Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:56:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cup Final Day  (Read 7886 times)
81F
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:23:29 »

Oxford United football club are playing Coventry in the final of the Checkatrade Trophy at Wembley this afternoon.  Chiltern are running a much augmented service between Oxford and Wembley

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/OXP/2017/04/02/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Can't see any extra trains from Coventry
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:40:52 »

I had to google the Checkatrade Trophy to find out what that is. It's also called the EFL Trophy but for most of us we will know it better by its old name "The League Cup".

That's football if you're still not sure.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:29 »

I had to google the Checkatrade Trophy to find out what that is. It's also called the EFL Trophy but for most of us we will know it better by its old name "The League Cup".

It's not what was known as the league cup. It was the football league trophy- the one for tier 3 and 4 teams.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:44 »

Coventry fans have been told to catch trains from Warwick Parkway.

It's great to see a railway company stepping up and providing so much additional capacity for a major sporting event - something for GWR (Great Western Railway) to learn from.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 09:55:28 »

There was a poster up at Oxford last week about the game but I cannot for the life of me remember whether it was a Chiltern or GWR (Great Western Railway) one.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:11:31 »

The poster I have seen at Oxford is a GWR (Great Western Railway) one, although there may well be others.

Chiltern are advising people online to travel from Oxford Parkway, as some of the additional trains in the morning start from there and not Oxford to make it roughly 3-4 per hour. As well as the technical Sunday morning reasons there may be considerations on splitting the crowd somewhat.

However, coming back in the evening these additionals are going through to Oxford.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:16:47 by didcotdean » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:41:37 »

Good to see the additional trains, something Chiltern are well used to providing give they have the best station to get to Wembley Stadium on their route.  Sunday is the day when extra capacity is quite easy to resource, and I believe certain GWR (Great Western Railway) trains were being strengthened as well, though the majority of fans will be wanting to use Chiltern.  Oxford to Wembley is now so much easier with the new rail link and with Warwick proving a useful stop for the Coventry City fans (who outnumber Oxford United fans considerably), the well rehearsed queuing systems at Wembley Stadium will be stretched to the limit with the returning fans.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:22:58 »

Chiltern look to be struggling a bit at Wembley Stadium with delays of up to 20 minutes on arrivals from the north.  A more flexible layout would be useful there as only one platform for arrivals from the north has meant a constant flow of arrivals over the last couple of hours which doesn't take much to start getting knock-on delays from.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 13:24:28 »

There can't have been (m)any games before where Wembley Stadium station is the most convenient for both sets of team supporters to use. From memory (which may not be accurate) the throughput of the station is around 10,000 per hour in the stadium Travel Plan whereas Wembley Park is around 40,000. Oxford United have sold over 30,000 tickets.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 15:09:26 »

Plenty coming down from Oxford for the Boat race too, mostly into Paddington I expect?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 15:10:52 »

Plenty coming down from Oxford for the Boat race too, mostly into Paddington I expect?

Yes Oxford reached that final (again) too!   Grin

Could well take the Waterloo line from Reading.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 18:20:04 »

Yes Oxford reached that final (again) too!   Grin

Could well take the Waterloo line from Reading.

Has anyone else noticed that Napoleon is apparently the only military leader who finally 'met his Waterloo' at ... err, Waterloo?  Tongue Wink Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 19:09:44 »

Has anyone else noticed that Napoleon is apparently the only military leader who finally 'met his Waterloo' at ... err, Waterloo?  Tongue Wink Grin

I thought he was given the Elba.   Grin
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 19:22:20 »

It's not what was known as the league cup. It was the football league trophy- the one for tier 3 and 4 teams.

Oops...  Embarrassed I'm getting the changes to the names of cup/trophy competions and their sponsors confused.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 19:32:34 »

I thought he was given the Elba.   Grin

That was before he met his, or anyone else's, Waterloo. Afterwards, where was he Saint? Helena handcart!*

* In practice HMS Northumberland was preferred, due to the shortage of seaworthy handcarts at the time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: