Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:54:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Acceptance of new pound coins in ticket machines  (Read 13938 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 18:28:59 »

I suspect many if not the majority of TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) are in the 'old' variety
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 22:15:26 »

Where are these TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) that accept cash of any variety?  Huh

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 22:18:40 »

I haven't put a coin in a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) since - nope, can't remember. For a start, you don't get cashback using the old fashioned "hand money". Then you have to have the right stuff in your pocket, not falling down your trouser leg because of the hole all that metal has worn in your trouser pockets.

That said, I shall be off down Sainsbury with all my old pound coins very soon. The last I did that, half of them didn't work in the machine first time, and a couple wouldn't work at all. There are many duds in circulation, hence the change.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 10:58:52 »

From the GWR (Great Western Railway) website

New £5 and £10 notes and £1 coins

As we are sure you will know already, the Bank of England have recently introduced new £5 polymer notes, and new £1 coins and £10 polymer notes will also be released in March and September.

All of our ticket machines should be able to accept these by October 2017. But, in the meantime, please continue to use the older notes and coins if you have them. You can also buy tickets through our website, mobile app or any staffed ticket office.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Question just asked of me:   As it says "All of our ticket machines should be able to accept these by October 2017" does that means that machines like the one at Melksham, which at present only accepts debit and credit cards, will be accepting cash in the form of new style notes and pound coins by October?   I suspect not ... but it kinda says cash accepted by all TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) henceforth.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 11:10:30 »

The old £5 ceases to be legal tender after the 5th May, although retailers can accept it at their discretion. Might be a good way to get rid of any found lying around after that date.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:48 »

No, I suspect it should read that the machines that currently accept notes & cash will all be converted by October.....and don't expect any of them before the £10 polymer comes in either....and once c onverted, you'll need to use the £10 polymer only, even though the £10 paper note will still have a few months validity left then.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 12:45:59 »

The car parking machines at liskeard are accepting the new coins. So they've been done by whoever is responsible

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 13:26:10 »

APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area)?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 13:39:03 »

The car parking machines at liskeard are accepting the new coins. So they've been done by whoever is responsible

I've been told that it is only a software update for the new £1 coin, although I hesitate to believe that comment.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 17:07:34 »

I've been told that it is only a software update for the new £1 coin, although I hesitate to believe that comment.

They sort by size and weight for coins. It depends whether it works mechanically or electronically. If the latter then yes it will be a software update. If the earlier the coin sorter will need a physical upgrade.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 23:39:56 »

I used a privately operated car park machine over the weekend with a mixture of old and new pound coins, so it can be done!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 00:23:22 »

Two weeks ago, I tried to use several of the new one pound coins in a public car park ticket vending machine in the centre of Exeter.

It spat all of them out - but then accepted, without question, every one of the old style coins - including a couple which I thought looked a bit dodgy.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 16:19:59 »

An interesting development, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Royal Mint admits faulty £1 coins are in circulation

Some new £1 coins - introduced into circulation last month as the "most secure coin in the world" - may be defective, the Royal Mint has admitted.

It said that a "small number of coins" were affected when they were struck at a rapid rate during production.

The Royal Mint is striking 1.5 billion new 12-sided £1 coins, introduced to help crack down on counterfeiting.

Out of shape versions of the coin, considered collectors' items, are appearing on internet auction sites.

The Sun newspaper has spoken to a number of people reporting warped coins, although doubts have been raised about the cause of reported highly-damaged coins.

A spokeswoman for the Royal Mint, which produces three million new £1 coins a day at its headquarters in Llantrisant, South Wales, said: "The Royal Mint produces around five billion coins each year, and will be striking 1.5 billion new £1 coins in total. As you would expect, we have tight quality controls in place, however variances will always occur in a small number of coins, particularly in the striking process, due to the high volumes and speed of production."

The Mint has claimed the new £1 is the "most secure coin in the world", replacing the previous £1 coin, of which about one in 40 are thought to be fake.

Philip Munsell, director of Coin News magazine, told the BBC that only a tiny minority of these new coins would be affected, but that fact made them highly collectable. "The thing about the Royal Mint is that they are very, very good with their quality control, so therefore if you have something that has passed through without being quality checked then it is likely to be collectable, it is likely to therefore be worth more than one pound," he said.

He said that if the middle of the two-piece £1 coin was missing, it would not get through the quality checks.

The new coin has a string of anti-counterfeiting details, including material inside the coin itself which can be detected when electronically scanned by coin-counting or payment machines.

Other security measures include an image that works like a hologram, and micro-sized lettering inside both rims.

However, it is not the first currency launch to have hit problems in recent months.

Vegans and some religious groups have voiced concerns about the new polymer £5 note introduced in September last year, as it contains a small amount of tallow, which is derived from meat products.

Meanwhile, the old £1 coin remains as legal tender until 15 October this year, after which shops are under no obligation to accept it.

The new £1 coin: Vital statistics

Thickness: 2.8mm - thinner than old coin

Weight: 8.75g - lighter than old coin

Diameter: 23.43mm - larger than old coin

Number to enter circulation: 1.5 billion - about 23 per person. Old £1 coins will be melted down to make new ones

Outer ring: gold-coloured, made from nickel-brass

Inner ring: silver-coloured, made from nickel-plated alloy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 18:00:01 »

Interestingly the car park at Bodmin parkway doesn't accept them. I also noticed Bodmin parkway car park now has signs saying "reverse parking only"

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 19:46:07 »

Today I approached one of the TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at Wokingham (noting that it's been mended), intending to get rid of two old pound coins (given to me a few days ago in Waitrose, no doubt inadvertently). It wouldn't take either of them, so presumably it will now only accept new ones. I don't think that was true previously, after the new ones were make acceptable.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: