Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:22:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Fawley Forester: May 13, 2017
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Something in the Solent area - Southampton to Fawley with Hastings diesel  (Read 11770 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:32:17 »

Keep 13th May 2017 free ... follow up in a few days
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 13:35:27 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:46 »

Oooh! Hopefully, I will be somewhere in the solvent area then.

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 12:49:23 »

Oooh! Hopefully, I will be somewhere in the solvent area then.

Financially, or something involving misuse of glue?    Grin

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 17:10:22 »

Certainly a fiscal issue. A friend who tried the other one came to a sticky end.

Now, please!
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 18:37:56 »

Portsmouth Beer Festival that day.

A wrong turn after imbibing well and one could end up in the Solent.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 19:10:10 »

For a spoon full of sugar, the Solent is a solvent ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 19:16:02 »

Portsmouth Beer Festival that day.

A wrong turn after imbibing well and one could end up in the Solent.

Is that what they call Insolent?

(I can see where this is going. I have my coat at the ready)

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 13:33:58 »

http://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/railtours/2017waterside.pdf

THE FAWLEY FORESTER - Saturday 13 May 2017

Promoted by the Three Rivers Community Rail Partnership

Our train has been chartered by the Three Rivers Community Rail Partnership to run three shuttle-trips between Southampton Central and Fawley, on the old Waterside Line through Marchwood and Hythe. Its passenger service was withdrawn in 1966, and freight trains ceased serving Fawley oil refnery in 2016. This outing promotes the potential re- opening of the line to passengers, and celebrates the Partnership’s 10th anniversary.

Rather than send the train empty to Basingstoke to begin the charter, we made it an outing in its own right. Our train will run via the L&SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Main Line to Southampton Central, then make its frst of three shuttle trips to Fawley, calling at Totton in both directions. After returning to Southampton it will then make two further shuttle trips to Fawley. The train’s third and fnal departure from Fawley will be the start of its journey back to Hastings.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 14:52:05 »

It's a shame that this clashes with the Minehead trip

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:30:23 »

http://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/railtours/2017waterside.pdf

THE FAWLEY FORESTER - Saturday 13 May 2017

Promoted by the Three Rivers Community Rail Partnership

From a post of mine elsewhere ...

What are you doing on 13th May?  I am spoiled for choice!   

There's a special train to Minehead - connection (included) from Swindon and 08:36, Chippenham at 08:53 and Melksham at 09:02 - all profits to a local charity and a very reasonable price of £35 per person / £30 per person for a group. See http://www.125group.org.uk/gwr-charity-hst-to-minehead/

And there's a special train running from Southampton via Totton and Hythe to Fawley - a rare opportunity to travel by train to the refinery gates.  See http://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/railtours/2017waterside.pdf

TransWilts are working closely with the GWR (Great Western Railway) team to help promote the Minehead service by High Speed Train, and with Three Rivers CRP (Community Rail Partnership) to help promote the Fawley trip on the Hastings Diesel. The trips are so different that I expect the choice of where to go to be a "no brainer" for most people. 

Personally I hope to make it to Fawley; Minehead is a much better leisure destination, but with TransWilts hopes to link Swindon - Westbury, Westbury - Salisbury and Salisbury - Southampton services in the not-too-distant future (giving through services such as Swindon to Salisbury and Chippenham to Southampton Airport), the Southampton connection is really important for us for our ongoing day to day business ... and it's possible that at some future date the service from Swindon would end up at ... a new station at Fawley.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 17:31:14 »

Wow!   ... what a trip!   ... here's a first taster picture - more to follow.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 22:17:43 »

In the interests of clarity and continuity, I have moved a few posts from this topic and merged them with a wider, ongoing, discussion of the possibility of reopening the former rail line between Hythe and Totton, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10308.msg213783#msg213783

However, I also include a copy here of the content of grahame's post about the 'Fawley Forester' excursion in particular:

What a fascinating trip to Fawley - a huge thanks to the Three Rivers Community Rail Partneship and to Hastings Diesels for organising it. With a choice of special trips yesterday to Minehead (a lovely town) and to Fawley (at the gates of an oil refinery, with no chance to get off), I chose the latter ...

Pictures all taken yesterday; some are informational shots rather than good pictures!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 05:18:04 »

I think you also need to update post #4139 to make the reference to '#post 4' relevant again
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 13:16:58 »

I heard something unusual going through Wokingham station - non-stop, and just different-sounding - and looked out just in time to see its flat rear face and greener green colour. Looking on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) I find it's a 100 mph EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) going to Keynsham.

A what??? Closer examination shows that it started from Hastings, which provides an explanation, but only if it's really a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit). Does labelling it an EMU have no effect at all? No-one get twitchy when it insists on charging up the bank and into P8 at Reading? (Special permission to go over the viaduct, apparently.) And as for 100 mph, that's going to be a challenge.

And then a bit later, another episodic visitor that's obviously a tour of some kind, and turns out to be from High Wycombe to Redhill (?). Due back later on its way from Caterham to Eastleigh (Huh). Oh well, that's just a whole new kettle of fishy behaviour.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 14:14:34 »

A what??? Closer examination shows that it started from Hastings, which provides an explanation, but only if it's really a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit). Does labelling it an EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) have no effect at all?

It's both - a diesel electric multiple unit.  Diesel engine generates the electricity which then runs the motors to drive the wheels around.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: