Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:43:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Acceptance of new pound coins in ticket machines  (Read 13939 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:01:02 »

The Daily Telegraph is reporting "Millions of rail passengers face chaos when buying tickets from train stations from Tuesday, as more than half of operators will not have modernized all their ticket machines to accept the new £1 coins.".   It goes on to report TOC (Train Operating Company) by TOC ...

South West Trains and Great Western Railway

"... working to ensure all ticket vending machines across our estate will be able to accept the new £1 before the present coin ceases to be legal tender."

Sounds positive but - think about it. The old coin will be acceptable for quite a while, won't it? Shouldn't the machines be accepting the new coins from when they become legal tender, rather than from when the old ones cease to be legal tender?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:15:17 »

Many machines don't even accept the new fiver yet. I guess you have no opportunity to purchase before travel if they can't be bothered to update machines.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:06:19 »

Correct. Also, only 6 months left on valudity for old coin, so do you change again in October to prevent use of old coin?

I think we need to agree a tad of slack is needed as ling as changeover is during the next 6 months. You will be lucky to get the new coin in first week or so anyway as it'll take a few weeks for the new coin to exceed the old one in circulation
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:19:13 »

Correct. Also, only 6 months left on valudity for old coin, so do you change again in October to prevent use of old coin?

I think we need to agree a tad of slack is needed as ling as changeover is during the next 6 months. You will be lucky to get the new coin in first week or so anyway as it'll take a few weeks for the new coin to exceed the old one in circulation

It sounds like you're suggesting a single changeover to the machines at the point where the new coin numbers outweigh the old for the OPERATIONAL CONVENIENCE of the TOCs (Train Operating Company), as our friends in south Hampshire might write.  Cheesy

TransWilts advise (via Facebook, with a link to The Telegraph article) reads:

TransWilts ticket machine at Melksham is credit / debit card only ... Swindon, Chippenham, Trowbridge and Westbury have staffed ticket offices. So users of the Swindon to Westbury service are not likely to be amongst the "millions" facing "chaos". If you're unable to buy your ticket before boarding because the station facilities aren't available to take your payment, please buy your ticket from the train manager / conductor.

TransWilts trains run 9 times a day Monday to Friday between Swindon and Westbury - slightly less at the weekend. Off peak day return on direct trains - £7.40; £10.30 at peak (that's the earlier trains on Monday to Friday) all the way from Swindon to Westbury. Who said trains were expensive??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 11:31:08 »

All the machines in Cornwall have been updated for the new £1 coin and £5 note as of last week.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 11:39:17 »

There have been notices on some of the machines for months for non accessibility of the new £5 note - but also of the £10 note, not issued until June.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 14:35:18 »

Good point.

Grahame - are you seriously suggesting that they change the machines every time a coin or note either comes into use or no longer is legal tender?

In this case, that'll be 6 changes (& a further two when the current £20 is replaced) in about 2 years. Sensible use of our fares money?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 15:09:17 »

Good point.

Grahame - are you seriously suggesting that they change the machines every time a coin or note either comes into use or no longer is legal tender?

In this case, that'll be 6 changes (& a further two when the current £20 is replaced) in about 2 years. Sensible use of our fares money?

The Daily Telegraph in the original article states "Millions face rail chaos" and states that 11 out of 18 train operators haven't updated their machines.  So clearly there's a diversity of view as to what should be done, and a view expressed by the Telegraph - not normally a paper for making mountains out of mole hills - that many will be effected.   So I asked the question.

As the ticket machines at Melksham and Trowbridge don't take cash at all, and Chippenham, Swindon and Westbury are all staffed ticket offices at the times that people typically buy tickets, I have little local concern.  From TransWilts Facebook page:

TransWilts ticket machine at Melksham is credit / debit card only ... Swindon, Chippenham, Trowbridge and Westbury have staffed ticket offices. So users of the Swindon to Westbury service are not likely to be amongst the "millions" facing "chaos". If you're unable to buy your ticket before boarding because the station facilities aren't available to take your payment, please buy your ticket from the train ,manager / conductor.

TransWilts trains run 9 times a day Monday to Friday between Swindon and Westbury - slightly less at the weekend. Off peak day return on direct trains - £7.40; £10.30 at peak (that's the earlier. trains on Monday to Friday) all the ay from Swindon to Westbury. Who said trains were expensive??

I don't know what it would cost to make a change.  Some things turn out to be quick, cheap, easy where others which feel like they should be quick cheap and easy (such as selling super off peak tickets from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s front screen on days that super off peak is valid on every train) seem to be almost impossible.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 15:11:16 »

Good point.

I'll answer that if I may.

Yes.

The TOCs (Train Operating Company) should ensure all their TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) are able to accept coins and notes from the first day they are introduced. Cost, or impact on 'our fares money'* should not be an excuse to drag heels. These are costs to business that TOCs have plenty of notice of. Such costs should be part of the contract the TOCs have with their TVM suppliers/maintainers.

*Are you suggesting TOCs will only change their TVMs if they can pass the cost on to the passenger? How do you suggest the TOCs spin that?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 16:13:43 »

Such costs should be part of the contract the TOCs (Train Operating Company) have with their TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) suppliers/maintainers.

That's a very good point.  After all a TVM is not fit for purpose if it can't accept legal tender (ignoring those for which cash has been deliberately disabled).

The whole ticket purchasing process is way behind the times.  Just one example, think how much time would be saved by on train ticket sales if contactless was available, benefitting both the TOC and passengers. (Ignoring those who would prefer the TM(resolve) doesn't get to them.)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 16:30:39 »

Max take on contactless is £30
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 20:48:40 »

I have a machine for counting coins.

I sent it away on Tuesday to get modified for the new £1 coin.  Parcelforce took 24 hours longer than they should to deliver it to the manufacturers but when they did receive it they had it back in the post within three hours and I got it back on Friday.   The machine will now count the full range of coins including old and new £1.

Cost me £30.

Now if I can do it.....
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 20:53:13 »

Must remember to check the kids money boxes as well!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 20:55:50 »

Depending how wealthy they are - look for the old fivers - they cease to be legal tender in May.   Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 21:18:15 »

Cost me £30.

Now if I can do it.....

Anything with "railway" has an extra zero on the end ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: