Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:42:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Basingstoke - Highbury & Islington  (Read 2906 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:16:56 »

There is a Super Off Peak Day Return fare ( code SOD  Shocked ) from Basingstoke to Highbury & Islington, route NOT LONDON, for £23.50. This is a Mon-Fri fare with time restrictions including not valid on trains due to arrive Waterloo before 12:00.

Can anyone figure out a way of buying and using this ticket on a valid route?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 03:35:17 »

Can anyone figure out a way of buying and using this ticket on a valid route?

Basigstoke station ticket office  Grin

Probably valid via North London Line or East London Line (but probably dates back to the days of the through Basignstoke to East Anglia trains?)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:40:41 »

Probably valid via North London Line or East London Line (but probably dates back to the days of the through Basignstoke to East Anglia trains?)

Yes go to Richmond via either Clapham Jn or Reading and then take the North London Line.
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:47 »

Blimey, even I know that it is called the London Overground, now !!

Anyway, a tip for southern based travellers that I recently learned, from Andover ticket office, is that the standard " London Terminals"  tickets on SW trains, EG from Basingstoke,  are also valid to Victoria, London Bridge ( by changing at Clapham Junction)  or Paddington via Reading. The latter particularly useful during the  all too frequent signals issues in South London.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:22:19 by teamsaint » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:48 »

The North London Line is only part of London Overground.  Just as on the underground we still need to use the names of individual lines to describe which one we mean. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 08:13:55 »

Indeed ... but "London Overground" covers multiple lines, and I chose my wording to pinpoint two of them that are potentially relevant in this case.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 08:20:20 »

Grin

Sorry.

In way over my head.

Great advice from everybody as usual.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:43:01 »

The simplest route I can think of is Clapham Junction, then Willesden Junction, then NLL to Highbury and Islington.  At times there is no need to change at Willesden Junction as the trains run through from Clapham Junction to Stratford.  There is another through service from Clapham Junction via the south London and East London lines but this passes through zone 1 so would probably be invalid as I assume "not London" precludes zone 1

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 10:24:35 »

The reason I posted the enquiry is that, as far as on line journey planners are concerned, the routes via Clapham Jn  and North London Line are NOT valid.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 10:28:32 »

Anyway, a tip for southern based travellers that I recently learned, from Andover ticket office, is that the standard " London Terminals"  tickets on SW trains, EG from Basingstoke,  are also valid to Victoria, London Bridge ( by changing at Clapham Junction)  or Paddington via Reading. The latter particularly useful during the  all too frequent signals issues in South London.

London Bridge via Clapham Junction. Interesting. How's that done? :-)
The latter is currently very un-useful as the Thames Valley get daily signal failures currently.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 10:34:06 »

The reason I posted the enquiry is that, as far as on line journey planners are concerned, the routes via Clapham Jn  and North London Line are NOT valid.

How do you know? You can't use a 'via' option, can you? Otherwise they look for the fastest journey between the two points, including tube where necessary. So you get Vauxhall via Clapham Junction offers, tather than the trip via Willesden Junction
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 10:57:46 »

How do you know? You can't use a 'via' option, can you? Otherwise they look for the fastest journey between the two points, including tube where necessary. So you get Vauxhall via Clapham Junction offers, tather than the trip via Willesden Junction

Yes you can use the National Rail site's "via" option (Willesden Junction). The appropriate journey is provided, changing once at Clapham Junction. But it offers split single tickets instead of a through fare.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03:47 »

It's a return fare, so you are putting in a return trip request as well for the same day?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 11:08:16 »

Anyway, a tip for southern based travellers that I recently learned, from Andover ticket office, is that the standard " London Terminals"  tickets on SW trains, EG from Basingstoke,  are also valid to Victoria, London Bridge ( by changing at Clapham Junction)  or Paddington via Reading.

A ticket from Basingstoke and points west on SWT (South West Trains), (but not from Fareham for some reason; I suspect because it is part of Portsmouth routeing group) is valid to 10 members of the "London Terminals" fares group, namely Paddington, Victoria, Vauxhall, Waterloo, Waterloo East, Charing Cross, Cannon St, London Bridge, Blackfriars, and City Thameslink.

Our tickets used to be issued to "London SR(resolve)" which included all those except Paddington.    Validity into Paddington has always been there since London Terminals came in, I have used it regularly over the years.   Many of the announcements made during disruption imply that ticket acceptance has "been arranged" on the GW (Great Western) route, but it is always there anyway, except for anyone travelling on a TOC (Train Operating Company) specific or geographically restricted route, such as via Woking.

The normal route if going to London Bridge is via Waterloo East; however you can also get from Clapham Junction to London Bridge using for example LO and SN changing at Denmark Hill.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:19:50 by paul7755 » Logged
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 11:11:36 »

The latter is currently very un-useful as the Thames Valley get daily signal failures currently.

Re London Bridge, yes sorry , my bad. Bloody amateurs eh ?  Smiley        ( Excuse, I  seldom go to LB)
I'm sure he  mentioned LB, so could he have meant  travelling on from waterloo East ?
I'll check next week if anybody is interested.

Sorry to hear about your TV signalling failures. Sad

Edit: Thanks to Paul7755 for clarifying about terminals.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:22:13 by teamsaint » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: