Westfield then one stop on the tube.

I remember last time I went (15 years ago?) they ran a turbo shuttle from Paddington, however I still went via pad then east Acton for some reason.
Time before that (25+ years ago) it was suppose to be a shuttle with a class 117? from the end of platform 1 at pad, however that failed before departure and we were transferred to an HST (High Speed Train) that was due to go to old oak anyway.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 13:43:59 »

When I used to commute to OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) in the late 70's I used to get the Central Line from Ealing Broadway to North Acton, which was closer than East Acton.  However, this relied on a path that cut through to Old Oak Common Lane:  I've no idea if this path still exists as there's been a fair bit of development around there.

Would that be the footpath that ran alongside and south of the old (closed 1947) Old Oak Lane Halt? There is still a footbridge over the Central Line, and an entrance off Old Oak Lane though that's now gated. Where, how, or even if it went under the West London Line isn't clear on the maps I've seen. Ah - it did go under the WLL, and along the top of the deep cutting (with steps for the steep bit) and came out onto Victoria Road  opposite the old Station Cafe. See OS (Ordnance Survey) map TQ2181NW, Surveyed: 1953, Published: 1955 for details (lots of them; that's mapped at 1:1250).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 13:58:50 by stuving » Logged
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 18:07:46 »

I think that was the path, which is in fact marked on my Big London A-Z dated 2007.  Perhaps it is/was a railway-owned path and not a public footpath, and maybe it's not now open to the public.  I might have a look on Saturday, and might even go back via North Acton for old time's sake.

However, I normally went home on the drivers' "workabus" to Padd - there are some stories to be told about some of those journies journeys!

Edit - inexcusable spelling error!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 19:45:16 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 19:21:16 »

I think that was the path, which is in fact marked on my Big London A-Z dated 2007.  Perhaps it is/was a railway-owned path and not a public footpath, and maybe it's not now open to the public.  I might have a look on Saturday, and might even go back via North Acton for old time's sake.

Yes, that's the one (I'd forgotten I've got an old A-Z; in my case from 1990). I think it was closed because a thing was built next to it at the Old Oak Lane end. What kind of thing? Kensal Green ATFS!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 19:58:00 by stuving » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 21:44:32 »

When I used to commute to OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) in the late 70's I used to get the Central Line from Ealing Broadway to North Acton, which was closer than East Acton.  However, this relied on a path that cut through to Old Oak Common Lane:  I've no idea if this path still exists as there's been a fair bit of development around there.

I'll probably travel to Padd then Bakerloo line to Willesden J.

The path from North Acton to Old Oak Lane closed 25 years ago!!!!!

The best route if using TV locals is Ealing Broadway to East Acton on the Central  and hoof it or if using intercity Padd to Willesden Jcn on the Bakerloo and hoof it

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 21:53:54 »

Our method is drive to Westfield then one stop on the tube.

I've decided to drive to Westfield Shepherds Bush too. With parking there only £6 it's a no-brainer. The 228 bus also calls at Westfield.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 07:57:25 »

Let's hope there are no cancellations due to "an obstruction on the line". 

More Ferris wheels than usual needing repairs.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2017, 09:33:12 »

In the queue. Without cap or camera. Left them both on coffee table. Realised when I was halfway up the A303.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2017, 15:52:36 »

A good line up today and a good time all round.  Took the VIP shed tour this morning and worth every penny.  Many thanks guys for your help and enthusiasm.

Some photos: (1) A trans-generational display including Didcot's steam rail motor giving rides, (2) In the HST (High Speed Train) shed to be gone by December to make way for HST2 OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) development, and (3) a 57 in the lifting shop (again? Smiley )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 15:58:19 by Oxonhutch » Logged
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 18:23:21 »

Congratulations to everyone involved in putting on to-days event, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  First time I’ve been back to OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) in 37 years, but nice to see parts of the carriage shed just like they were in my time.  Also the café on the corner of Old Oak Common Lane is still there where the HST (High Speed Train) commissioning team would have their special fry up – an “Alfie”.  Met a few people who were there in my era, and it brought back many memories.

Well planned opening ceremony as well, with a specially-vinyled vehicles - first a 180, then a HST power car - rolling out of the heavy maintenance shed on their cues.

Well done GWR (Great Western Railway) (and I don’t often think that)!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 18:31:54 »

Well done GWR (Great Western Railway) (and I don’t often think that)!

If only running a railway was as easy ...
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 19:04:35 »

I spent about an hour at the depot, had another event to go to in the afternoon.

I did get a chance to meet a few ex colleges; some still at the depot but with literally weeks left before they take redundancy / retirement.

A well thought out event, excellent planning and management a real credit to the Old Oak team, they paid the 'ld girl a fitting tribute one that will be remembered for a long time.  All this in the phoenix just over the fence the Elizabeth Line Depot who continues to bare the proud name Old Oak Common 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2017, 19:12:17 »

A grand (half) day out. In the company of PhilWakely. Plenty of 'Western' variety on display, from GWR (Great Western Railway) (original) King through to GWR (imposter) Class 800. Via diesel-hydraulics, 47s, 50s, HSTs (High Speed Train) and 180s.

Two-fifths of a 180 was unveiled in a commerative vinyl wrap, celebrating 111 years of Old Oak Common and 'Legends of the Great Western', as well as highlighting the charity chosen as beneficiary for this event.

https://www.place2be.org.uk A children's mental health charity.

Also unveiled in a commerative livery was HST power car 43093. Which has been named 'Old Oak Common HST Depot 1976-2018'.

Despite not taking my camera I do have a half decent set of photos taken on phone. I'm uploading those to my Google Drive as I type. I'll post a link to the folder later.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: