21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:27:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the Greater South West be co-ordinating en blok?  (Voting closed: May 02, 2017, 07:30:51)
Love it. Yes please! - 3 (16.7%)
Like it. Idea has great merit! - 9 (50%)
Don't care. - 1 (5.6%)
No - Can't improve much on how we do things now. - 0 (0%)
No - each smaller area should be an island! - 2 (11.1%)
No - this should all be done country-wide! - 0 (0%)
None of the above (please post if you vote this way) - 3 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-ordination across the greater South West  (Read 4593 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:51 »

The Greater South West - an area that stretches all the way from deepest Cornwall into the Home Counties and close to the Midlands - needs co-ordinated and linked policies and implementation to ensure that the area fulfils its economic and social role within England.  To be powered both by co-ordinated local government and by investment from central government at a similar level to that provided in regions such as The North and such as London.

Whether it's tourism, transport, healthcare, environmental or emergency services (to name but a few) the whole can be so much more than a sum of the parts. Where appropriate that connected approach gets the widest benefit from capital spend, and provides an effective groundwork for systems with a high return in quality of life and economic development, while controlling ongoing operational expenditure.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:00:37 »

I've put 'None of the above' although it is a complete contradiction of my views as I wanted to select two choices....

No - Can't improve much on how we do things now.
No - this should all be done country-wide!

The latter would be my ultimate choice but it is nothing more than a Utopian solution since the former is decided by the current political climate.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 17:00:15 »

But doing it country-wide means we only get the interests of London and the South East because that is where central government is based.  So who would do it country-wide? Not central government!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 17:19:07 »

But doing it country-wide means we only get the interests of London and the South East because that is where central government is based.  So who would do it country-wide? Not central government!
Thats the very reason why I voted 'No - each smaller area should be an island'  Roll Eyes Tongue Wink
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 17:40:57 »

I have voted, like it - great merit, although I think certain aspects could be done this way I believe others should remain separate.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 17:15:37 »

The "Greater SouthWest" poll is intentionally asking about the broad brush idea for appropriate elements; which elements are appropriate would be better learned from a look at what's included in the Northern Powerhouse and the Midland Engine and their experiences.

Interesting to see the results so far ... I would love more votes from members so that it's starting to have statistically useful numbers, even though the sampling method is the self-selecting "members of the Coffee Shop" one!.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 17:27:11 »

I've voted "None of the above" because I think the Greater South West is too big a region.  I think it needs to be smaller combinations e.g. the Peninsula Rail Task Force covers Somerset, Devon & Cornwall plus the Unitaries of Plymouth and Torbay.  A good and manageable size both in terms of area and also the actual people (policy makers, officers) needed to make things happen.

I certainly think we need change.  To me, power over English regions is generally too centralised in Whitehall. 
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 19:04:00 »

I've voted "None of the above" because I think the Greater South West is too big a region.  I think it needs to be smaller combinations e.g. the Peninsula Rail Task Force covers Somerset, Devon & Cornwall plus the Unitaries of Plymouth and Torbay.  A good and manageable size both in terms of area and also the actual people (policy makers, officers) needed to make things happen.

I am not sure I agree with this.  Transport to the far SW is affected by Road congestion in Wiltshire and Rail Congestion even further East.  A large regional body can address these issues>

On the other hand I take the point that a very large body may end up favouring, for example, Bristol over Devon and Cornwall.

I certainly think we need change.  To me, power over English regions is generally too centralised in Whitehall. 

I can certainly agree with that
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 19:56:54 »

I think that we are actually heading for an era of LESS Co-ordination across the greater west.

Near the Eastern end of the route at Reading we have a vociferous MP (Member of Parliament) who seems to believe that whole of the  GWR (Great Western Railway) should be run to maximise the number of standard class seats for Reading commuters over all else.
In London we have a mayor who wants control of all inner suburban routes, to maximise capacity for inner London commuters.
Cross rail is coming, and some perceive a risk of it gobbling up paths and money that are also needed for longer distance services to say Cornwall.

Much further West we are about to have a new "metro mayor" who will presumably want the needs of Bristol and surrounding districts prioritised over all else.

And in the future, further powers will probably be granted to the Welsh assembly. Likely result More and/or better specified trains for the routes serving Wales whilst the far southwest gets downgraded.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 20:14:59 »

I feel that the Greater South West as a region doesn't quite make sense. The problem in my mind is not that it's too large, either in area or population, but that it's incohesive. It simply doesn't "feel" like there's much connection in it. Partly it's an awkward shape but also it has no logical centre. Bristol is obviously by far the largest city but it's stuck out in one corner of the region and doesn't serve as a focus for people in Dorset let alone Cornwall, either in terms of employment, administration, culture, population or anything else.

In this way it doesn't hang together as say the Midlands does, centred on Birmingham. The West of England metro-mayor region does make sense (I'm not totally convinced it makes sense as an additional layer of local government) but obviously it's easier cos it's much smaller. If these metro-regions (WoE, Gtr Manchester, West Mids, Mersey, Teeside – there might be a couple of others I've forgotten; London of course) turn out to be a successful idea, perhaps there's room for another one in the GSW around Exeter. Or maybe that would be an exaggeration of the city, I don't know.

I'd like regional cooperation to make sense, I think it can offer benefits, but first of all the region has to make sense and I don't think the Greater South West does.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 21:14:40 »

Having read the comments, I am not sure whether I like it (as I voted) any more. I'm caught between it being a brilliant idea, or plain barking mad. The middle ground doesn't interest me.

Now, please!
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 22:38:46 »

Grahame's question was posed in a context of general policy and not specific to transport, but I think that the replies so far have provided a useful introduction to some of the issues involved.

The shape of regional coordination depends upon the extent to which common ground can be found; the previous posts give examples of the tensions between the western peninsula, Bristol and the Thames Valley.

However I think that the bigger issue is the way that policy has become detached from a vision of what we might be trying to achieve on this little island, and why. This is compounded, for transport especially, by the current single-issue focus on economic growth (with other issues such as environment, safety, social and quality-of-life relegated to a minor weighting).

There is a natural tendency for networks of many sorts to refine themselves into trunk routes and major key nodes. However I've never seen any analysis of whether the volume-hungry nature of rail and the focus of investment in the south east have taken London beyond the most efficient level of concentration. Economic efficiency aside, it's not obvious that it's the best arrangement for the sanity of English citizens. So... where is the evidence to support a more dispersed economy?

We hear about "economic powerhouses" and see the concentration of jobs in major cities - but there's no exploration of the consequences of that for the many smaller towns and cities. What is our vision? ( dormitory towns sound awfully dull ).

We measure regional productivity in simple GVA terms - without acknowledging that GVA is a poor indicator of the real value of local activities (anyone need food?... or a weekend break?)

So... regional cooperation, yes, but not just for strength and only with a thoughtful appraisal of what it is towards which we should be striving.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:36 »

That makes a lot of sense; but sort of ironically most of it applies at a national (or even global) level.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: