Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:40:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus route 49 - the TransWilts Express from Swindon to Trowbridge  (Read 1194 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:58:31 »

An enquiry in my "in box" ... data / news to pass on back would be gratefully received.

I’m looking to establish the history behind the inclusion on National Rail Enquiries, and the promotion (or lack of) of the current TransWilts Route 49 bus Timetables & Fares with onwards/feeder rail services at both Swindon and Trowbridge? I’ve discovered that ‘Devizes Bus’ (XAQ) exists on the National Rail Journey Planner as an ‘originating station’ (but not as a destination), and that journeys can only be booked for travel via Swindon (not Trowbridge). Interestingly, bus only journeys to Swindon can be purchased via National Rail, which is interesting. I also found it surprising that journeys can’t be booked to/from Avebury World Heritage Site which, from my own limited experience of leisure travel on Route 49, generates quite a few journeys by tourists – but could generate many more if the service was more widely advertised.

Yet if someone wishes to travel from ‘Devizes Bus’ (XAQ) for travel via Trowbridge, NRE(resolve) will only offer journey options via bus to SWINDON and thence onward by rail. Even more bizarre is if you request a journey from ‘Devizes Bus’ (XAQ) to Trowbridge (for which the 49 operates an hourly direct service), NRE will only offer journeys in the opposite direction to Swindon, thence via rail, at combined bus/rail fares several times the bus only fare! This does not, to my mind, appear to be a properly Integrated Bus-Rail link!!

I also found it surprising that journeys can’t be booked to/from Avebury World Heritage Site which, from my own experience of travel on Route 49, generates quite a few journeys by tourists – but could generate many more if the service was more widely advertised.

My thoughts:

The 49 service (they have used the “TransWilts Express” name for many years) started off as a government supported service from Swindon to Devizes under some form of rural development scheme which (no doubt) one of my contacts will be able to fill me in with in more detail.   Very much designed with Rail - Bus in mind, over the years it did / has run past the railway station to pick up / and / or to drop off, but with poor signage, a lack of advertising to train users, and a very high proportion of users travelling on the service to get to Swindon’s excellent town centre, the rail link has been a minor part of the traffic.

Tourism has been on and off the agenda for the service; some summers it was run by Thamesdown’s open top buses at weekends / on Sundays.

A logical route extension was to Trowbridge (I’m not sure what the previous service was on the  Devizes -> Seend -> Trowbridge main road)  and this was bolted on much later than the original service and (it would seem) road / rail link add-on stuff from the Swindon to Devizes section wasn’t extended.    Techically, it’s still two routes - Swindon to Devizes and Devizes to Trowbridge, but both have the same route numbers, there are through (bus) fares for those of us too young or travelling too early in the day to be on ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) passes, and even the vehicles go on through.  The timetables show an interesting “though connection” symbol.   This is done to keep the route within bus route limits rather than turn it into a long distance coach, which would require additional vehicle fitments such as tachographs and bring in a whole swathe of extra rules designed to ensure the safety of long distance lorries, but also applying to other ;long distance heavy vehicles.

I note that there are new registrations for the 49 from 30th April.  My understanding is that the Sunday service (which only runs Swindon to Devizes) may be become once every 2 hours, and that some “lightly used” runs at the beginning and end of the day are being withdrawn.  That has far more of a potential impact on commuters than others, though it will have a knock on effect in removing the traffic generated by the other half of return trips from people who use the lighter buses.   The statement is that the saving are promoted by Wiltshire Council to make “more efficient use of resources” - in other words a subsidy cut, but I’m unsure whether the particular runs concerned are presently subsidised, or whether the operator said he would need a subsidy in the future if they were to continue as they’re no longer viable commercially.

Also from 30th April, the Sunday service from Swindon to Marlborough and Pewesy is renumbered, rerouted, and reduced to just Swindon to Marlborough.  I need to check back, but I think the current Sunday service may run via Avebury, but the future one may not?

Corrections of fact welcome.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:28:29 »

Added to NRE(resolve) in FGW (First Great Western) days, when Wessex trains ran the local services. An update may be necessary with GWR (Great Western Railway) if you want to add further funtionality, but remember NRE isn't a bus database, and thus would only add in services where there is (already?) a flow of pax using train & connecting buses to reach a destination. Its not, I don't think, intended to be used as a marketing tool to keep bus services afloat.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:41:10 »

Also from 30th April, the Sunday service from Swindon to Marlborough and Pewesy is renumbered, rerouted, and reduced to just Swindon to Marlborough.  I need to check back, but I think the current Sunday service may run via Avebury, but the future one may not?

Corrections of fact welcome.

Just to note the changes are from 2nd April (next Sunday)

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-16/02/2017-11:40:05:800
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: